Norwood, MA - DEAD ZONE
electriccentric

Norwood, MA 02062, on the Westwood line -  is there anything in the works to better the non-existent reception in this area? I believe Westwood does not have (allow) cell towers and we are on the town line getting the worst of it. AT&T customers do not seem to have this problem though, so after over a decade of being a Verizon customer, I think I'm going to be forced to switch over. I'm not paying $250 for a network extender that has horrible reviews everywhere I look. Seems like a waste of money to try to have a service that I'm already paying for. My boyfriend works from home and I occasionally do as well. It is impossible to conduct business without phone access when there are frequent conference calls and clients that must be attended to. Our options seem to be to move or change cellular providers. This is a last ditch inquiry to see if there is any intention on Verizon Wireless's part to install cell towers in this general area, otherwise, I see no other option for the both of us.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Norwood, MA - DEAD ZONE
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Electriccentric,

We want you to have best device signal everywhere you go! 10 years of loyalty is awesome and we would never want to see you go. When did the issue start? What device do you have? The issue only occurs indoors in your home?

Thanks,
PamelaF_VZW
Tweet us @vzwsupport

0 Likes
electriccentric

When I switched to Verizon a million years ago, it was because my family's house was a dead-zone and after switching, I never had a problem again. They jumped on board soon after and have been loyal customers ever since. I've had close to a dozen addresses since then and never once had a reception issue until now, and it's BAD.

I call my family a lot when I'm on my way home from work and every night, when I reach the intersection of East Street and Washington Street in Westwood, my call drops. Unless I luck out and make it through the light there adn there is no traffic. Otherwise, dropped call. I wait until my car makes it to Clapboardtree Street and call back. I'm fine until I pull into the entrance of my apartment complex. It's not a building but a series of townhouses. I lose reception as soon as I pull into the entrance. I may get it back depending on where I park, but typically, all hope is lost.

Inside the apartment is the same. Dead. Some days are worse than others and I'm able to connect to the occasional conference call by propping my phone up at a certain angle in the bedroom window, muting myself and putting the meeting on speakerphone. My boyfriend and I rotate between this occasional lucky spot as it is our only way of communicating by phone as this point, and it's ridiculous.

We talked about getting a landline and doing a cable package, but for some reason Fios isn't available in our townhouses and as the office made it sound, never will be. I've had the worst experiences with Comcast, so, no thank you. And there's a cable/internet/phone option through our electric company which seems weird. We are using them for internet service right now and it's pretty good, but really, it was our only option outside of Comcast. The two buildings that were recently built have FIOS options... but not us.

So, since we would prefer to rely on our cell phones for everything, we are left with having to change providers. We are new to the area but we were told by our building manager that Westwood has no towers and that is why we aren't getting a signal. I looked at the Verizon coverage map and it LOOKS like we should be okay, but we aren't. I'm not sure where Norwood's towers are, but we are evidently too far away to pick up the signal. The people in the building office all have AT&T, some had recently switched, and they said they had no issues after the changed to AT&T. I'm not sure why that works, but I held one of their phones in my hand and saw the three bars/dots on there iphone next to mine which had none.

So really, this is a last ditch effort to try to figure out why it's so bad and if there is any plans to improve it on Verizon's end. I'm a little disappointed by the reviews of the Network Extender and honestly, I don't think I should have to pay $250 for something might allow me to use a service that I'm already paying for especially with the way it works. If I'm paying $120 a month for a service, I think it should work. Always.

0 Likes
electriccentric

^Sorry about the spelling/grammar issues up there. Typing fast. Smiley Happy

Also wanted to note that I have an iphone 5S and my boyfriend has some king of LG basic phone with a touch screen.

We moved to this address in May. It's Norwest Drive - a rental community called Norwest Woods if you want to look at the coverage map.

0 Likes