New to Mobile Data & Internet - Questions
stardust920

As of now, I don't use internet on my phone.  But I see that Verizon is now requiring the purchase of some sort of data package with most of their phones.  I've decided that if I am going to get internet on my phone, I might as well get unlimited data at $29.99/month.  I currently have the 450 minutes/month Nationwide individual plan with a $10/month text plan.

I have several questions:

~Some phones are listed as having an HTML web browser while some phones are listed as being HTML web browser "capable". 

-Do both of these types of phones have HTML web browsers or does one require something extra to make it have an HTML web experience? 

-Do you have access to the "full" internet with these phones?  I know with most phones, you have access to basic things online, but some phones can access almost all sites. 

-What is the full internet browsing experience with a Smartphone (say a Blackberry) vs. a 3G Multimedia phone (say an LG enV3?)

-Does the use of HTML web browsing require the purchase of an additional plan or the download of an additional feature  (other than the $29.99/month unlimited data plan)?

-Is Mobile Web included with my plan or does it require an additional monthly fee?

-What is the difference between Mobile Web and Mobile Broadband plans?  Does the use of an HTML browser on the phone require a subscription to a Mobile broadband plan?

-What is a Mobile Email subscription?  Can't I just log into my email from the Mobile Web browser and check it for free?

Sorry for all the questions.  I just find that the more information I seek out, the more I get confused.  I just want to make sure I make the most informed decision when I'm due for my phone upgrade. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: New to Mobile Data & Internet - Questions
lalalamesss
Contributor - Level 1
stardust920 wrote:

As of now, I don't use internet on my phone.  But I see that Verizon is now requiring the purchase of some sort of data package with most of their phones.  I've decided that if I am going to get internet on my phone, I might as well get unlimited data at $29.99/month.  I currently have the 450 minutes/month Nationwide individual plan with a $10/month text plan.

I have several questions:

~Some phones are listed as having an HTML web browser while some phones are listed as being HTML web browser "capable". YOU'RE PAYING FOR UNLIMITED, GO FOR AN ADVANCED DEVICE.

-Do both of these types of phones have HTML web browsers or does one require something extra to make it have an HTML web experience?  NO

-Do you have access to the "full" internet with these phones?  I know with most phones, you have access to basic things online, but some phones can access almost all sites. ONLY ON ADV DEVICES, EVERYTHING ELSE IS "MOBILE" VERSION OF THE WEB PAGE.

-What is the full internet browsing experience with a Smartphone (say a Blackberry) vs. a 3G Multimedia phone (say an LG enV3?) SMARTPHONE = WEB PAGES SIMILAR TO WHAT YOU WOULD GET ON A COMP.; "3G MULTIMEDIA" = POO BROWSER

-Does the use of HTML web browsing require the purchase of an additional plan or the download of an additional feature  (other than the $29.99/month unlimited data plan)? NO.

-Is Mobile Web included with my plan or does it require an additional monthly fee? INCLUDED ON ADV AND MULTIMEDIA DEVICES

-What is the difference between Mobile Web and Mobile Broadband plans?  Does the use of an HTML browser on the phone require a subscription to a Mobile broadband plan? UH... MOBILE WEB = CELL PHONE INTERWEBZ, MOBILE BROADBAND = TEATHERING / AIRCARD USE IN WHICH YOU WOULD PLUG A USB MODEM INTO YOUR COMPUTER AND HAVE THE INTERWEBZ

-What is a Mobile Email subscription?  Can't I just log into my email from the Mobile Web browser and check it for free? NOTHING IS FREE. MOBILE EMAIL IS AN APP AND IT COMES WITH YOUR DATA PLAN; IF YOU WERE TO CHECK IT ON YOUR BROWSER, YOU WOULD BE CHARGER PER MB. I SUPPOSE IT DOESN'T MATTER SINCE YOU WANT UNLIMITED.

Sorry for all the questions.  I just find that the more information I seek out, the more I get confused.  I just want to make sure I make the most informed decision when I'm due for my phone upgrade. 

If you're going with unlimited interwebz, I would just go ahead and put down the extra money for the Blackberry or Droid. You have the same monthly fee, plus a way  better phone with a capable browser. You seem to want something more functionable than a "multimedia" device.

0 Likes
stardust920

I think the best option for me is to go with a Blackberry with the $29.99/month unlimited data plan.  If I'm going to pay for unlimited data, then I want a full internet experience.  I know someone with a Droid and it is a bit heavy and clumsy for my taste plus I'm not a fan of the touch screen.

Thank you so much for answering all of my questions.

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

I agree with lalalamesss ... if you will be using it for web browsing, you will not be happy with a multimedia phone. Also, you get quite a bit with unlimited data ... apps, games, streaming music, chat and messenger services. There are some apps that aren't free, but do not worry about buying ringtones ... go to CrackBerry and just look at the list of free ringtones ... I've found everything I could ever want there.

Enjoy your new BB, whatever you get!

0 Likes