New iPhone 5S and increasing data charges
radmama0405

Ever since I got my iPhone 5S, I have been going over my data. I have not used my phone anymore than I use to. I use to have a 2GB plan and would only use 1.5GB. Now I have updated my plan to 4GB due to the overage charge after my first month of having the new phone, and still I am getting overages. Anyone else have that issue? My 2 year average data usage has been less than 2GB. Why all of a sudden with a new phone and I getting overage charges when I am not using my phone any more than I normally do!!! It took my bill from $133 to $203, for 1 smartphone and 1 regular phone.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: New iPhone 5S and increasing data charges
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello radmama0405,

Here I am to save the day! I can assist with verifying your data usage. May I ask what data services are you using? Are you downloading more apps? Also, what model was your previous device? As you share the details then we can assist.

Thank you…

ArnettH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Sannie7

I feel the same is happening to me too.

0 Likes
BBJR71

You are not the only one. 2 of my coworkers and I have all noticed an unexplained spike in data usage with Verizon. 1 droid, 1 IPhone and 1 IPad, so it may not be your device. Even their Tech 2 reps can not explain how I had almost 1 GB of usage in under a day when I am not streaming any music or video and have all apps shut down except maybe 1-2 games. My average usage for the past 6 months usually is well below 3 GB of my 4 GB plan, and this includes 2 other smartphones. But just in the last 3 days, 19-21st, I had almost 1.5-2 GB usage.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Sannie7!

I'm concerned about your unexplained data usage spike as well!  I would love to assist in addressing this concern for you.

Are you also using the same model device, the Apple iPhone 5S?  If so, what is your device current software version http://vz.to/1qU6NrB?  Has your device recently had any software updates?  Do you utilize your device WiFi feature when available?  If so, how often are you connected to a WiFi hotspot?

Lastly, I would like for you to optimize your iPhone 5S data usage by following these steps: http://vz.to/1oXrUuB.  This way we can see which applications are using more cellular data.  Keep me posted so that I can further assist.

AnthonyTa_VZW

0 Likes
Sannie7

Yes, I am using an iphone 5S. I am using OS 7.1.1. (latest version).  I do use Wifi whenever possible (which is whenever I am at home).

I am not doing anything different than before I upgraded to the 5S. I had an iphone 4 before. I always used around 1-1.5GB of data. Now, I regularly go over 2GB, scratching 3GB. I am not streaming music and/or movies on my phone. I use photo apps, but not more than before.

It seems a lot of people have been noticing the spike in data usage.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for this update Sannie7. The other difference may be that since your phone is capable of faster speeds, certain apps may be utilizing the faster speeds for better quality. You may also have a configuration option that allows your phone to update via cellular services. These can be configured by checking Settings>Cellular. Just scroll all the way down to see what apps are using 3G/4G.

NicandroN_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Sannie7

I've checked off all the settings that I could, but the data usage hasn't changed.

In fact, I've noticed it is using data even when the phone is completely turned off and at times when I am definitely not using my phone (like in the middle of the night).

To be quite honest, the data usage information that is displayed under my account is not very useful either because it's very hard to tell what the displayed usage actually was for.

How is the usage displayed? I noticed that sometimes there are repeating times, like 5:22 am, 11:22 p.m. for a couple of days in a row with no actual way to tell when data was actually used (because I am usually asleep at the time).

Can you shed some light on this?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Sannie
The device will attempt to update even when its not used. Some Apps can check for updates multiple times. You can also turn off cellular data when not using to assist. To do this try Menu>Settings>Cellular

JoeL_VZW

0 Likes
sjmom
Enthusiast - Level 1

Has this issue been addressed and fixed anywhere? Our 6 gb data was plenty until the last few months. It is highway robbery if you ask me.

0 Likes