Re: New Verizon Wireless Plans Effective August 13, 2015
lewisr13
Champion - Level 1

Veritas852 wrote:

OK, so right now I'm paying $130 (+ tax) for 2 smartphone lines with 3 GB.

It is my understanding that line charges will be $20 per phone ($40) and 3 GB will be $45, meaning that my bill would now be $85/month + paying for devices instead of getting "discounts." Is that right, guys? Thanks.

If your 2 smartphones are out of contract that would be correct. If you purchased the smartphones under an edge agreement you would still have to pay the edge payments on top of that.

Weth
Legend

Correct, you will not get the $20/month line charge until your phone is finished with its current contract, from what has been written so far.

rcschnoor
Legend

Veritas852 wrote:

OK, so right now I'm paying $130 (+ tax) for 2 smartphone lines with 3 GB.

It is my understanding that line charges will be $20 per phone ($40) and 3 GB will be $45, meaning that my bill would now be $85/month + paying for devices instead of getting "discounts." Is that right, guys? Thanks.

Not sure what you mean by "paying for devices instead of getting 'discounts'"?

CURRENTLY if you are on a More Everything plan and out of contract you are eligible for a discount on a device when making a purchase. Doesn't matter how you pay for that device. If you purchase it when signing a new 2 yr contract, you are CURRENTLY eligible for a ~$400 discount on the price of that phone. If you purchase at full retail up front, you are CURRENTLY eligible for a $15/month or $25/month line access fee discount for staying off contract(which works out to a $360 or $600 discount over the next 2 yrs). If you purchase on DPP(Edge) you are CURRENTLY eligible for a $15/month or $25/month as long as you are making DPP/Edge payments(which works out to a $360 or $600 discount over the next 2 yrs).

So to answer your question, regardless of how you "pay" for your device you are eligible for a discount.

After 8/13, with no 2 yr service contracts available you will either pay for your device up front at full retail cost or on DPP/Edge and smartphone line access fees will drop from $40 to $20 which works out to a $480 discount over the next 2 yrs.

Veritas852
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sorry for the confusion. What I meant was that I believe we are on "More Everything" and the way we usually do it is wait until the upgrade date and then upgrade *at a discount* with a new 2 year contract.

Now my question is this. My contract expires in January of next year, but my wife's contract (also on my plan) doesn't expire until January of the following year. Can we both switch to the monthly plan immediately? Can I switch to monthly once my contract expires, but still have my wife's (2 year contract) on the plan? Or do we have to wait until her contract expires before we go monthly? Thanks again.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Things will become much clearer after the 13th, but my understanding is you can change to the new plan after the 13th with all your lines. You can get the new data packages, but any line still under contract will continue to pay $40/month access fee and not the $20/month access fee. Once that contract is completed, the charge will drop automatically to $20/month.

SydneyK
Master - Level 3

Weth is correct about phones on contract paying $40/month until contract end date, then it drops to $20 for monthly access. This is the "restriction" referred to in an earlier post.

823caleb
Enthusiast - Level 2

We have 250Mb of data and don't even use that.  We don't need 1GB.  I still have a little over a year on my contract so we will stay on the More Everything plan.  If I have to pay full price for a new phone I will buy it from another source.  Since I  get poor reception on my phone and am told by tech support that I am in a marginal zone and they won't do anything about it I won't let them make a profit on the phone.

0 Likes
frommage
Contributor - Level 2

The carriers pay the same full retail cost. No profit.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Did ya'll see some of the Data Packages who" some of them higher ones stack in GB's but the Cost O" my they'd run ya out Town paying what they want.. my wonder is who is ever going to use 100GB's I don't think I'll ever in my Lifetime use that much but who knows them Netflix they can be fun to watch..

• 20GB – $120
  • 25GB – $175
  • 30GB – $224
  • 40GB – $300
  • 50GB – $375
  • 60GB – $450
  • 80GB – $600
  • 100GB – $750
MrsHatch
Enthusiast - Level 1

Sorry but I am still confused. I have 5 lines of service, all 2 year contracts, in contract until 2016 and 2017. If we want the new plan, can we switch and what do we do to get devices!?

0 Likes