Re: New Data Requirement!
ccwinchester

larrwill wrote:

This has been going on long enough for Verizon to know there is a problem. I was contacted by a customer service rep and told there might be a change but since nothing has come forth I don't think Verizon cares. We can all post here until this thread gets to 100 pages and nothing will change.

At this point I don't care if AT&T has a similar requirement and I have to get a crappy phone, I am switching from Verizon just because I am so angry. I like getting away from CDMA and Verizon's lock down anyway.

I was able to get mine taken off, blocked and not paying for it on an Alias 2.  Rep said their system is updating and that there are other phones that it can be removed.  She couldn't tell me which ones but for sure the Touch, Envy 3 and Rogue are ones that nothing can be done about it.  I'm sure all are still advertised with it.  I guess everyone just has to call in and ask. 

0 Likes
ccwinchester

vinnylawless wrote:

(serenevey wrote:

phones REQUIRE data support. It's their whole purpose. Verizon's not making you buy the fancy touch screen phone and I can guarantee any phone company you go to will tell you the same thing...The device won't function properly without it. I work for one of these Major Phone Companies (which I won't say)).

I also worked for one of the major carriers (Verizon) and I can say for a fact that the above statement is untrue and a flat out lie! That is the VERY excuse they give to try and justify the cost of the data plan.

Firmware upgrades can be downloaded and installed via the phones "Get it now" app or with a call to the *228 number if required.

Hey I agree, I was told that excuse that my phone wouldn't work properly with out it.  I asked her, I bought it before the 18th so your telling me it would not work before on the 17th?  But me paying 9.99 is going to make it work right?  Why did you sell me a phone that woudn't work then.  And how does my money change its performance?  And of course she coudn't justify that excuse so she started rambling and trying to come up with other excuses for the charge.  When it came down to it my samsung glide had mobile web, etc. and it doesn't require the plan but my Alias which has the same mobile web did, she coudn't explain with the diffference was.  Data is data on all the phones, it is just a way to get money  out of us, it has nothing to do with 3G or anything else.  She said that Verizon is moving in that direction and it has nothing to do with the phones themselves.  

0 Likes
ccwinchester

krafft34 wrote:
Honestly some of these posts are just silly. You wanted them to send out a mass text message to all 80 million customers to let them know that some of the phones have an HTML browser and would need internet!!!!!! First off, YOU are the ones that are picking phones that do not suit your needs. Why go with a phone that does everything and you do not want everything...other than a full kayboard! They tell you, BEFORE you buy the phone, whether or not you need a data package. So I guess they are money hungry because they tell you all the requirements before hand. And correct me if I am wrong, but all of these phones take you to the same 3G network and the same "largest fastest Verizon Wireless Network!" So when people say dumbphone, they really just mean a phone that doesn't have a HTML browser. WOW look at that, you don't want internet and there are phones out there that do NOT require it! Who would have thought about it. Wow that phone even has a full keyboard and a MP3 player! Crazy stuff that they have options and you pick the one that has all the bells and whistles and you want none of it. If you just want to make calls, pick a phone that makes calls! Verizon has the right to do whatever they want with the proper contract and explanation to the customer. Calling the FCC or writing the attourney general because you are mad is not going to solve your problems. If you want choices, you have the CHOICE of going to another carrier, like AT&T. They have phones that have keyboards that REQUIRE text messaging. Crazy people?! More requirements?! Who would have guessed! All companies have some type of contract or requirement. It is your ultimate decision on what you do. If you pick a phone that has email and internet capability and you don't need it....then you don't need that phone. Options are an amazing thing. Besides, 10$ a month for a feature to make you happy, either pay for it or leave. But when you start using the internet like crazy and thought you would never do it, don't call Verizon customer service and complain about a $3000 bill because you used something you thought you wouldn't need. Just saying....we all have options! Don't blame the carrier because you don't want to research!

As far back as I can remember over the past 10yrs every phone I have ever had had the mobile web so to anyone to say, pick one without it.  My husbands plain bleak little moto even has mobile web.  There is nothing special or different in conecting the web from his phone and connecting from mine, Alias 2 other than a set fee of 9.99.  Oh they say you can get email with it, I have a computer.  Plus to use the email feature you have to pay even more money.  Verizon has just decided to make some money by adding the requirement to all the new phones.  Everyone's situation is different and noone should be saying what we should do or not do.  We should be able to have a phone that is just as nice  as those who use data can have, just because we don't want the interent , can't afford the fees, don't want out children to have the access 24/7.  There is a difference in wanting a phone with music, camera, keyboard, etc and one with interent and email.  So what if it has html and email, that is just two of the features the phones have and just because it has them don't mean I should pay extra for not using it.   I garantee you there are probably more people who talk and text that don't use data,  looking at the forum there are a bunch of us. Maybe Verizon should make the data phones boring as ever so anyone who thinks we are "Crazy" won't have any choices either. 

0 Likes
lrando1
Contributor - Level 1

I am happy for you that you did not have to take on this package. HOWEVER, I think it has more to do with the fact you purchased it before the plan took effect and the only hitch was your activating it. I can certainly see why you would fight this as I would. And although Verizon doesn't do it often, letting you slide on the package was the right thing to do. Their quote that some phones will still require it, like the Env3 makes no sense. Why? the env3 is similar to the alias2 except for design. They both have the exact same features. I know because I have the Alias 2 and hubby has Env3.

If you talk to enough verizon reps, you will finally "hear" what you want. Whether they then do it, is another thing. I've had 3-4 tell me one thing. When I call and talk to the final one they always say "oh no that rep didn't understand" or "Oh he must have been new, he isn't right." Gets to the point you don't know which one to believe. I have called them with different issues. They will tell me it's all taken care of. But then the issue still exists. And I have to call again. Usually then I "misunderstood what the rep told you." Ya that's it. 

The end result is I have nnnooo problem with these plans. I think they are wonderful for people that want them. I don't, so don't make me take it.

0 Likes
vinnylawless

"Verizon has the right to do whatever they want with the proper contract and explanation to the customer. Calling the FCC or writing the attourney general because you are mad is not going to solve your problems."

MMMMMMM, well, yes it did actually. I wanted a phone with PDA functionality but I did not want a data plan to go with it. I wrote to the FCC as well as multiple other organizations. Guess what? I received a phone call from Lisa Bennett from Executive VP at Corporate home office. She asked me what she could do to make things right. I told her she could send me a blackberry and not charge me the data plan. Well of course she said that she couldn't do that but she was willing to work with me. What else could she do to help resolve my issue. I told her that I used the Moto Q and was very happy with it but the phone had crapped out a while ago and was unusable. I told her I would be happy if she could get me a replacement. Well, she asked if she could put me on hold for a moment and I said sure. In about five minutes she came back on the line and said she had good news and bad news. The bad news is the Moto Q is no longer available. The good news is that she has a new Moto Q9m and it does not require a data plan, would it be alright if she sent it out to me!! I said it would be fantastic if she would do that as the Q had the functionality that I wanted but it didn't require a data plan. The phone should be arriving at my door within the next couple of hours (she sent it out two day Feted) and even better... I get to use it for a while before I decide if I want it or not. If I send it back, she will try to find another phone that will work for me and does not require a data plan!!!

You can't beat that kind of response with a stick!!!! I mean, I know it;s not a Blackberry and all and it's an older model phone but dang... I liked the Q and this is the newer version of it so I am as happy as a pig in poop over this!!

Don't let anyone tell you that complaining doesn't get results because it worked for me!!!  Thank you Lisa for taking the time to address my concerns and for the new phone that meets my needs!!

0 Likes
TheLimey
Enthusiast - Level 2

vinnylawless wrote:

(serenevey wrote:

phones REQUIRE data support. It's their whole purpose. Verizon's not making you buy the fancy touch screen phone and I can guarantee any phone company you go to will tell you the same thing...The device won't function properly without it. I work for one of these Major Phone Companies (which I won't say)).

I also worked for one of the major carriers (Verizon) and I can say for a fact that the above statement is untrue and a flat out lie! That is the VERY excuse they give to try and justify the cost of the data plan.

Firmware upgrades can be downloaded and installed via the phones "Get it now" app or with a call to the *228 number if required.

As of 2/13/10 my fiance and I are no longer customers of VZW. We are now with T-mobile. I used to have them and get good coverage in my area. Got a great phone  (Samsung Memoir) that I can make calls, text, take pictures on without having to add a data pack. I believe it is actually classified as a "smartphone"  and it is working just fine without a data pack. I don't actually need a smartphone but it was free and has an 8 mp camera and one of those "fancy" touch screens.

Also am getting more minutes and unlimited texting for less than I was being charged at verizon.

As I have said before I refuse to pay for something I don't want or need just so I can get a decent messaging phone. (I actually had the web blocked on my enV2.) We did have to pay an ETF to verizon but will break even after a year because we're paying less to T-mobile.

When I called to get my account number from verizon the rep knew why I was asking for it. Right away he wanted to know if I was terminating our accounts. I told him yes and he asked why. I told him because of the new data requirement on any decent messaging phone. He asked me if I would stay if he could find a way around that. I explained that I had sent 2 e-mails and taken the verizon survey (gave them a 0) and had no response whatsoever, so no he could not change my mind. At this point he didn't even bother to argue with me or persuade me to stay he just gave me my account number.

0 Likes
ham10814
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am so disturbed by Verizon wireless business practice of forcefully making people pay for a data plan that they do not want.   I qualify for an upgrade, BUT there are no texting friendly phones out there without data plan requirements.  What a crock!!!   I only use the phone for texting and calling, I am SO displeased!!!!  I was told by a representative that if I purchase a phone, Verizon would AUTOMATICALLY tack on the $10 data plan charge, regardless if I was aware of it or not??  What else are we being charged for that we don't know about??  I have a 14 year old daughter who needs a new phone, NOW VERIZON is opening up the internet for my daughter to access at any time and anywhere.  In a day, where every parent is being required to monitor internet usage on their children, VERIZON has trumped that.  So, now any preditor can know where my child is because VERIZON is opening up the internet on these phones with the data plan we are REQUIRED to purchase with these plans.  I see no where, where I can block the internet!!  OHH, OHHHH, so I block the internet and downloads and I am paying for something I don't use and don't want in the first place.  My husband has an ENVY 2 phone that we purchased in 2009, before the hammer went down.  We have no data plan purchased for this phone, it works perfectly and now if I was purchase it right now I would be required to purchase the data plan.  That is say once again, is ABSOLUTELY RIDICUOUS!!!   Thanks for giving your loyal customers NOTHING!!!!!  I have been a Verizon customer for 10 years.

0 Likes
ham10814
Enthusiast - Level 2

My huband has an Alias 2 that now requires a data plan.  We don't have a data plan with that phone because he purchased it before this data plan MESS began.  His phone works perfectly he uses the features HE WANTS.  It's his choice not to use the phone to it's fullest capabilities not VERIZON's. 

0 Likes
MarkC

My daughter is pretty rough on her phones and was ready for a new phone. I went on the Verizon site and saw that to replace her current LG-Dare with a new LG Dare I would now be required to purchase a $9.99 data package. A call to Verizon confirmed that this was the truth and that's when I hit the roof. I pay $135 a month for 4 phones in a family plan with a company discount and now they want to add another $9.99 a month/phone extra on any decent texting phone. I don't want my kids to have internet access. I wrote them a letter telling them how I have been a happy customer for years with my land line, DSL service and was looking forward to getting Fios when it's available in my area. Their customer service is top notch but after this change in policy I have come to look at Verizon as just another money grubbing company not interested in what services I  WANT my kids to have access to. A look at the choices of phones not requiring the data plan was terrible and my kids wanted nothing to do with any of those phones.  Unless they change this policy I plan to let all my phones contracts run out and switch to another carrier with a more friendly policy.

MarkC

Doylestown PA

0 Likes
ham10814
Enthusiast - Level 2

My sentiments exactly.  I even emailed the CEO of Verizon with those same concerns and recieved a phone call 2 days later from some representative from his office.  In a nut shell, she was still trying to sell me on  their scam of a data plan and the crappy phones I had to chose from that didn't require the data plan. I basically told her, to read the blogs on this website and if they continue these practices they will be losing alot of customers.  Do they care????

0 Likes