Re: New Data Requirement!
sayno2data

plans are so **bleep** they also took away the connect plan which shows they only did this to make more money here is an example

To some people the added $9.99 a month is not a huge deal, until you look at families let me give you a instance in our case, we have a 700 min family share with 3 lines and no data ( we don’t need a data plan we just talk and text) before taxes and the ton of fees it is 109.98 per month IF we wanted unlimited data on all 3 lines BEFORE Jan 18th 2010 we could have had the Connect plan for $139.98 before taxes ect.

NOW for the exact same plan with unlimited data, it is 199.95 before taxes ect. For the Same plan as BEFORE Jan 18th 2010.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=257808747739&ref=mf

0 Likes
wyldfyre13

Add my complaint to the list.  I only use my phone for talking and texting.  Why should I have to pay for a data plan that I won't use?  I agree, it is very greedy of them.  And sneaky.  They're doing it to pay for their new unlimited plans and the more expensive phones that they're selling for cheap.  I called and wrote to complain and got the brush off.  What are people going to do that have four phones on the family plan?  That's 40 extra per month.  I hope that if enough people complain that they will eliminate this requirement.  If not, I'm leaving once my plan is done. I think many people will.  I know all my friends are planning on leaving. And I think Verizon will be hurting after that!

0 Likes
Natickite

CNN Money:Your cell phone company's dirty little secret - February 10

http://money.cnn.com/2010/02/10/technology/cell_phone_bill/

As of today there are 197 comments to this article!

There are two other educated commentaries on the data plan here:

1. Yet Another Telecom 'Price War' -- That Isn't:

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Yet-Another-Telecom-Price-War-That-Isnt-106501

2. CNN: Mandatory Data Plans, High 3G Prices Are 'Fun'
Socking you with higher fees and overages is for your own good...

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/CNN-Mandatory-Data-Plans-High-3G-Prices-Are-Fun-106838?nocomment=...

Will Verizon and AT&T catch on that they've gone to far?

0 Likes
lrando1
Contributor - Level 1

LOVE this quote from article:

"Many customers didn't understand they could use the Web on their phones," said Brenda Raney, spokeswoman for Verizon Wireless. "We hope that people who were reluctant to use data plans because they didn't know it was affordable will use them now."

In theory...this is great. I have no problem with this. But don't FORCE us. Put out a PR campaign explaining all the wonderful things you can do with your phone. Then let people buy the packages they want!

0 Likes
Mandatory Data Plans
gkingga

There is no justification for making a mandatory price plan for one feature when all other features are optional. A mandatory fee is coming out for data even if it is not used. No refund is being offered if zero data is used. This is corporate robbery and not a part of the customer service promise that Verizon stands for. Verizon does have the best coverage, they are also the most expensive cell provider available. It is not good business to tag on extra fees, Verizon's customers already pay enough. I am leaving Verizon, this is ridiculous and really should be investigated by the better business bureau, verizon's policy makers, and the cell phone industry. True, a private corporation does have freedom to choose their products and services, and the mandatory data plans are def a money maker. But this policy is a flub to all reasonable people. What is Verizon going to say next: "If u don't want data plans switch to prepaid?"

0 Likes
Finally yes they can block that data on most phones because I got it done for my new Alias 2
ccwinchester

Amazing, finally yes they can block that data on most phones because I got it done for my new Alias 2. Certain phones may not accept the block for example Rogue, Envy touch, and Envy 3.  Not sure about others, rep said it depended on the phone.  Contrary to what the 1st, 2nd, 3rd rep said, lucky #4 took care of it.  We will have to wait and see if she actually managed it, 

0 Likes
ham10814
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am so disturbed by Verizon wireless business practice of forcefully making people pay for a data plan that they do not want.   I qualify for an upgrade, BUT there are no texting friendly phones out there without data plan requirements.  What a crock!!!   I only use the phone for texting and calling, I am SO displeased!!!!  I was told by a representative that if I purchase a phone, Verizon would AUTOMATICALLY tack on the $10 data plan charge, regardless if I was aware of it or not??  What else are we being charged for that we don't know about??  I have a 14 year old daughter who needs a new phone, NOW VERIZON is opening up the internet for my daughter to access at any time and anywhere.  In a day, where every parent is being required to monitor internet usage on their children, VERIZON has trumped that.  So, now any preditor can know where my child is because VERIZON is opening up the internet on these phones with the data plan we are REQUIRED to purchase with these plans.  I see no where, where I can block the internet!!  OHH, OHHHH, so I block the internet and downloads and I am paying for something I don't use and don't want in the first place.  My husband has an ENVY 2 phone that we purchased in 2009, before the hammer went down.  We have no data plan purchased for this phone, it works perfectly and now if I was purchase it right now I would be required to purchase the data plan.  That is say once again, is ABSOLUTELY RIDICUOUS!!! 

0 Likes
Re: Finally yes they can block that data on most phones because I got it done for my new Alias 2
lrando1
Contributor - Level 1

ccwinchester wrote:

Amazing, finally yes they can block that data on most phones because I got it done for my new Alias 2. Certain phones may not accept the block for example Rogue, Envy touch, and Envy 3.  Not sure about others, rep said it depended on the phone.  Contrary to what the 1st, 2nd, 3rd rep said, lucky #4 took care of it.  We will have to wait and see if she actually managed it, 

I am pretty sure ANY phone can have the data access blocked. I have it blocked on my husbands Env3 as he was going on accidentally, so I blocked it. Having it blocked and paying for it are 2 different things. If the phone requires a data package they may have added it to your phone THEN blocked internet access. Many parents have been reduced to doing this as the kids want a good texting phone but parents don't want kids on internet. I feel bad for parents now who are trying to protect kids from internet creeps by monitoring their use and now the kids carry the internet around with them. So a lot of parents have just bit the bullet, taken the data package forced on them and then STILL blocked the internet. I would go online to my verizon wireless and check your account. See what's been added. I'd be surprised if they did not add it. Then again, maybe you got that one in a million rep who want outside the lines!

0 Likes
Re: Finally yes they can block that data on most phones because I got it done for my new Alias 2
ccwinchester

lrando1 wrote:
I am pretty sure ANY phone can have the data access blocked. I have it blocked on my husbands Env3 as he was going on accidentally, so I blocked it. Having it blocked and paying for it are 2 different things. If the phone requires a data package they may have added it to your phone THEN blocked internet access. Many parents have been reduced to doing this as the kids want a good texting phone but parents don't want kids on internet. I feel bad for parents now who are trying to protect kids from internet creeps by monitoring their use and now the kids carry the internet around with them. So a lot of parents have just bit the bullet, taken the data package forced on them and then STILL blocked the internet. I would go online to my verizon wireless and check your account. See what's been added. I'd be surprised if they did not add it. Then again, maybe you got that one in a million rep who want outside the lines!

Yes that is true they are two different things so I will clarify my post.  I'm not paying for the data package (nor should I be) plus it is blocked.  The first couple reps did give me the option to block it but they said it would block my picture messaging.  With this last rep she was able to remove the plan, credit my account, block the data without blocking my pictures.  According to her it is all about the phone and they have different circumstances for each also it has something to do with the calling plan itself.   She did say that the phones i listed in my previous post could not have the data removed at all, but of course it can be blocked.  I'm just glad I finally got my point across to one of them.  If I had known about the plan and purchased anyway then I doubt anything could be done.  But considering that when it came time for my upgrade I had received a flyer advertising the Alias 2 without the data requirement and that is when I decided to get the Alias, when I purchased online it wasn't required, and when I recieved it, it wasn't required.  Plan went into effect on 1/18, I actived on 1/21, three days.  I was told when I actived that I had to pay it or I couldn't use the phone that I just spend hard earned cash on.   You can go almost anywhere and  buy something that has one price on it but when you get to the counter its different, almost everyone everywhere will honor what is advertised.   I was never given the choice they literally forced it on me with no way out.  People after the 18th  atleast have the option to get a phone that doesn't have it, of course everyone knows they've left only reject phones to pick from.  Like I told her, if it is going to be mandatory then I might have bought a nicer one or maybe a lesser one but I didn't get that luxury and that to me is not honoring their agreement with me.  Thank goodness for her knowing more of what is going on that the other clueless ones I wasted much time with.   

0 Likes
ccwinchester

ham10814 wrote:

I am so disturbed by Verizon wireless business practice of forcefully making people pay for a data plan that they do not want.   I qualify for an upgrade, BUT there are no texting friendly phones out there without data plan requirements.  What a crock!!!   I only use the phone for texting and calling, I am SO displeased!!!!  I was told by a representative that if I purchase a phone, Verizon would AUTOMATICALLY tack on the $10 data plan charge, regardless if I was aware of it or not??  What else are we being charged for that we don't know about??  I have a 14 year old daughter who needs a new phone, NOW VERIZON is opening up the internet for my daughter to access at any time and anywhere.  In a day, where every parent is being required to monitor internet usage on their children, VERIZON has trumped that.  So, now any preditor can know where my child is because VERIZON is opening up the internet on these phones with the data plan we are REQUIRED to purchase with these plans.  I see no where, where I can block the internet!!  OHH, OHHHH, so I block the internet and downloads and I am paying for something I don't use and don't want in the first place.  My husband has an ENVY 2 phone that we purchased in 2009, before the hammer went down.  We have no data plan purchased for this phone, it works perfectly and now if I was purchase it right now I would be required to purchase the data plan.  That is say once again, is ABSOLUTELY RIDICUOUS!!! 

According to the rep that fixed mine, you can get the Alias 2 which is a great txting phone.  That is why I purchased it.  I'm sure it is advertised with it but she said that their system is now updating with that one and others now where you can avoid the plan.  It may depend on your calling plan as well.  The only ones she said right not definitely have to have it are the Rogue, Envy 3, and Envy Touch.  I would call in and find out what phones they are able to make this change on.  She said something like sometimes the system will correct it and sometimes not.  Sounds very unstable doesn't it?  Hope this helps

0 Likes