Re: New Data Requirement!
alepata

How did you get 3 free months of the data plan?? Every single time that I have called Verizon they keep telling me that I have to get the data plan.

0 Likes
dudleydawson
Enthusiast - Level 3

I told them I would be leaving when my contract is up in June if they didn't give me the Alias 2 without a data plan.  They said the best they could do is give me 3 free months of data.  I told them the only deal I will take is 24 free months.  They wrote back and said they can't do that.  I will be leaving in June.

0 Likes
notgonnasay

I agree with most of these posts. I realize that I have the mobile web from Alltel, but was very upset in mid-January when I went to order another phone, they required me to get a data plan for the enV touch. I was outraged, and that was one reason I sent the phone back...besides, I don't want to get stuck in a contract when I'm not sure I like the politics that are going on in this company. They will be the smallest network soon if they don't quit alienating their customers and forcing them into purchasing data. Not everyone in this world is glued to a cellphone. We have a 14 yr old that wants the same phone I returned, but won't get it because of the data requirement. When that phone was first released, it didn't require, but now does. Bad thing to do, Verizon!! BAD! I'm not in contract, and am considering switching when I complete my research on phones and plans from another local competitor.

0 Likes
Natickite

I'm fed up with Verizon and e-mailed the following to them:

I am writing this message to express my extreme dissatisfaction with Verizon's decision to require a $9.99 data plan on phones which formerly did not require it.
I currently have two lines with Verizon - the first of which is ending this month.  I had planned to renew that line and get a new phone.  To upgrade from the Env2 to the Env3 requires a 9.99 data plan = approx $240 additional cost to me over the life of the plan.  Unacceptable.

In addition to the two lines we currently have with Verizon I have a third line - a Blackberry, with T-Mobile, currently out of contract.

I was considering consolidating all three lines on a single carrier.

Unless Verizon drops the requirement for the $9.99 data plan - I plan to drop Verizon when the contract for my second Verizon line expires later this year.

The quality of the Verizon service was the reason I chose Verizon - but it is not longer a differentiators and not worth the added cost.

I am extremely disappointed with Verizon.  Have you heard the adage - if you like something - you'll tell 1 person but if you don't like something you'll tell 3 people?  At this point I am telling way more than 3 people about how dissatisfied I am with Verizon Wireless.

You fundamentally do not understand your customer base if you think a typical American family is going to pay an additional $240/contract for a phone used for talking and testing.  I do not desire the added functionality and am unwilling to pay for it.

P.S. Please don't respond with the explanation that technology changes, etc. therefore you must add this new fee. Your decision is a policy decision not a technology decision.  Had I bought a new Env3 before the new 9.99 plan - it would have worked.

P.P.S. If you really want my business - you'll drop the 9.99 data plan, and add the Blackberry Bold and/or the iPhone.

I'm willing to to stay with Verizon if they drop the 9.99 data plan  requirement - but ONLY if they drop it.

I'm not holding my breath though Smiley Sad

0 Likes
Allknowing

*wave*..

Best of lucking finding a carrier with the same coverage.. remember.. how good is a cellphone if it doesn't work due to lack of coverage?? Oh.. and have fun finding a touch screen phone that doesn't require a data package on the other carriers.

0 Likes
dudleydawson
Enthusiast - Level 3

Allknowing...ever heard of Straight Talk?  45 bucks a month gets you unlimited talk, text, and data...all without a contract!  The best part is they use Verizon's towers, so you get great reception everywhere.  Their phone selection is limited right now, but there is a touchscreen and one with a slider qwerty.  This is where I will be switching over to in June when my contract is up since I can't get an Alias 2 without the data plan.

0 Likes
ws450r

I sent my email in, and received a reply. At least they are reading them.

0 Likes
drnc03
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've actually heard of the StraightTalk Service... and several of my friends are planning on switching to them once their contracts are up... I really think that for individual lines it really is the best deal... and I agree can't beat it when you get "the most reliable wireless" for half the price, LOL

0 Likes
CellTalker
Enthusiast - Level 3

I sent an excerpt from my earlier post below to Verizon executives.  Feel free to copy/paste/reuse/refer/link/plagarize as you see fit to spread the word about this debacle to your friends and family (not limted to 10 people).

An Open Letter To Verizon Executives:

You and everyone defending Verizon continues to avoid the question I have posed near the bottom of this message.  You just don't get it and the fact that you believe you do is more evidence that you don't.  I think we've all pretty clearly explained why this is a problem for us today even if we haven't already had to "choose" between several poor and unappealing options.  If we don't speak up now it can only get worse between now and then.  In the purest sense, we aren't being "forced" into the plans because we can keep using our old, broken, or worn out phones or we can downgrade to "simpleton feature phones" but everyone at Verizon should stop hiding behind that technicality because it makes them look silly, ignorant, and out of touch with reality.  Verizon cannot justify this change as anything but profiteering and a revenue grab at the expense of many of its (soon to be former) most loyal customers.  Don't even get me started on warranty replacements and BYOP triggering the mandatory data requirement.  Your company is driving away families and future generations (read revenue streams).  If I realistically had a choice, I'd leave Verizon today and I'm sure you and I would both be happier.  If you want to pay my $700 in ETF's I'll walk away and never look back.

serenevey wrote:

phones REQUIRE data support. It's their whole purpose. Verizon's not making you buy the fancy touch screen phone and I can guarantee any phone company you go to will tell you the same thing...The device won't function properly without it. I work for one of these Major Phone Companies (which I won't say)

______________________________________________________________________________________________

EnvTouch and Nationwide Connect.  Gosh, I wonder which one you work for??!!  Guess these complaints are hitting a little close to your paycheck.

I do agree with your comment that "any phone company you go to will tell you the same thing" because they are probably all equally willing to lie to make a quick sale and generate a contracted annuity.  Explain how is it that my phone didn't require data support and still functioned properly prior to January 18th but now suddenly data is its "whole purpose"?  Does this mean I can expect Verizon to do me a favor and deliver a firmware "upgrade" to disable my camera, music player (like they did with VX8300), and speakerphone?  If you hadn't started off with absurd mistruths I might have read more of your post because, though I doubt it, you might have had something truthful or meaningful to contribute.  Either that or you, with all of your years of industry experience, don't understand your company's offerings or you don't know the difference between a smartphone and a multimedia phone.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

ctmainiac22 wrote:

I got my Omnia in the Fall of 2009.  I was *required* then to upgrade to the full data plan because I wanted/needed a phone that had a better calendar feature than the typical ones in the "lesser" phones (I sync to Google calendar and MS Outlook)...I had used my "New Every Two" for the Omnia only a few months prior...Seems ridiculous to me...

Sorry but not a lot of sympathy for what sounds like buyer's remorse and is completely different than those who are upset about the forced $9.99 monthly data extortion.  Sounds like you had a choice, made a choice, used NE2, and perhaps bought more than you could afford.  Yes, you fell into a sales trap but it's not what this fight is about.

crimedoggies wrote: this is simply put the evolution of the wireless industry... When texting first came out people swore it

would never catch on... If you don't wish to evolve with the industry, then you don't have to...start browsing the web, checking 

email, updating Facebook status and tweeting away.

So, the evolution of the wireless industry is to take away customer choice, change the rules after a contract is signed, force people to pay for something they don't need or want because you think you know best, slip in fraudulent $1.99 monthly data charges until caught, and take away features from customers and call it an upgrade?  You and bslady85 and the rest of the Verizon employees need to stop tryinig to tell us why what you think is good for you is good for everyone else.  Please tell us what happened on January 18th such that I now have to pay $9.99 a month to get the features I had "evolved" to like 16GB music player, qwerty keboard, touchscreen, speakerphone, and 3.2 megapixel camera.  You are asking all of us "devolve" if we don't want to "evolve" under your terms.  When I chose to "evolve" with texting I don't remember being forced to buy a $9.99 texting plan even though my phone was texting capable.  I wasn't forced to choose a phone with no keypad.  I already have all of the access at hand to do my Facebook, tweeting, blogging, and surfing.  Do you really think none of us do those thngs just because we don't do them like you choose to do them?  The fact that your needs or lifestyle are different than mine don't make mine and everyone else unlike you wrong.  This is what Verizon doesn't get at all.  You and the rest of the Verizon employees evidently have no idea of what it means to have 5 lines on a family share plan with staggered contract dates with teenagers who text and take pictures and listen to music but do not want or need data plans (that are inadequate at $9.99 anyway).  So, the best you can do is tell us we aren't evolving and that we should downgrade to "simpleton feature phones" until we meet your standard?  I guess we just don't appreciate them wanting to help us "evolve" and we apparently aren't smart enough to make decisions on our own. 

If this is so beneficial to all of us and Verizon is so confident that we all will be happier with data and that are underutilizing our phones, then why won't Verizon waive ETF's after changing the rules on us midstream?  After all, we'd be crazy to leave these great new "benefits", right?  Of course they won't waive fees because you, everyone on here, and everyone at Verizon sees this for exactly what it is...a money grabbing, greedy, blatant attempt to increase revenue for a company that just announced poor quarterly results and recently got caught "red"handed allegedly assessing fraudulent phantom $1.99 data charges hoping customers wouldn't notice or complain while rewarding sales and customer service reps for providing false or misleading information to customers about the issue.  I would have had more respect for Verizon if they had just said "we're in deep doo-doo and are raising prices to generate more revenue and profits".  It's the same reason why you and no one else is able to offer any plausible reason why this change is a good thing for customers and can only spew the party line of "industry trends", "too many customers were running up high data bills and seeking refunds", "choose a simpleton feature phone", "you can take your business elsewhere", "this is a positve change for the majority of customers", "most people find they like using data once they try it", "all of the other carriers do it", "the map", "superior coverage", "get over it", "accept it and move on" etc. etc.  All any of you can do is avoid the questions we have and spout things that make you look silly and ignorant.

I've yet to see anyone put into words the "benefits" to the customer and no one including you or anyone from your company has answered the most asked, most avoided question that would solve all of this and make the forums go quiet:

- Upon eligible upgrade, why won't Verizon waive the $9.99 monthly data fee in exchange for me accepting data blocking on that line?

If you or someone else from Verizon can give me and everyone else here a meaningful response explaining why this wouldn't work (and avoid crying about why it is bad for Verizon's revenue) and can clearly state why this would be bad for customers then I will quietly wait out  the contract on my 5 lines with no further "upgrades" (to phones with features identical to those I already have) or "downgrades" (to simpleton feature phones) and will make the best decision for me and my family when I am out from under Verizon's extortion schemes.  We are only here voicing our frustrations because most of us effectively have no choice because we are locked into one or more contracts.  Waive ETF's or waive the $9.99 and I will happily go silent. 

{edit}

0 Likes
vinnylawless

(serenevey wrote:

phones REQUIRE data support. It's their whole purpose. Verizon's not making you buy the fancy touch screen phone and I can guarantee any phone company you go to will tell you the same thing...The device won't function properly without it. I work for one of these Major Phone Companies (which I won't say)).

I also worked for one of the major carriers (Verizon) and I can say for a fact that the above statement is untrue and a flat out lie! That is the VERY excuse they give to try and justify the cost of the data plan.

Firmware upgrades can be downloaded and installed via the phones "Get it now" app or with a call to the *228 number if required.

0 Likes