New Data Requirement!
drnc03
Enthusiast - Level 2

So I consider(ed) myself a pretty loyal Verizon Wireless customer until recently.  In the past few days I have been looking into renewing my 3 lines and getting new phones, but I have to say I am really glad I didn't.  After more than three years with everything from international blackberry service to data cards and just plan family share lines... I find my loyalty to Verizon being tested with these new "mandatory" data features.  Since when has Verizon made it a company policy to intentionally limit consumer choice.  I mean don't you want me to have a nicer phone so when I want to use your services I can... instead I find myself being pushed into crappy low end phones to avoid these ridiculous feature requirements.  I really have to say shame on you... you are limiting consumer choice for what seems plain and simple... profits... until now I didn't really mind paying the premium access for premium service... but never before did I feel as if unless you are a high data user we don't want you... I really feel pushed away... I guess this is just shocking and very Sprint like... do what we want you to... or get out... Thanks but no thanks... in a month... I will be changing providers...  

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: New Data Requirement!
tbnwo1

my thoughts exactly.  i was looking into getting a new phone and at some point, possible even using some of the applications that require data access which I seldom do now.  Given the new requirement, I believe I'll look elsewhere to see what other plans are offered.  I recently asked verizon a pricing question and was among other thing, was informed that verison operated in a 'retail environment' and things change constantly.  My hope is that the customers also exist in a retail environment and will shop elsewhere.

Really liked Verizon until now.

0 Likes
ohg8or

I couldnt agree with you more. I have been with Verizon for over ten years and everytime I turn around they pull some other kind of crap. Loyalty obviously means nothing to the corporate bigshots who get their phones for free anyway. My daughter just got a new phone the other day but had to settle for something she didnt really want because she couldnt afford adata package of 9.99 - shes in college and has a hard enough time - thanks Verizon for stickin it to your faithful servants. My contract was up last month and I wanted the droid but decided I couldnt afford the 29.99 extra since my plan already runs 145 a month with 5 lines - o no no discount there. So my antennae broke off my phone today and i thought well ill just settle for the LG chocolate touch but come to find out today started their new {edit} the customer plan and that **bleep** little phone now requires a 9.99 data package too. Funny considering yesterday it didnt and last week when I was browsing phones at the store the sales agent said nothing about the phone going data next week better buy it now - nope not a word. I hope Verizon reads their blogs and sees how many people are going to consider dropping their service due to customers having their hands forced. Thanks again Verizon {edit}

{please keep your posts courteous}

0 Likes
partlysunny
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just putting in my 2cents in case Verizon actually reads this.

Last Tuesday I signed up. Our plan has 4 phones, mine is the env touch, two env3's and a twist. I got the $9.99MB data package with my env touch.  All other phones are blocked from web access.  I quickly realized the 25MB was not going to work for me, and through the help of SuzyQ here I was able to switch my phone only to the Connect plan for almost the same cost.  The data plan was a luxury for me, I would not have been able to afford $29.99 a month and I doubt that I could have made the $19.99 plan work.  I only check a couple of websites and a favorite blog but it is incredible how fast the data usage adds up. So I am incredibly happy with my phone, our plan and the other people in my family love their phones too (env3s and twist).

But had we signed up this week instead I don't think we would have been nearly as happy.  For one thing none of us would have the phone that we have now.  I love my env touch, even without having a data package I would keep it for the touchscreen and large keypad.  My daughter and mom love their env3's, they love the keypad and the way the phone looks.  My other daughter is having fun with her twist..........this is a phone geared toward teenagers with the "habitat".  Why on earth would Verizon expect a teen or preteen to get a data package??? I blocked it so that my children cannot access the web.  This makes no sense to me whatsoever. I could see Verizon giving the option of either getting a data package or making sure the phone is blocked so no "accidental" charges could accrue.  That makes sense.  But requiring a data package or not allowing people to get it it just kind of rubs me the wrong way.

0 Likes
SoonToBeX
Enthusiast - Level 2

Here is a copy of what I sent customer service. And what I will be sending to department of Consumer affairs and the FCC and anyone else who cares or who can do anything:

Dear Verizon,
Words can not express my outrage at this time.
I wanted to upgrade my Alias to an Alias 2. I was told I need to upgrade to 9.99 Data plan. I do not want that feature, but I am told it is required. It was not required 1 week ago. Rules are arbitrary and capricious. Please break this one or risk losing a customer.
Regards,
SoonToBeX Verizon Customer

0 Likes
tbnwo1

I was planning to get the Alias 2, but have decided against it until they remove the requirement.  My contract expires soon and I plan to take a hard look at all other plans.  Originially, it was get the new phone and be done with it.  I think Verizon has messed up this time.

0 Likes
kloud98

This is the worst thing Verizon has ever done. I have been waiting to get a new phone and was excited about finally getting something better.  I never use data but I would like a nice phone that at least gives me the option to use it if I chose to in the future. Just the fact that I now can not buy a nicer phone without paying $9.99 even when I wont use the data really makes me mad.  No longer will I be a promoter for Verizon!  My my contract ends next month and you can bet that unless this is corrected, I will be going elsewhere!  I am also going to send a complaint off the FCC regarding this unfair practice.

0 Likes
lovely35

I have to agree with the above comments, I too was just due for an upgrade and was told I would need to add a data package. I would never use this app nor could I afford the extra money every month. Verizon should be ashamed of themselves with the state of the economy and people barely making it through these tough times what gall they have to make demands of they're loyal costumers. They should be looking for ways to help people save money to hold on to their client base not send them running in the direction of the competitor. I will be looking into other providers when my contract expires as will my family and several friends. Nice job Verizon way to look out for the little people.

0 Likes
Essig

I'm glad I have the connect plan now.....   and I hope things change by 2011 because there is no way I'm payin 30 bucks for unlimited data for a feature phone.  I like my EnvTouch, but the internet is not worth 30 bucks a month on it...that is what SMARTphones are for..... not feature.  And this applies to even dumphones.....  ya can't even put silly games on a dumb phone without being charged for data and for some that would easily mean needing the 10 month plan.... are you serious.  25mb is easy to go over on a feature phone and 1mb is easy to exceed on a dumbphone. 

I don't think verizon cares we're still in a recession and people need to save money.  All  the supermarkets andd stores are lowering prices to get customers back and be competitive and big red rasies theirs.. way go.  If this doesn't change you can bet there will be a ton of angry customers and possibly alot of people not wanting to renew or upgrade.  Not everyone wants a smartphone or can afford it.

This is a greedy move verizon!  Be prepaired for cusomer service reps to get an influx of angry customers. 

Verizon says....  we have the most coverage and daggumit, you're gonna pay for it.

0 Likes
drnc03
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the feedback guys... nice to see I'm not the only one completely frustrated with this rediculous attempt by Verizon to stuff its pockets!