Nearby Mobile Tower/COW Causing Slower Internet
SynexisOne

Hello,

I'm currently stationed at a wildfire incident command post. When I first got here I was able to connect to the Internet via 3G with download speeds of up to 2 Mbps. About a week ago, both Verizon and AT&T put up mobile cell phone antennas. My iPhone now connects to the nearby mobile Verizon antenna and downloads at about 20 to 60 kbps (regardless of whether I'm using my mobile hotspot or the phone itself). This is very frustrating as I know that if I could just get the phone to connect to the tower it was on before, I'd get a faster connection again. My question is whether that is indeed possible; can I force my iPhone to somehow ignore the nearby antenna and use the next one instead? I'm also willing to(deleted content to comply with) my phone if anyone knows of a (deleted content to comply with VZW ToS) that would do this. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated (I have tried the basics like restarting the phone and resetting network settings).

Thank you.

Message was edited by:Verizon Moderator

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Nearby Mobile Tower/COW Causing Slower Internet
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi SynexisOne. Thanks for trying to hard to battle those wildfires. I know it doesn't make your tough job any easier having those service difficulties. Quite honestly, the whole reason for a mobile cell antenna near areas like you've described is to be able to provide a stronger wireless connection, not make it worse. They help to boost our Verizon Wireless service. You've tried what I'd recommend by rebooting the device and resetting network settings. So if that's not working how it should, we want to reach out to our Network Team and file a Resolution Ticket to bring it to the right attention. You can send me more information at http://bit.ly/aUgBIy so I can contact you and get that Resolution Ticket filed.

Thank you
JenniferH_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes