My smartphone just broke, but I really did not like this phone, can I upgrade early?
Mattyiceee2

Here's the scenario,

I bought an iPhone 5 on launch day of 2012 (Sept. 22), however, I lost that phone, and got the free Nokia Lumia 928 instead in Late August/Early September of 2013.

So, I had a Nokia Lumia 928 under a normal contract, and my contract expires in September of this year (2014), since it's a continuation of my iPhone 5 contract. My 928 had a screen/pixel malfunction in which the screen is not turning on when the phone is on. The buttons are functional (the ones that light up work as well), but the phones display is broken, without any water damage, drop damage, or internal software problems.

However, after checking Nokia's site, they said that I'm still under warranty for 12 months, which doesn't make sense, since that pretty much means I have free insurance and, theoretically, robbed verizon of their money.

The warranty says I can get my same phone for free. However, I REALLY HATED this phone (Lack of app support, slow browsing speeds on Verizon's LTE [which I know is much faster based on the iPhone 5's Verizon LTE speeds] and wifi, an overrated camera, etc.) and, preferably, I would want to get a Samsung Galaxy S4 for $100, despite the S5's launch in more than a month (not enough new features for the asking price). I have about $350 to spend on a new phone (contract not included).

When I experimented on this site, to see what happens when I try to upgrade my 928 to a GS4, it says I can get the GS4 on an edge plan, which i currently don't have, without being charged an Early Termination Fee.

Is there any way to upgrade to the GS4 now (March 2014)? Is the Verizon Wireless site true? If I switch to the edge plan, does that mean I will be charged an Early Termination Fee?

If there is an ETF, do/can I get an exception because my phone is defective due to a problem that doesn't involve human error?

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: My smartphone just broke, but I really did not like this phone, can I upgrade early?
Mattyiceee2

NOTE: I am NOT upgrade eligible Smiley Sad

0 Likes
Re: My smartphone just broke, but I really did not like this phone, can I upgrade early?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Options

Warranty replacement

Insurance replacement

Borrow an older device from a friend/family member.

Purchase a secondhand device from a third party

Purchase a new phone at the full retail price

Purchase a new phone at the full retail price using the Device Payment Plan.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes