My Jetpack is a data hog - is the iPhone hotspot a better option?
beejaye
Enthusiast - Level 2

My JetPack used 1 GB of data - in 30 minutes - yikes!

The details: I received a Verizon email said that said: "Your account has used approximately 50% of your prorated data allowance for this month." So, since I have a 4GB plan, that would be 2GB of data. Exactly one-half hour later, I received another Verizon email said: "Your account has used approximately 75% of your prorated data allowance for this month" So, that would be 3GB of data.

So, that is 1GB of data in one half hour. And - I was the only one using the JetPack, and I was just surfing the web and reading email:  I was NOT streaming audio, video, images, pics, etc. And - I did not do any downloads on my computer - nor was I playing any games.

Is this is typical usage for a JetPack? If so, should I start using my iPhone as a hotspot?

If you go to http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/splash/dataShareCalculator.jsp, the difference between data usages of the Jetpack vs. the iPhone appears to be double:

*  for the Jetpack, 250 webpages/day is almost 7.5 GB per month

*  for the smartphone, 250 webpages/day is almost 3GB per month - less than 1/2!!

What has been your experience? 

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: My Jetpack is a data hog - is the iPhone hotspot a better option?
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

There are quite a few threads about data usage and Jetpacks on this forum; you may want to do a search.

0 Likes
beejaye
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yup - I saw those posts. That, plus the 1GB of usage in 1/2 hr, is what lead me to wonder if I should give up the JetPack and use the IPhone hotspot instead - especially given the differences in data usage between the JetPack and iPhone.

Thanks!

0 Likes
beejaye
Enthusiast - Level 2

This question is more about the much better data usage of the iPhone hotspot. From Verizon's page:  http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/splash/dataShareCalculator.jsp

*  for the Jetpack, 250 webpages/day is almost 7.5 GB per month

*  for the smartphone, 250 webpages/day is almost 3GB per month - less than 1/2!!

Why would there be such as difference between the Jetpack and the iPhone hotspot?

Thanks!