My Contract Has An Extra 5 Months On It
GeneralWashington

So apparently my part of our family contract somehow has an extra 5 months on it. Not sure how this happened except possibly when I had phone issues earlier this year. Long story short, I got a BlackBerry Bold 9930 that had issues, as did the next 5 refurbished replacements. I got told that I couldn't get a 4g phone even though they were cheaper than the Bold was (lol) but they didn't have any other 3g phones to give me (since all those models were so old). After some time on the phone with CS (a lot of time) and asking what my ETF would be, she said they could give me a new one if I paid the subsidized price (still less than I paid for my Bold originally mind you), and I guess they used that opportunity to tack extra months on to my contract without fully explaining to me what was going to happen. Of course that's for my line only, the other 2 lines on the plan have the original end date.

I guess my question is is there any recourse for this whole mess? Because at this point after finding out about this, I really just want to pay the ETF and go elsewhere if they're going to do stuff like this. But of course, with my contract somehow extended, that'd be an extra $50 as well which may have been the point since I asked about the ETF when on the phone with CS because I was getting so frustrated with the lack of help.

I've tried going into the Verizon store locally for help but they are questionable at best and I really don't want to get back on the phone and get quick-talked into another situation like this. I like the Verizon service, but I really have not at all been satisfied with their customer service at all thus far (my mother has also had several problems, one of which was resolved and handled very poorly) and would rather go back to my previous carrier where I could actually get my issues resolved.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: My Contract Has An Extra 5 Months On It
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

Unfortunately when you bought that phone for the subsidized price, it extended your contract as well making it 2 years from the date of that purchase. If you jump ship now you will be hit with ETF's and they are pretty high.

0 Likes
GeneralWashington

Well I did figure that, but it wasn't explained to me that that was what was happening; she made it sound like they were doing some exception to work around the whole thing. Wouldn't even have agreed to that if they would have adequately explained it to me, but they didn't. The whole situation was a bit ridiculous in my opinion; they wouldn't give me a phone of comparable value, only a 3G phone. It was odd.

And the rest of my family isn't staying with Verizon for this and other reasons when our contract expires so me being on a separate carrier and contract for an extra 5 months isn't really a practical option.

0 Likes
Defn
Enthusiast - Level 3

Then pay your termination fee and go?

GeneralWashington

Yeah was trying to feel out if there were any other options considering that what was happening didn't really get explained to me; not really feeling like I should have to pay for that if there's any way it can be avoided.

0 Likes
Defn
Enthusiast - Level 3

Did you happen to sign a new contract?

0 Likes
GeneralWashington

Not that I was made aware of no, this was done over the phone while I was in the Verizon store since what they could do was apparently limited. Might have been one of those "Verizon Stores" that's not really a Verizon store technically.

0 Likes
Defn
Enthusiast - Level 3

Did you get a new phone at a discounted price?

0 Likes
GeneralWashington

I did, as I said I was lead to believe that this was a replacement for my defective phone(s) because they couldn't find any 3G phones.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm sorry you were not made aware of the additional contract on your line GeneralWashington. I hope you're not considering cancelling with us! If so, why? We can help with all your concerns. Have you been able to speak with customer service about the extra time on your contract? Did you receive an explanation? When you received the new phone, did you have to call our automated system to activate the phone? Did you receive any disclosures when activating? We can take a look at the account in detail to find out exactly what happened.

KInquanaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes