Mobile Email automatically checking my e-mail
spottedcatfish
Champion - Level 3

I searched for this one, and all I found was a way to turn off the notifications.

I have a Samsung Alias 2 and I used the Mobile Email app to check my Gmail.  Now that it has my password, it tells me whenever I have new mail.  Nice feature, except that my office pays for a very nice computer for me, and I don't need it to do that most of the time.  There are also, *gasp* even times when I'm not in the office when I don't care what's in my email and I definitely don't want to be wasting my measly data allowance downloading random advertisements and newsletters in the middle of the night.

What I want: For Moble Email to only download new messages when I tell it to, no automatically checking as long as it has my account information.  I do want to leave my account info in there for convenience, but it seems like the only way to stop it was to delete the account.

Can anyone help?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Mobile Email automatically checking my e-mail
spottedcatfish
Champion - Level 3

Well, after struggling mightily with the mobile Gmail interface on the Verizon browser (it's incredibly clunky), I went back to the Mobile Email app to try again, and I've found the answer.

If you don't want Mobile Email to check your account for a while, just highlight it, click options and choose "Work Offline."  This will prevent the app from pinging your mail server until you come back to it and log in.

I can tell I'm one of very few people for who this is an issue, but I hope this will help someone out in the future!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

I've looked through the application myself and I haven't found a way to discontinue the alerts all together. That's the whole point on Mobile Email though, to alert you whenever you get a new email. So stopping those alerts kind of defeats the major benefit of that application.

If you wanted to check your email manually you can just go to the Gmail website from your mobile web browser.

0 Likes
spottedcatfish
Champion - Level 3

Honestly, the mobile web browser on the Alias2 sucks.  Yes, it works, but it is not nearly as simple as opening the Mobile Email app. It also doesn't save my password.  I was hoping there was a way to make Mobile Email (or another app, if anyone has a suggestion) function like Thunderbird or Outlook.  I open the program, it checks my mail, I close the program, it's done.

0 Likes
spottedcatfish
Champion - Level 3

Well, after struggling mightily with the mobile Gmail interface on the Verizon browser (it's incredibly clunky), I went back to the Mobile Email app to try again, and I've found the answer.

If you don't want Mobile Email to check your account for a while, just highlight it, click options and choose "Work Offline."  This will prevent the app from pinging your mail server until you come back to it and log in.

I can tell I'm one of very few people for who this is an issue, but I hope this will help someone out in the future!

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

spottedcatfish wrote:

AWESOME! 

I'm glad you were diligent and found an answer! Thank you so much for following up and sharing your solution. I'll be sure to remember this one. 

:smileyhappy:

0 Likes
tonyg1966

I was looking for this exact thing.  I only need to check my mail when I'm out on a job.  Thanks for this!

0 Likes
spottedcatfish
Champion - Level 3

And I'll do us all one better, credit does go to the Verizon employee in this thread.  If you follow her directions to get to the Settings area, you'll find that when Mobile Email lets you know about new messages is actually quite customizable.

I had honestly never though to scroll further through that Options menu, it seemed like all the reasonable options were there, and that it was only for message-related actions.  Anyhow, this gives folks with a regular schedule (IE they want their e-mail checked after work hours) an option that doesn't require as much user input as my "Work Offline" solution.

Happy e-mailing!

0 Likes