Making my own ringtones.....-IMPORTANT-
kingofcarnage

Alright I want to ask  a legal question. If I own a song. I bought the CD and its on my computer.

Am I legally allowed to edit the song so I can use it as a ringtone? I was checkin online and they said it has to be less than 30 seconds long.. and sent via text. The problem is are there any legal consequences to making a song my ringtone if I bought the CD? Im wondering because that would mean I would have to edit the song right? To make it less than 30 seconds? Im pretty sure that part is legal as long as I don't distribute it..although I haven't tried it yet so not sure how that worksI haven't altered the song at all. I haven't touched it other than putting it on my computer.

Ive not put it on my phone. I haven't send the text... I have not done anything because I want to make sure Im in the clear before I do something stupid.

The CD was paid for. Its been a while since Ive seen the CD though..

Artist: Atreyu

Song: Bleeding Mascara

Album: The Curse (2004)

Ok I want to be legal. I don't want to do something stupid so if someone could please give me a good answer I would be happy :smileyhappy:

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Making my own ringtones.....-IMPORTANT-
kingofcarnage

Oh and let me say I hate you google..I can't find anything on the legality of all this...

Ugh thats all I need..

"Not only is your service discontinued, but we will now sue you for $4,434,422,464,641. Have a nice day!"

I would cry lol

0 Likes
s9ortner

You are correct, it is legal as long as you are not distributing it. You can use myxer or phonezoo to trim the song and send it as a text.  Kick {word filter avoidance} song by the way!!! 

0 Likes
Surfferman

Its like speeding... its only illegal if you get caught.

trimming the song is legal but sending it to someone else would be considered illegal.

I send mine all the time to my phone... Im not paying 8 bucks for 3 ringtones when I have already bought the song ya know.

0 Likes
kingofcarnage

tyvm s9ortner.

I want to be legal. I figured as long as a paid for the song and Ive got no intention of distributing it, then it was legal. Ty for the site going to go do it now.

Surffer...lol I  think that applies to downloading music. Which I frown on because your cheating artist out of money when you do it.

How do people expect them to get the money to tour and such

0 Likes