Lost Returned Device
thuanvo

To preface this complaint, I have been a Verizon customer since 2003 and was satisfied with the service until very recently.

On January 29, 2012, I purchased an iPhone from the Verizon store online and it was received on January 31, 2012.  Before opening the phone I was told by a Verizon CSR that there would be no restocking fee if I decided that I did not like the phone.  I decided that I did not want the phone and called to inquire about returning the phone.  I was then notified that there was in fact a restocking fee.  At this point, I decided that I did not want to keep Verizon as my carrier and that it would be cheaper to add a line to my friend's plan on AT&T than to continue on Verizon.  I called Verizon about what steps needed to be taken to terminate my contract with them and they walked me through the steps.  They told me that the termination fee of $367 would be charged to my account until they receive the phone at which point they would change the termination to be prorated at my original contract end date (which would be $75 for 3-4 months left on the contract).  On February 1, 2012, I packaged the iPhone back up in the box that I received it in, sealed it and placed the USPS shipping label on it and dropped of the box at my local USPS office (per Verizon protocol explained to me by the CSR). 

After not hearing back from Verizon for two weeks, I called to inquire about the early termination fee being lowered and being refunded for the phone (less restocking fees).  They told me that they received an empty box at the warehouse.  I am completely puzzled at how this would happen. I filed a case with Verizon to investigate what happened with the box and determine if the package had been tampered with.  Additionally, I contacted USPS and FedEx to open cases as recommended by the CSR as the weight of the package is tracked along the way.  Verizon told me that they would get back to me within 3 business days regarding the case and I received no such correspondence for 2 weeks.  I called back multiple times and spoke to probably at least 15 different CSR at Verizon inquiring about the case at which point they told me that the original case was no longer open and they had to open up a new case and again, wait 3 business days to receive any information about it.  All the while, I am receiving bills for an amount due of $ 367 for the early termination fee that I was told would be held until the case is resolved.  I called Verizon again where a CSR told me that the bill should be frozen and gave me a number of the Financial Department, who told me nothing could be done, forwarded me to Customer Care who then told me that they don’t have the power to do anything and forwarded me back to the Financial Department who finally froze the $350 amount due (less taxes) after Customer Care explained the situation. Today, I spoke with a representative that told me that the investigation concluded and that there was no phone in the box and because of that, no charges would be reversed. 

I have many issues with the way that this is all being handled. I have spent hours and hours on the phone with Verizon to try to figure this out and I can’t help but to feel like im getting the run around.  First of all, I followed Verizon’s return policy exactly and for some reason I am held liable for them receiving an empty package.  I did not choose the shipping method, the package came with prepaid postage.  If I had known that Verizon would absolve themselves of all responsibility, I would’ve protected myself and shipped the package with insurance. I really don’t know what else I could’ve done besides actually driving to the warehouse and hand delivering to someone who would check in the merchandise right in front of me. 

Second, there were many polite CSR that I spoke to dealing with this ordeal but there were some that were right unprofessional.  The supervisor who I spoke to today would abruptly put me on hold while I was talking multiple times, and her response as to why she interrupted me and placed me on hold with no warning was because I had interrupted her earlier in the conversation (I apologize that my patience wears thin after talking to this amount of representatives for this amount of time, almost a month, and getting absolutely no where).  This same supervisor told me that she could do nothing and that the only step I can take is to call Fed Ex and take the issue up by myself and condescendingly remarked that if I choose not to take these steps than that’s up to me, insinuating that I am not/have not done everything in my power to get this resolved.  As stated earlier, I called Fed Ex the same day I filed a claim with Verizon and they told me that Verizon would have to be the one to file the claim since they are the recipients.  I was told by a CSR that they did file a claim, however I heard nothing back from them regarding that.  I asked the supervisor, if Verizon can follow up on the claim with Fed Ex and she told me that “our hands are tied and we don’t have the resources to do that”.  This is completely false as a Verizon originally filed a claim a month ago and after calling Verizon CSR again after the conversation with the supervisor, another CSR was able to file a new claim with Fed Ex today.  Additionally, when I asked this supervisor if I can speak to someone higher than her, she said that it was not possible to.  Later on in the conversation, she slipped and mentioned her supervisor at which point I asked why is it that she could not forward me to her supervisor.  After abruptly being placed on hold again, she told me that her supervisor is in a meeting and can only forward me to his voicemail.  I was forwarded to a voicemail and left a message with my name and number however, at this point, I have serious doubts of whether or not she actually forwarded to her supervisors’ voicemail, as I have not received a call back. 

All in all, it has been a nightmare trying to handle this situation  At this point I am out almost $600 between the early termination fee and the phone refund with absolutely nothing to show for it.

I have searched and found that other people have had this same problem in the past, and I am wondering if anyone out there is dealing with the same issue and can help me to get it resolved.  I have read that some people have their lawyer friends help with formalized letters and as much as I hate to go that route, I may need to.  I have filed a claim with the better business bureau, emailed executives through the Verizon website and am waiting to hear back from this Supervisor that I really doubt will call all because the 800 number is getting me absolutely no where.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Lost Returned Device
Not applicable

thuanvo,

I apologize for any frustration this is causing. I would love the opportunity to review your account and address your concerns directly. Please send a direct message to me for further assistance.

Thank you!

AdamE_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
thuanvo

Adam,

I am receiving an error saying that you must be following me in order for me to direct message

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Take your Mouse an put your pointer over Adams Icon!  When you do this a bigger box will pop up an when it does slide your pointer down to were you can Click on Follow to Follow Him an you will see a Bar down on the Bottom saying that he will have to Approve your Request Once he Does go up to your Action's it's the Square Box with the Red Check an you will see a Actions Request Allow him to Connect with You then you can send him a Direct Message an he can Send you One as Well.

I will Click on your Icon to Follow you. To show you how it Works..

0 Likes
btrflymarie3

I am in a similar situation in regard to returning an IPhone and a case. They say that they received the case but not the IPhone, even though I sent it all together. I have spoken with so many phone reps: John, Chris, Toni, Jennifer, Crystal from the presidents office. All empty promises and no action taken. It is so frustrating and such a time consuming, expensive problem. Right now I am out close to $700. I have an open case with BBB and it will go into an arbitration process. Have you contacted  the Attorney General's office in New Jersey. If you have gone through the whole process with BBB, then that is what I would do next. AdamE is probably another waste of time. Hope it works out.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Considering the post you are replying to is well over a month old, I suspect the issue may have been taken care of

0 Likes
btrflymarie3

People still read them when they need help and want answers. Am I not supposed to reply? What are your rules?

Message was edited by: Shawna Humphrey

0 Likes
budone
Legend

All I am saying is the person you replied to was last on the board on Mar 23rd at 3 something in the PM. You also stated a CSR AdamE is probably a waste of time so take a huge leap and bring in the BBB. (Who I have used in the past for an auto issue and they were a proven waste of time.)

Considering the poster you were replying to has not been back since then, I suspect their issue was corrected by AdamE and they will never be back again.

But feel free to reply to old posts

0 Likes
scaci13
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am actually experiencing a similar problem, but with 2 missing devices that I shipped to Verizon back in February.  It has been an ongoing issue and I have contacted Verizon countless times and cannot seem to get any where with them.  It wouldn't bother me so much if I weren't getting constant emails, text messages and phone calls harassing me about paying my balance and the disconnection of my service.  I have both tracking numbers for the missing devices and both are stuck in Texas.  As far as I am concerned I did my part.  The issue is not with me returning the device considering that I have provided proof of the shipped items, but between Fed Ex and Verizon; however, that doesn't stop them from tacking on a $690 fee to my account and threatening to shut off my 3 phones every week for the past 7 months!!!  Initially Verizon wanted me to contact FedEx to figure out what was going on, which I refused.  Today I thought it would be worth it to at least try in order to resolve the whole issue, but FedEx informed me that due to regulations I have no right to do anything with them and that Verizon has to file the claim in order for them to begin an investigation because Verizon is the one on the shipping label both as the receiver and return address. I have been with Verizon for 12 years and I am stunned at the lack of urgency and customer service I have received over the last 7 months.  I was told today that I would be contacted by Monday and if I am not contacted with a resolution I will take this to the BBB.  Interestingly enough the BBB has had many other cases with Verizon in the past....surprise, surprise.

0 Likes
lewisr13
Champion - Level 1

scaci13 wrote:

Interestingly enough the BBB has had many other cases with Verizon in the past....surprise, surprise.

Considering the millions of customers they've had over the years, it's not that suprising.