Local Verizon Store blowing smoke?
UNLISTEDMONIKER

I just left the local verizon store.  I was told that no other phone than a Verizon phone would work on the Verizon network - I could not use an "unlocked" phone I already own. Also that the cheapest monthly plan for text and msging only was 30.00 per month. Is this the case?  Can I convert my verizon At Home number over to a wireless phone number? Lastly, is this the best Verizon can do for tech support.  I can't find a number anywhere, which makes me wonder if Verizon gives a [Removed] about anything other than getting it's monthly fees.

Profanity removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Local Verizon Store blowing smoke?
tcad
Contributor - Level 1

If you have (and want) only an old non-smartphone flip phone that was not a Verizon phone originally, the store is correct that it won't work on Verizon. Being unlocked doesn't magically add the CDMA radio and frequencies needed to work on Verizon.

View solution in original post

mama23dogs
Legend

They are not entirely wrong, but not right either.

Verizon is a CDMA network, many unlocked phones are GSM only. 

What phone do you have?

These phones are unlocked and have BOTH GSM and CDMA

Moto pure edition

Nexus 6p

Nexus 5x

Nexus 6

Moto G4 (although there are problems with LTE)

landline numbers cannot be ported to wireless or google voice.  I tried because I had an awesome number.  Can't be done.  You can port to Ooma but it isn't easy.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

Oh, Verizon dropped its $30 prepaid plan. 

Have you tried AT&T?   They still have the $100 per year pay-per-use plan for talk and text and are a GSM network, so most phones will work.

0 Likes
UNLISTEDMONIKER

Have, and want, only a flip phone with voice/txt msging.  Live in the middle of the Adirondacks.  Present home phone is a cell based unit that connects the house phone lines through the cell base called Home Phone Connect, so the number is a cell number.  I'm afraid I'm stuck with verizon because of coverage issues up here.

0 Likes
tcad
Contributor - Level 1

If you have (and want) only an old non-smartphone flip phone that was not a Verizon phone originally, the store is correct that it won't work on Verizon. Being unlocked doesn't magically add the CDMA radio and frequencies needed to work on Verizon.

mama23dogs
Legend

tcad​ is correct.  Flip phones and other basic phones most often have no SIM card or an embedded SIM card.  A basic phone would have to be a branded phone to work on Verizon.  ATT and T-mobile phones have no CDMA bands.  20 minutes and $50-70 bucks will get you a compatible phone Off Amazon.  Up to $200 if you buy a current flip from Verizon.

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

Since when can you not port a landline to a wireless number? I've done it.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

And as many of us are dumping landlines, we are finding we cannot port our numbers. 

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

Mine ported just fine

0 Likes