Legendary Verizon Customer Service Issue
slothofcelerity

The issue all started back in November of 2014 when I ported one mobile number out of my Verizon wireless account (-3688) to AT&T and attempted to cancel the other number on my Verizon account (-2961). Both of these numbers were out of contract and not bound to a 2-year term. The first number (-3688) was ported successfully, but the Verizon 1-800 representative I spoke to on November 5, 2014 (to cancel -2961) apparently did not follow through with the request to cancel the other line.

Flash forward to January 2015, when I noticed my American Express had been charged by Verizon for November and December usage. This, despite the fact that the representative told me my account had been completely cancelled. Oh, and also, there had obviously been zero usage on either line.

So, I called Verizon customer service back in early January and spoke to a very nice lady that said it was clear someone on Verizon’s end had made a mistake and her supervisor would rectify it immediately. She promised me I would be refunded those 2 month’s charges, my account would be closed out and I would receive no further charges. She was writing it all down in the notes, she said. I actually had her repeat everything to make sure I understood because I thought to myself “Wow, that was way less painful than I thought it would be!” Boy was I in for a surprise down the road. Beware the over-friendly representative. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Jump ahead about 2 weeks. Nothing had happened, and I had received no refund. My account was still open (though there were still no phones attached to it and there was still zero usage). I called back to customer service on 1/20/15, again, and spoke to Jan (at this point, I started writing down notes for myself). Jan was nice, and apologized profusely for the issue. She promised me it would be handled within 48 hours. 48 hours later, nothing had happened, so I called back and was told Jan had reached out to me but I didn’t answer the phone (my bad, Jan, I was at the gym). The rep I was speaking to told me she would send Jan a message to call me back. I never heard from Jan again. I wonder what ever happened to Jan. I hope she’s ok.

So, on 1/26/15 I called Verizon customer service…again (this was about the 5th or 6th time I had called in). I spoke to a man who proceeded to tell me the same thing  everyone else had (I would be re-funded, apologies for the issue, my account would be closed, bla bla bla). He assured me he was working with his supervisor to smooth this out (I had actually requested to speak directly to a supervisor, but he didn't pass me to a supervisor, he served as a go-between).  We ended the call positively, like all the other calls, and I was sure this must be the end of it. How could there still be an issue, right?

Blast forward to February 2, when I got a notification that my Amex had just been charged AGAIN for Verizon service. At this point, I began to lose my patience. Steam was coming out of my ears. I was, like, cartoon-character angry. I called Verizon financial services directly and calmly spoke with Jordan. Jordan was very helpful and apologetic. Jordan told me the previous notes on my account were sloppy and incomplete and assured me he would take copious notes and make it very clear to his supervisor what the situation was. I was positive this was it! My problems must finally be over.

Jordan went on to explain that I definitely should not have been charged for those months (which I already knew) and he would work with me to get a speedy resolution. Jordan was embarrassed at how poorly all the reps before him had handled my situation. Good ol’ Jordan. He told me he was a Math teacher before he worked at Verizon, so I was sure this would be my last call to the VZW team. The issue would finally be resolved.  He was really on the ball, and knew his stuff, so I was hopeful Jordan would be the one. However, there was a problem. Jordan explained that his supervisor was locked out of his computer and wouldn't be able to put in the refund request until later that day. I was told I'd get a call back once it happened. That call never came. The silence was deafening. Jordan had forsaken me.

So, I found myself in a situation where Verizon clearly couldn’t help me. I did the only thing I could think of and called Amex and explained EVERYTHING to Patty. Let me tell you, Patty was horrified. I mean, she was beside herself with grief. She made me feel so much better. She went on to dispute some of the charges with Verizon and put a merchant block to keep Verizon from charging me ever again. What Patty didn’t tell me (and how could she know?) is that this, apparently, was the worst thing I could have done because then I started getting the phone calls…

That brings us to today, February 3, when I got a call from Valentine & Kebartas, Verizon's COLLECTION AGENCY. The representative (Roberto) was very rude and demanded that I pay a balance to Verizon that was past due. You can imagine my chagrin to get a call from a collection agency about a balance that Verizon OWED ME. Oh the irony. I calmly tried to explain this situation to Roberto, but he didn't want to listen. Roberto is nobody’s friend. Roberto was only concerned with getting his money. He demanded to know how soon I'd be mailing in a check for the balance "owed" to Verizon. Roberto didn’t like my answer (spoiler alert: My answer was “Never, Roberto. Never.”).

So, of course, I immediately called Verizon financial services again (I have the number memorized at this point). I was going to once again politely demand they fix this (and hope they follow through on the 7th or 8th time). Problem though: when I call, I immediately get transferred back to the collection agency. And I know for sure Roberto can’t help. I’m persona non grata to Roberto.

So, at this point, I can't even speak to someone at Verizon about the issue, they won't take my call.

I am beyond incensed at this point. I've wasted over a month of my life trying to repair a problem Verizon's “customer service” caused, been out of pocket hundreds of dollars that were charged to me incorrectly, and have sat on the phone for a total of about 8 hours with zero results. I’ve also had to put up with Roberto’s crap.

Is there anyone out there that can help me and bring an end to this? I need the full refund promised to me by Verizon way back in January, I need my Verizon account closed, and I need the Verizon collection agency goons to stop harassing me. Please help. If anyone at Verizon refers to my account on their system, there should be copious notes explaining all of this.

Hoping the customer service gods see fit to bless me with a resolution,

-Nathan Ross

Former Verizon Account number xxxxxxxxxx00001

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Legendary Verizon Customer Service Issue
Snn5
Legend

This is a customer to customer forum, but there may be someone who can help with something more specific than "Keep calling Verizon."  There is also, Verizon | - Arbitration and Mediation and the BBB.  There are also a couple other threads on these forums relating to collections and fees incurred due to a perceived Verizon mistake.

0 Likes
tailynn1977
Contributor - Level 1

I know this: When a person disconnects lines they may get into trouble. Verizon will do whatever they can to keep lines active and the reps will try to avoid a disconnection. Go into the store and see about disconnecting service in a store because the in person may prevent some of the issues. You can also have them print off a sheet confirming the closing of your account.....

Snn5
Legend

Definitely get confirmation in hard copy form of cancellation.

WOODWINDER

OMG, fastforward 1 year and I have the exact same scenerio!  Service has gotten worse. It took me almost 8 months. After I got all the money back that they owed me, then the letter came from the collection agency stating I owed the money I just got back! I was reduced to tears. Thanks verizon for your great customer service!  NOT!!!

0 Likes