Re: LG G5 now jumping ahead 4 hours
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon Wireless Customer Support wrote:

We want to make sure your time is correct whenever you are traveling. I would feel the same way if my device was changing time zones. With regard to the device when did this start? Do you have Wi-Fi turned on when going through this area?

Jasper_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

I know I didn't.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Ann154,

We truly appreciate your continued efforts and patience while we try to uncover what's going on. To ensure that we find a fix, I've sent you a Private Message so that we can gather some additional information. Please check your inbox and respond there for us.

Shawnte_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Michsam23
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi,

I just started experiencing the exact same issue. At least twice now (possibly 3 times), my phone has suddenly jumped 5 hours ahead, and then jumped back to the correct time zone within a few moments of me noticing. I reside in Eastern Standard timezone, and it would appear that my phone is jumping to theGreenwich Mean timezone for brief periods of time.

All of these instances occurred while at home, connected to my home wi-fi. The only app that was running during both instances was the Verizon Messages+ app - otherwise the other apps running were totally different.

I say potentially 3 times because last Thursday, my alarm app failed to go off at its scheduled time for the first time in the last 2 years, and I wonder if maybe that was the first instance of this issue. The 2nd instance happened last night at 8:30pm, when my phone suddenly said it was 1:30am, and then it happened again at 1:18am this morning, when my phone suddenly said it was 6:18am (which gave me some minor anxiety, as my alarm is set to wake me up for work at 5:15am).

I am using a Galaxy S7, running all the latest OS and Verizon patches/updates that have been made available. Switching to manually setting the timezone seems to have fixed things for the moment, but its been less than 24hrs since the last instances of this issue, so I'm not certain. I also can't leave my phone in manual timezone mode, as my transit app requires my phone to be in automatic timezone mode (for whatever reason), so now I am constantly switching between auto and manual modes when I need to take the train to/from work.

Was a solution ever realized for this??

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I know for me, I left my phone in manual time zone. Which I understand isn't the best option for you.

I had actually switched it back to automatic for a while until I saw it was switching again. The rep wanted my phone number to call me back and then I assume to test some things on either my phone or the network I was connected to. I didn't agree to do this testing because where I was having the problem wasn't where I lived or worked instead was a location where I drove through every day to work.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Michsam23
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the update, Ann154. If it weren't for that stupid requirement for my transit app (which I'm contacting them about in hopes they can adjust that, since it's really not necessary...), I would just leave my phone in manual and just adjust it as needed when I travel to a new timezone (which isn't too frequent for the moment, so not a big deal.

Verizon, please help! This is a simple, neccessary thing. You really need to resolve it.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Correction. I turned off the Automatic Date and Time instead of the Automatic Time Zone. I don't know if that helps or not.

0 Likes
josephe_vzw
Verizon Employee

I certainly understand the importance of your phone telling the correct time, Michsam23. I too use my device to keep time, and act as my morning alarm clock, so it would be worrisome to see the time jump ahead like that. I also appreciate all of your efforts to keep your Galaxy S7 up to date with both software and applications, and with using manual time settings as a temporary fix.

Let’s work on a more permanent solution. You mentioned that this started happening within the last few days; What changed with your device before this started? Do you know if any other Verizon users in your household or area are having the same trouble? What zip code are you located at?

JosephE_VZW

0 Likes
Michsam23
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi @josephe_vzw,

As far as I'm aware, no one else in my household is having this issue, though the other 2 smartphones that are used in the house at the moment are much older models (a Samsung S3 and an S5) running older OSs and are not kept up-to-date, as well as 2 S9s that are not yet added onto Verizon's network. We are located in zipcode 07656, and I have not encountered the issue while at work at zipcode 10006 (I leave it on Automatic Timezone during the day and switch it back to Manual after I use my transit app on the way home).

The last 2 system updates I was prompted to install were on Nov 17 and then again yesterday, so nothing immediately before the first incident. A bunch of apps were updated and have been updated since then (I have Google Play set to auto-update my apps over wi-fi), so that will be difficult to narrow down exactly what app may have caused the issue - most of the Google apps updated around that time, including Google Maps (last updated on the day before the issue occurred).

0 Likes
alans_vzw
Verizon Employee

Thanks for all the shared information and keeping us up to date on your testing regarding the time-zone issue, Michsam23. I did check on the zip code provided and don't see any service or time-zone issues that exist. I also don't see this is a known issue for the Samsung Galaxy S7, so there was never a need to patch this problem with any past software updates. We'll work together to ensure you don't miss any other alarms in the future. So we can move forward with a resolution, please run a Device Health Check on your Galaxy S7 via the link attached. This will help determine any conflicting issues with existing apps or settings that may be getting in the way. My Verizon app - Android - Device Health Check | Verizon Wireless

If necessary, I would also recommend that you perform a Reset Settings to help correct any issues. The steps are attached here: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-203756/ Please keep us posted on any changes. Thanks!

AlanS_VZW

0 Likes
Michsam23
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi AlanS_VZW,

I ran the Service Check on my S7. The issues that the check found was:

- "Your timeout period is short - Your screen shuts off automatically after a few seconds which conserves power" (Not sure how this is an issue? I set it up like this to conserve battery....)

- I have Wi-Fi calling off

- I have developer options turned on

- I don't have a security & privacy app

- 1 app was unrecognized ("Channel" which looks to be an Android app, as it has the Android logo next to it)

- 21 apps that contain ad plugins (thats not uncommon these days...)

- 1.6GB of temporary files that were unnecessary (I went and cleared the caches of those apps listed)

Nothing there really concerns me, as most of those settings I purposely set, and most free apps now-a-days have ads built-in. The rest came up normal.

As for the second suggestion, I do not want to reset ALL of my settings, as I have everything set up exactly as I want/need it to get the best use of my device.

0 Likes