Re: Keeping grandfathered unlimited data question
larzwar
Enthusiast - Level 2

Wow, ok, I've touched a nerve! Again, this just makes me feel like I have something worth fighting to keep. 

Yes, I did buy the phone online directly from Apple. It asked me which carrier I had, but it did not ask me to change my plan. The SIM card the new phone came with says Verizon.

(FYI, I actually thought the opposite as you--that if I bought the phone from Verizon, not Apple, that's when I would be forced to switch plans. That has been my experience--but that was via the Verizon website, not calling them.)

As of right now, I can see that I still have my same plan. But that makes sense, bc as far as Verizon knows, nothing has changed. I didn't buy the phone from them and I haven't activated it.

What is the difference between putting my current (old) SE's SIM card in the new phone and activating that way, versus using the SIM card the new phone was sold with and just calling Verizon or following the prompts on the phone to activate it? Are they equivalent?

And if I were to go the Jetpack route, wouldn't my kids' phones only work when they were physically near me? I'm not really inclined to do that, bc (1) I just bought a new iPhone, so I'm not in a big hurry to spend more money (2) I am not a techie and find the whole idea a bit intimidating, and (3) half the time I have no idea where I left my phone, so the idea of having a second device I need to always have near me is not very realistic. Plus (4), which is that unless I'm misunderstanding, the Jetpack would only give my kids Wifi while near me and the Jetpack.

So then is the thing to do, if I want to hold onto this plan, if only on principle, just to activate the new phone, and maybe try to go to a lower minute plan? Is the Jetpack the only way to 'add' other devices/family members to my existing unlimited data? Is there another way to have a hotspot without buying a jetpack and without losing my gudp (I feel like I've read something on here about an app that acts as a hotspot)?

FWIW, I do get an employee discount now. But mostly it just feels like I'm paying a lot of money to have "real" unlimited data vs. not really unlimited data. Since my kids aren't on my plan, I can't use parental controls on their lines, either, unless I'm misunderstanding that, too. But again, I'm in over my head with all this stuff, although I do appreciate your efforts to be very clear in your reply--so for now I'm happy to just find out what to do next, bc my old phone is barely functional and the new one is waiting for me to use it! 

0 Likes
Benitez147
Contributor - Level 1

@larzwar wrote:

Wow, ok, I've touched a nerve! Again, this just makes me feel like I have something worth fighting to keep.

Yes, there are people who are angered that many of us that have the nationwide unlimited data decide to keep it and Verizon is letting us keep it. They feel it is unfair when we don't have to abide by the network congestion rules Verizon imposes on these new "unlimited" data plans. They give you an allowance ie. 50 GB, 75 GB (which you will pass due to people using more data now than ever). Wait till 4K comes to mobile phones and see how much data that is going to use. Let's keep on upsetting these people by keeping this plan  and sticking it to Verizon. 

Yes, I did buy the phone online directly from Apple. It asked me which carrier I had, but it did not ask me to change my plan. The SIM card the new phone came with says Verizon.

(FYI, I actually thought the opposite as you--that if I bought the phone from Verizon, not Apple, that's when I would be forced to switch plans. That has been my experience--but that was via the Verizon website, not calling them.)

As of right now, I can see that I still have my same plan. But that makes sense, bc as far as Verizon knows, nothing has changed. I didn't buy the phone from them and I haven't activated it.

Good to know. Now I know something else where I can buy directly from the apple website and I will not be prompted to change my plan. That means you got Verizon Wireless version of the iPhone SE, you could have saved $40 on the upgrade fee if you would have bought the SIM free version from the apple website. Yes, using the Verizon Website will prompt you to change your plan. I speak with a Verizon Wireless customer service representative that processes my order.

What is the difference between putting my current (old) SE's SIM card in the new phone and activating that way, versus using the SIM card the new phone was sold with and just calling Verizon or following the prompts on the phone to activate it? Are they equivalent?

Your (old) SE's SIM card is already activated. You can activate the new SIM card that came in your new iPhone SE phone, but you will have to call in and activate it. I wouldn't risk calling in when you already have a functioning SIM card with your information on it where you can just pop it in your phone and instantly activate it as soon as you turn it on.

And if I were to go the Jetpack route, wouldn't my kids' phones only work when they were physically near me? Yes, Jetpacks are portable routers. Whoever is trying to have internet access has to be close to the person with the Jetpack. I'm not really inclined to do that, bc (1) I just bought a new iPhone, so I'm not in a big hurry to spend more money You can buy a used jetpacks for about $20-$40 if you buy it used, just make sure you have a clean IMEI number. You can check that by calling in to Verizon to make sure it is not stolen. (2) I am not a techie and find the whole idea a bit intimidating No problem, everyone has different preferences, and (3) half the time I have no idea where I left my phone, so the idea of having a second device I need to always have near me is not very realistic. Plus (4), which is that unless I'm misunderstanding, the Jetpack would only give my kids Wifi while near me and the Jetpack. Yes, that is correct.

So then is the thing to do, if I want to hold onto this plan, if only on principle, just to activate the new phone, and maybe try to go to a lower minute plan? Is the Jetpack the only way to 'add' other devices/family members to my existing unlimited data? No, you can add lines  or lower your minutes to your nationwide account but I the only way to do it is contacting a Verizon Wireless customer service representative to add lines to your account (not sure if you have a single line or multi line family account) or you can add a sub account to your account and put your kids lines on a completely different plan which would be the newer plans Verizon offers. Is there another way to have a hotspot without buying a jetpack and without losing my gudp (I feel like I've read something on here about an app that acts as a hotspot)? Yes, you can subscribe to the tethering feature Verizon offers which is $29.99 (your company discount will lower the cost of this feature). I have not seen a tethering app on an apple device to give the iPhone the ability to tether.

FWIW, I do get an employee discount now. But mostly it just feels like I'm paying a lot of money to have "real" unlimited data vs. not really unlimited data. Take a look at posts on the community forum from customers complaining that their data is being throttled to a crawl to the point they are unable to stream a song without it buffering. Since my kids aren't on my plan, I can't use parental controls on their lines, either, unless I'm misunderstanding that, too. But again, I'm in over my head with all this stuff, although I do appreciate your efforts to be very clear in your reply--so for now I'm happy to just find out what to do next, bc my old phone is barely functional and the new one is waiting for me to use it! Please read my response about adding a sub account to your Verizon Wireless account with a Verizon Wireless customer service representative or you can try to find a knowledgeable representative to add more lines to your nationwide plan. If you have a single line nationwide plan, it will have to be converted into a multi line account. On Nationwide plans, I know 2 GB's cost $30 aside from the $9.99 access fee for the additional line other than the main line. Not sure I would take the risk to convert your account to add lines as the representative might make a mistake and remove your unlimited data plan. What I did was buy an unlocked iPhone 6s and activated the $15 prepaid AT & T plan. Only drawback is that I won't be able to use parental control and not sure how much those controls actually work as the kids can log on Wi-Fi and bypass most of those Verizon Wireless parental restrictions. You have to trust your kids to be responsible if you give them a phone.  

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

@larzwar 

I feel I was honest about the down side of new plans.    I linked an article below on Verizon response to moving SIM cards to other devices

I encouraged @larzwar  to decide for himself based on his usage and needs, including price and managing child lines (you don’t need Verizon subscriptions to do that, Apple provides free parental controls).    

Both of you might want to read this article  Verizon’s unlimited plan  I think @Benitez147 is aware of Verizon’s aggressive behavior, and customers have posted on the forum over the years.  If you value the plan that much, don’t mess around with it.  He can be defiant (or so he thinks) in keeping the old plan.  I disagree with his encouraging any behavior that might risk someone else’s.  Please weigh for yourself.  Verizon doesn’t sweep Imei/esn like AT&T, but they do watch users with “excess use”.  

As for the new phone, Verizon publicly announced about 2 years ago that those on legacy plans can buy phones with installments and keep their legacy unlimited.  Just no contract upgrades for discounted phones.  There is no risk in activating other than I think you might already be stuck with an upgrade fee because your phone came with a sim card.  
‘If you buy a phone from Samsung, that’s a different story - Samsung‘s website specifically says that upgrading through them will force you onto a new plan.

“Verizon version”?  No such thing.  The SE 2 comes as one (1) model in the USA.  I’ll assume @Benitez147 is an android person like myself and is unaware of Apple stuff.   iphone SE2 tech specs 

0 Likes
larzwar
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you @mama23dogs and @Benitez147  for your continued weighing in. The rvmobile article was very interesting, although the part I really wanted to read was behind a membership paywall. I'm Team Benitez all the way in not wanting to give up what I have just bc a corporation wants me to (though I do have to give Verizon props for letting this whole discussion happen on their community page). Seriously, I have wondered about all of this for quite some time, and by reaching out to the person who was breaking it down in the way that made the most sense to me, I have learned more than I even asked about.

It sounds like if at some point I choose to purchase a mifi/tethering/jetpack device, I would be able to take the SIM card out of my phone, put it in the device, and create a little hotspot for me and others around me, such as on a family road trip--is that right?

I think my confusion about the parental restrictions came from conflating Apple's parental controls with Verizon's. I currently can't monitor my kids bc they aren't on my iCloud account, but that has nothing to do with phones.

And for the record, I am a woman, not a man. 

0 Likes
larzwar
Enthusiast - Level 2

Also, I have a single person/single line plan, so if I wanted to add lines without threatening my current grandfathered one, I could only do that by putting them on my name/account, but under an entirely different plan, correct?

0 Likes
Benitez147
Contributor - Level 1

@larzwar wrote:

Thank you @mama23dogs and @Benitez147  for your continued weighing in. The rvmobile article was very interesting, although the part I really wanted to read was behind a membership paywall. I'm Team Benitez all the way in not wanting to give up what I have just bc a corporation wants me to (though I do have to give Verizon props for letting this whole discussion happen on their community page). Seriously, I have wondered about all of this for quite some time, and by reaching out to the person who was breaking it down in the way that made the most sense to me, I have learned more than I even asked about.

It sounds like if at some point I choose to purchase a mifi/tethering/jetpack device, I would be able to take the SIM card out of my phone, put it in the device, and create a little hotspot for me and others around me, such as on a family road trip--is that right?

I think my confusion about the parental restrictions came from conflating Apple's parental controls with Verizon's. I currently can't monitor my kids bc they aren't on my iCloud account, but that has nothing to do with phones.

And for the record, I am a woman, not a man. 

You're welcome. Yes, whenever anyone brings questions about the legacy unlimited data plan. Veteran posters like @mama23dogs and others who believe they know everything about Verizon including our nationwide plans which they do not have anymore and anyone who offers different advice is incorrect. That is why she suggested looking at the new "unlimited" data plans. When people on these boards complain about their data being throttled to a crawl, all they say is "well you got a really cheap plan. It's like wanting a Ferrari but you have a Nissan" and stupid analogies like that which is why I am telling you to keep the unlimited data plan that you currently have. It's no secret that Verizon does not want people to have these plans instead wanting to migrate them over to more expensive and network congested plans. Let me tell you that I have had this unlimited data plan close to 10 years and I have had my SIM card in a MiFi device for years and I have never received a letter from Verizon. @mama23dogs referenced a good article which highlights problems people with legacy unlimited data have experienced. I read Verizon was actively auditing fraudulent accounts acquired illegally through a 3rd party (ie. through business accounts or leasing your plan to someone else) and terminating their service. Verizon was also actively trying to terminate accounts that used a lot of data roaming because Verizon was paying other companies too much for those users roaming. Verizon decided to cut their loses with that user because they were costing more than what they were bringing in and terminated their account. I live in a big city so I have no issue of roaming. The case referenced in RV mobile website did not state what situation they were in. I know people who strictly use the legacy unlimited data only for data and use over 200 GB monthly and have not received anything from Verizon. You do want to proceed with caution and not abuse data like some users have, but I have a feeling that you don't and majority of users do not abuse it. They just like to label all of us as abusing data because we have this plan. I quote the article referenced from 2012 from phone news website in which Verizon responded, "

The SIM holds the detail of your data plan. If you move it to another device, you will be charged for the service you use. If you have an unlimited SIM and it fits another device, you can use it and you will pay for the service plan associated with the SIM.

Even we were surprised by the clarity of Verizon’s confirmation. This means Verizon is well aware that they cannot touch your grandfathered smartphone data plan, just because you chose to move it to a LTE MiFi or LTE iPad (which also acts as a portable hotspot)." 

Yes, you can purchase a used Mi-Fi device and simply remove your SIM card from your phone and place it on a Jetpack without the fear of hearing from Verizon. That is the beauty of having a true unlimited data. You can tether 30 GB or 70 GB if you choose to use that much and not worry about your tethering allowance to stop like these new plans have in their terms. If you switch to these new plans, your terms and conditions will change and you will be subjected to the new rules Verizon implemented when they re-introduced the new Unlimited Data plans. 

I think @mama23dogs understood clearly what I meant, but she is trying to nitpick everything I wrote. Obviously iPhone SE only has one model in the USA and she knew I meant you bought the iPhone SE that is locked to the Verizon Wireless network for 60 days (you can unlock if you have a qualifying reason before the 60 days), but she is trying to make me look dumb because the "expert" is getting schooled on this plan. 

Yes, @mama23dogs is correct. I use both Android and iPhone. If you bought your kids iPhones, then you can set parental controls within the iPhone. Go to "settings", "screen time", "Content & Privacy Restrictions" and in the content & privacy restrictions tab is where you can block Apps, iTunes & App store purchases, Content restrictions, communication restrictions and then go to main screen on the "content & privacy restrictions" tab and set a screen time pass code which your kids won't have. If you want to subscribe to Verizon's Smart Family ($4.99 a month). Just make sure you log in your iCloud account to their iPhones and you can locate them on the iCloud.  

It is up to you if you want to try to convert your single line account into a multi line account. You would have to talk to a Customer Service Representative to see if they can convert your account. It is better to talk to a knowledgeable representative that is family with Nationwide plans and familiar with legacy Verizon codes on their system. If you get a representative who is not familiar with these plans and you proceed to change your plan, then you run the risk of the representative removing your unlimited data by "mistake".

90001	Nationwide Voice Family Share 700/$69.98
90002	Nationwide Voice Family Share 1400/$89.98
90003	Nationwide Voice & Messaging Family Share 700 Minutes/$99.98
90004	Nationwide Voice & Messaging Family Share 1400 Minutes/$119.98
90005	Nationwide Voice Family Share 2000 Minutes/$99.98

If you decide to keep your single line, you can drop your minutes and save some money that way. 

73436	Nationwide Voice Individual 450 Minutes/$39.99
73442	Nationwide Voice & Messaging 450 Minutes/$59.99

Your company discount will be applied if you stay on the .99 pricing. If you add additional lines to your family plan and you get your kids on the 2GB $30 minute plan with a smartphone, then your company discount will not apply to that data plan. If I was you, I would try to get the iPhones you bought your kids unlocked (call customer service and see if they can do this process for you) and buy the $15 prepaid AT & T smartphone plan. It costs around $16 after taxes and you will save a lot of money. Downside is you won't be able to activate Smart Family with it, but if you mess around with the screen time restrictions like I posted up there, you might feel more comfortable managing their phones. Good luck and thank you for posting that you are a female to show that I am an equal opportunity to either gender.

0 Likes
Benitez147
Contributor - Level 1

@larzwar wrote:

Also, I have a single person/single line plan, so if I wanted to add lines without threatening my current grandfathered one, I could only do that by putting them on my name/account, but under an entirely different plan, correct?

You can either do two things. You can add lines to your Nationwide plan like I mentioned in the last post or you can create a sub account with a customer service representative in your account. You will have two different accounts with Verizon if you create a sub account. The new sub account will consist of new plans whichever one you choose to put your kids in.

0 Likes
larzwar
Enthusiast - Level 2

0 Likes
larzwar
Enthusiast - Level 2

the rest:

Verizon Agent

I apologized for the delay, but I am having trouble getting the details of these plans on my end.

Verizon Agent

May I know where did you access the information?

You

I think they are pretty old, maybe thats why.

You

on a verizon community chat board.

Verizon Agent

I tried accessing it on our tools and it seems that it's under Inactive Plans.

Verizon Agent

Would you still like to change the plan to 450 minutes?

You

so youre saying you can change to those plans, you just cant see what they are (the details)?

I can try if the option to change the plan will push through.

You

no, I dont want to risk that.

Verizon Agent

For grandfather plans, there are times that system will allow us to continue.

Verizon Agent

I understand, rest assured that I will not change the plan.

You

so it will either allow you to continue or not, but not change anything? can you be sure?

Verizon Agent

It's like the system will allow me to change the plan but won't be completed.

You

If that is safe, lets see. If it does take, will you be able to see the details of that plan?

Verizon Agent

I tried doing it and here's what it says before we proceed. 

Verizon Agent

Completion of this order will remove friends and family from this account. The friends and family list will be lost. 

You

Lets just leave it as is. Im getting nervous!

You

Thank you for trying, though

Verizon Agent

Right, no worries, I know that you are happy with your current plan 🙂

Verizon Agent

I will not take any action on the account resulting for the plan to be removed.

You

its kind of overkill, but considering how much Verizon doesnt want me to keep it, I know its going to be worth it at some point! LOL

0 Likes
larzwar
Enthusiast - Level 2

So there you have it: what JUST happened when I tried to add lines or switch to a plan with fewer minutes. I know you recommended getting someone on the phone, but like I said, I happened to be texting over another minor issue, and I'm a pretty good judge of competence, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to try. If I pursue it, I will go with trying over the phone. (I remember back in the day when you had to buy airline tickets over the phone, it was always a matter of finding an agent who was willing to play around and try different date and time combinations. I get this game!)

And for the record, you are right, I am definitely not using enough data to be on Verizon's list of people to pursue, and I live in a city too, so I rarely roam.

Now, back to the original matter--I must admit that you lost me on your last posts.  Here are my questions, if you don't mind.

1. You said "you can tether 30 GB or 70 GB if you choose to use that much and not worry about your tethering allowance to stop like these new plans have in their terms."  Are you saying that if I do hook up a mifi device or similar with my phone's sim card in it, I can use it as much as I want? I don't really understand 'tether' as a verb in this context. I think what you are saying is that I won't have a limit, is all. And to be clear, I could pop the SIM card out of the phone, into the device, and back into the phone as I wish, right?

2. I still don't understand about the Nationwide Family plans. Although I struck out today, is the idea that I could switch to one of those plans and share my unlimited data across multiple lines? If so, then why did you say "If you add additional lines to your family plan and you get your kids on the 2GB $30 minute plan with a smartphone..."? Or is it that they would share my minutes, but not my data? This is the part I am not following. (Although I faked it pretty well with the Verizon rep!)

3. Regarding this: "I would try to get the iPhones you bought your kids unlocked (call customer service and see if they can do this process for you) and buy the $15 prepaid AT & T smartphone plan. It costs around $16 after taxes and you will save a lot of money. " You are saying to switch the phones to AT&T altogether? How much data would they have for $15 bucks--can't be much, right? or are you saying to do that and have them connect via the Jetpack? Bc that's not going to work since they are usually on their phones a lot not right next to me. Currently, they have iphone 7s and are on Boost Mobile, which is what their dad set them up with. It would just obviously be cheaper if they could leach off my unlimited, but I don't really expect to be able to pull that off.

Any clarification on this is appreciated! And I hope you got some good intel from my chat transcript! I'm sure if nothing else, it was fuel for your fire. 🙂

0 Likes