Re: Just a quick question on your contract terms when you Edge up.
rcschnoor
Legend

Weth wrote:

I paid up front to lock in math to month $25 discount.

What about the month-to-month discount states that once you have it activated you wouldn't lose it if Verizon chose not to offer it anymore??? You are betting the same that Verizon will keep the month-to-month discount. Since it is an arbitrary discount just added, Verizon can just as easily take it away. There is no contract saying you are going to get that discount forever.

With the Edge discount, it is listed as one of the selling points. Verizon doesn't even advertise the month-to-month discount and some associates don't even seem to be aware of it. I would feel safer having the Edge discount over the month-to-month discount.

But as you said, it is a safe bet that as long as one is available, the other will be, too.

0 Likes
Not applicable

lewisr13 wrote:

mrhelper wrote:

If you can pay full price it's best to do that.

If there's no finance charge and you can pay it off at any time, why is it best to pay all upfront?

say a $700 Note 4 = $29.17 a month. Then after $25 Edge discount the bill is now $4.17 higher. Pay of the phone and still get the $25 month2month discount bill is $25 a month LOWER. In the end yes it all comes out to be the same, but my bill is lower if I pay for the phone upfront and say in a year I have financial troubles the $29 a month my bill is lower than what it would have been on Edge will help.

Also say the phone I paid upfront breaks 6 months later I could then go and do Edge and get a new phone for the cost of the sales tax. If I'm already doing Edge I'd have to pay $525  to pay off the old phone plus the sales tax of the new phone before I could get a new one. Which I may not have at the time. If I have the money NOW then it's best to use it now. I may not have it down the road if I need it.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

mrhelper wrote:

lewisr13 wrote:

mrhelper wrote:

If there's no finance charge and you can pay it off at any time, why is it best to pay all upfront?

say a $700 Note 4 = $29.17 a month. Then after $25 Edge discount the bill is now $4.17 higher.

Absolutely. And with that $700 you keep in your pocket NOW, you can take $4.17 each month and pay the additional on your bill.

mrhelper wrote:

Also say the phone I paid upfront breaks 6 months later I could then go and do Edge and get a new phone for the cost of the sales tax. If I'm already doing Edge I'd have to pay $525  to pay off the old phone plus the sales tax of the new phone before I could get a new one.

If your phone breaks after 6 months, you can take the $700 you got to keep in your pocket LESS the 6 x $4.17($700 - 6 x $4.17 = $674.98) additional you had to pay on your bill for those 6 months and STILL have $674.98 left over to pay off your current Edge phone with enough left over ($674.98 - $525 = $149.98) to pay the tax on the new Edge agreement if you so choose.

As I said previously, it may be best for some to pay up front if you feel better doing so. For others, it can be just as good to pay via Edge even if you have the money up front to pay at the time of purchase.

If worried about the future, it can also be argued that the $700 you didn't pay at the time of purchase CAN come in handy if you come upon money problems down the road. After all, money in your account WILL accrue interest while money you give to Verizon WILL NOT do so. It may not be much, but it IS additional money you would not have had.

0 Likes
Not applicable

rcschnoor wrote:

mrhelper wrote:

lewisr13 wrote:

mrhelper wrote:

say a $700 Note 4 = $29.17 a month. Then after $25 Edge discount the bill is now $4.17 higher.

Absolutely. And with that $700 you keep in your pocket NOW, you can take $4.17 each month and pay the additional on your bill.

mrhelper wrote:

Also say the phone I paid upfront breaks 6 months later I could then go and do Edge and get a new phone for the cost of the sales tax. If I'm already doing Edge I'd have to pay $525  to pay off the old phone plus the sales tax of the new phone before I could get a new one.

If your phone breaks after 6 months, you can take the $700 you got to keep in your pocket LESS the 6 x $4.17($700 - 6 x $4.17 = $674.98) additional you had to pay on your bill for those 6 months and STILL have $674.98 left over to pay off your current Edge phone with enough left over ($674.98 - $525 = $149.98) to pay the tax on the new Edge agreement if you so choose.

As I said previously, it may be best for some to pay up front if you feel better doing so. For others, it can be just as good to pay via Edge even if you have the money up front to pay at the time of purchase.

If worried about the future, it can also be argued that the $700 you didn't pay at the time of purchase CAN come in handy if you come upon money problems down the road. After all, money in your account WILL accrue interest while money you give to Verizon WILL NOT do so. It may not be much, but it IS additional money you would not have had.

Well to each his own I'm saying that's what I would do. I could get an upgrade now on Edge as I am out of contract. Seeing that I am already getting the $25 a month discount any phone I get on Edge will raise my bill by the entire amount of the Edge payment. Now sure I could take the entire cost of the phone and set it aside and use that money to pay the Edge payment each month, but let's just say the person whose name the bill is on doesn't want to see a higher bill even if the higher amount is being paid for. Thus it's easier just to pay for the phone upfront and the bill stays the same

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

mrhelper wrote:

Well to each his own I'm saying that's what I would do.

With this statement, I certainly have no problem. In a previous statement, though, you stated

mrhelper wrote:

That certainly is not saying "to each his own" as you are now. I agree with the "to each his own" statement. What is best for one is not always best for others. Some of the most financially savvy people I know ALWAYS prefer for other people's money to work for them rather than their own money ESPECIALLY when the other person's money comes at 0% interest.

mrhelper wrote:

Now sure I could take the entire cost of the phone and set it aside and use that money to pay the Edge payment each month, but let's just say the person whose name the bill is on doesn't want to see a higher bill even if the higher amount is being paid for. Thus it's easier just to pay for the phone upfront and the bill stays the same

Yes, you would rather see your current bill being paid with a lower bank balance because you paid the $700 up front. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

I certainly agree, though, to each their own.Smiley Happy

0 Likes