Just a quick question on your contract terms when you Edge up.
Motorweek
Enthusiast - Level 2

I understand the Edge program and have read the contract I signed several times.  I think I know the answer to this but wanted to make sure. 

The original terms of my Edge agreement for my 3 lines are 50% and 24 payments on 2 line, 60% and 20 payments on the other.  They've recently changed it to 75% and back to 24 payments. Am I correct in assuming that Edge customers have effectively 1 round of their original agreement, but the moment they Edge up they are then subject to the then current "plan of the month" for that next term.  So I will only be eligible for an upgrade at 50% for my next upgrade and if the plan at that time is 90%, then that's what I'm subject to for the next Edge up.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Just a quick question on your contract terms when you Edge up.
Not applicable

You can Edge up based on the original terms that were in place when you signed up. If you use Edge again yes you'll be subject to the new terms. Each Edge agreement is new agreement not a continuation of the old one. It's like buying a car. You may get one with 0% financing a few years later you trade your car in and you may only be offered 6% financing.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Not applicable

You can Edge up based on the original terms that were in place when you signed up. If you use Edge again yes you'll be subject to the new terms. Each Edge agreement is new agreement not a continuation of the old one. It's like buying a car. You may get one with 0% financing a few years later you trade your car in and you may only be offered 6% financing.

0 Likes
Motorweek
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks.  That's what I thought.  Probably makes sense to watch out for and take advantage of promotions or specials in terms of the percentage if early upgrades are a thing of interest.  I would think the current terms of upgrading after 75% would be a tough sell.  If in the future they're motivated to get more new people on Edge I would that number would change.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Why would it be a tough sell? upgrade at 18 months vs 24 with a 2 year contract. Doesn't seem to be an issue with at&t who has the same 24 payments/ 75% policy on their Next plan and they have 50% on those plans. You also don't get those on sub 10 GB plans are getting $15 a month off vs $10. So upgrading at 12 months is not actually that much more expensive and in some case is cheaper.

Take the new Sony Z3v $600 upgrade at 12 months

Old 20 month 60% Edge plan with $10 discount for 8 GB or less

Edge payments $360( 12 X $30 ) - $120( 12 X $10 discount )= $240 total paid

New 24 month 75% Edge plan with $15 discount for 8 GB or less

Edge payments $450( 12 X $25 +$150 to reach 75% ) - $180( 12 X $15 discount )= $270 total paid

So only $30 more out of pocket. Wait 13 months and it gets cheaper.

0 Likes
Motorweek
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tough sell is perhaps a bit narrow minded wording  - its just far less positive than it was just a few months back.  I didn't realize they changed the sub 8g plan credit but since I have been at >10g for quite a while on a multi-line family plan, it doesn't apply.  Using your formula comparing what I signed up for earlier this year compared to now:

50% Edge, $25 discount for >10g

Edge payments $300($12 x 25) - $300(12 x $25 discount) = $0

75% Edge, $25 discount for >10g

Edge payments $450($12 x 25+$150 to reach 75%) - $300(12 x $25 discount) = $150

If I want to upgrade every year, it costs $150 more per line to do it.  Or I have to wait 6 months longer.  That's not the end of the world but it is meaningful on a multi-line account.  

0 Likes
Not applicable

I think Verizon's main problem was getting those on sub 10 GB plans to go on Edge. That was only going to happen if they matched at&t's $15 discount. Also now the payments are smaller so I'm glad they went back to 24 months. We upgraded 2 lines on the 20 months plans. If they were 24 months our bill would be $10 cheaper. The 2 lines weren't likely to upgrade in 12 months anyway.

Basically on the old plans if you didn't upgrade at 12 months you were flushing money down the toilet unless you waited until you paid the phone off. The new plans you're not losing money unless you wait longer than 18 months. Also the main point of Edge is for people who can't afford full price a way to be able to do that. If you can pay full price it's best to do that. You still get the same discount as Edge.

0 Likes
lewisr13
Champion - Level 1

mrhelper wrote:

If you can pay full price it's best to do that.

If there's no finance charge and you can pay it off at any time, why is it best to pay all upfront?

rcschnoor
Legend

lewisr13 wrote:

mrhelper wrote:

If you can pay full price it's best to do that.

If there's no finance charge and you can pay it off at any time, why is it best to pay all upfront?

I've been asking this for quite some time. It isn't best, simply a matter of opinion. It may be best for some, but those with a differing opinion it is not necessarily best.

Personally, I believe it is better to keep MY money in MY pocket for as long as I can. Paying up front when paying over time with NO difference in amount paid is contrary to this belief. Of course, living within your means would still apply in either situation.Smiley Happy

0 Likes
lewisr13
Champion - Level 1

rcschnoor wrote:

Of course, living within your means would still apply in either situation.

That's the piece way too many people forget about, or probably just ignore.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

I generally agree, but you are betting the month to month discount will still be in place in 24 months.  I think a safe bet, but not a sure thing.  I paid up front to lock in math to month $25 discount. Of course what plans are available in 24 months is anyone's guess. 

0 Likes