Re: Just a little Upset
FordFocus1

JohnB_VZM

We purchased the phone in November or December  of 2014 and at that time we didn't get insurance on her phone.  When kayaking season began I knew she was going to need it so we called the Verizon I-800 number and added insurance on the phone.  The operator that I spoke to didn't mention anything about a 30 day grace period nor that we couldn't insure the phone.  She just added it to the phone and no there wasn't a test call, but I did call my girlfriends phone to talk to her, but it went to voicemail.  So it was working at the time before the phone went in the water.  I just want to make this right and get her a phone.  She is very upset about this and I have already emailed the insurance company again today.  Is there any way you can help make this right it would be greatly appreciated.  I have been a customer since 2008 and this is the first time I have ever had to do something like this. 

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Not likely. Unfortunately. There way it goes is insurance is added at time of purchase and you're covered immediately. Within 30 days of purchase (even if it is the next day) your coverage begins in 30 days. During open enrollment (which I believe ran all of Feb through March 18th) your coverage begins in 30 days. So even IF you added it during open enrollment AND you made a connecting call (not a VZW test call) and this happened before the 30 days you would not be covered.

I am sorry that this has happened to you but it is not Verizon nor is it Asurion's responsibility to take care of this. We are all asked and encouraged to add the protection at the time of purchase. The sales reps aren't pushing us to get it just because they get a small commission on it (though it's a large part of the reason). It is also to prevent these things from happening. I used to work with these devices and people would decline the insurance at the original sale then when something happened they would get very irate. I am not saying this is the case here but with or without the protection is always a gamble. With it, you're potentially paying for something that you don't need. Without, when you do need it you don't have it. Which has happened to me. I will gladly pay the $10 or $11 a month to be protected.

arkainzeye
Contributor - Level 1

Wait.. someone intentionally took a electronic device that costs a lot of money in the water.. am I understanding this correctly...

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

arkainzeye, what exactly is the point of your post? It adds no value to the conversation. People are free to do with their electronic devices as they wish. Nobody has the right or authority to judge anyone else for anything or any decision they make.

0 Likes
arkainzeye
Contributor - Level 1

you're absolutely correct, anyone can do whatever they want with their phone. But when they do whatever they want and the consequences are not what they like, is it the responsibility of somebody else to correct the decision that they have made?

sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

You are waaaaay late on this. We already helped the OP. He thought he was protected and misunderstood what was being presented to him by VZW. He wanted insurance and was told that it was added but when he needed it it wasn't there. So he fully knew the consequences of taking his device into a potentially dangerous situation and was fully prepared to pay any deductible. The issue is that nobody explained to him fully the coverage and how it works. Lots of people are under the impression that when you add the insurance during the open enrollment period or within the first 30 day it is immediate coverage and it is not. So, you see, he did the right thing to take responsibility and was misled. What he was hoping for was someone to maybe help him out. I don't know if he fully accepted my last response since there was no response from him but it is not for you to judge his situation or his actions. He was doing exactly what he thought he needed to to protect himself. It just so happens that the VZW rep misrepresented his options and now he is kind of up the creek.

arkainzeye
Contributor - Level 1

Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.

Albert Einstein

0 Likes