Joining a New Share Everything Plan & Keeping My Existing VZW Number
nconstable

My girlfriend and I are both on track to upgrade our devices next month. Currently, we each have unlimited data plans and will be forced to switch to a Share Everything plan when upgrading. To save money and take advantage of her company discount, we plan to put both phones on one Share Everything plan.

What is the easiest way to move my account to her plan or have my existing number ported to the new device she will add to her new Share Everything plan?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Joining a New Share Everything Plan & Keeping My Existing VZW Number
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

I would upgrade, let that "settle", then do the AOL.  If  you do an AOL with less than a year remaining on your current contract, I believe you have a year before you can upgrade on the new account, and if your current contract has more than a year left, it stays the same.  So do the upgrade first.... is my recommendation.  Or at the same time - we've done that.  We upgraded my daughter to the iPhone from a basic, and then did an AOL at the same time in a corporate store.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Well Unless you absolutely have to I would hang onto your Unlimited as Long as you can you can Upgrade you'll just have to pay full price unless you buy the Device by Third party)

If you still choose to Go to a Share Everything Make Sure you Get enough Data Minutes as they give you Unlimited Talk & Text But the Data is were things pile up I seen my Data almost Double since my Area moved to 4G just a Year ago I like the 4G and all but my 2 phones drink it Like a Sailor Drinks a Beer..   

0 Likes
nconstable

Thanks for the heads up about the data.

I was thinking about getting 4 or 6 GB to share between us. We're both on wi-fi at home and work, but I'm sure we'll rack it up with the 4G.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Well that's a Good thing to have for Sure I have and use Wi-Fi Quite a Bit and i have the 4G the reason I use it is that i have Cox  > Cable and Internet and my internet speeds using my NetGear N600 are faster than the 4G and it's fully Constant over the Network but i'm still one that loves my Unlimited and will as Long as i Can..

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

nconstable wrote:

My girlfriend and I are both on track to upgrade our devices next month. Currently, we each have unlimited data plans and will be forced to switch to a Share Everything plan when upgrading. To save money and take advantage of her company discount, we plan to put both phones on one Share Everything plan.

What is the easiest way to move my account to her plan or have my existing number ported to the new device she will add to her new Share Everything plan?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

No, you will not be forced to switch to the Share Everything plan when you upgrade, assuming you're currently on a Nationwide plan.  I'm sure you'll be highly encouraged to switch, but you don't have to switch unless you want to, so you may want to run the numbers and see what plan works best for you.  However, I believe if you upgrade at a third-party retailer like Best Buy, they only have the option to move you to Share Everything.

If you want to keep your unlimited data (at least for now), as mentioned above, you can pay full retail price or buy it from somewhere like ebay or swappa (anywhere that doesn't require you to sign a new two-year contract).  If you decide to upgrade, you can switch to a tiered data plan (i.e., $30 for 2 GB).

If you want to move your line to your GF's plan, she'll need to do an Assumption of Liability on your line.  There are numerous threads about how to do it on this forum, but basically it needs to be done over the phone or at a store, it can't be done on-line.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

B33 wrote:

Well Unless you absolutely have to I would hang onto your Unlimited as Long as you can you can Upgrade you'll just have to pay full price unless you buy the Device by Third party)

If you still choose to Go to a Share Everything Make Sure you Get enough Data Minutes Allotment as they give you Unlimited Talk & Text But the Data is were things pile up I seen my Data almost Double since my Area moved to 4G just a Year ago I like the 4G and all but my 2 phones drink it Like a Sailor Drinks a Beer..   

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

WiFi is a great way to avoid using your data allowance in the places you go the most, nconstable. Many customers have been surprised that they use less than 2GB each on average, especially when WiFi is available at home and work. Since you are both Verizon customers, you can use our analysis tool http://vz.to/151a2Sm through My Verizon for each of your current accounts to see how much data you use on average now. It's a great way to get an idea what you'll be needing. And the best part is that you can change your plan anytime to match your needs! So if you go on a trip, for example, and need a little more data one month you can simply log into My Verizon http://bit.ly/xB4iTc and switch for the month. Easy peasy!

And having her take over your line is easy too! With our Assumption of Liability http://bit.ly/JG6iOD she can simply take over your line to add it to her account and get started on a share plan that'll fit your needs.

Thank you
JenniferH_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
nconstable

Thanks for all the insight. I was aware that I could keep the unlimited plan if I paid full price. What we are looking to do is both upgrade to the next iPhone when it's released. I've done the AOL before, but never paid attention to its effect on the upgrade schedule.

We've been eligible to upgrade out phones at a discounted price since June, but have waited for the next iPhone to be released. Will doing an AOL mess up our eligibility to upgrade at a discounted price?

Thanks,

NC

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I think you'd want to upgrade and then do the AOL, but   can address that better than me since she's done AOLs recently.

0 Likes
nconstable

That makes sense. Thanks, tiki!

0 Likes