Iphone 5C while in Ecuador
lc1102002

Hi, traveling to various parts of Ecuador next month.

Ive been advised in order to call/text home (NYC) i need to purchase an unlocked GSM phone then get a SIM card in Ecuador.

I called Verizon today and they told me that I can use my current Verizon iPhone 5C while I'm there, but added on an international calling/data plan for the month.

Im very confused why folks are telling me otherwise and that my verizon phone will not work there. according to the verizon rep once I'm in ecuador, i'll receive a welcome message and my phone will automatically connect to their network.

Can someone tell me which is true?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Iphone 5C while in Ecuador
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Ic1102002, we apologize for any confusion. We want you to be connected while you are away. Let’s look into this more. If you are using the global plan, you will receive a welcome message so you can start using the device there. We will also have to provision the feature on the account. Our 4G LTE devices are unlock so if you intend to use another carriers sim card, you will be able to. You will need to make sure that the device is compatible with their network. 
ZangY_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
lc1102002

Our 4G LTE devices are unlock so if you intend to use another carriers sim card, you will be able to. You will need to make sure that the device is compatible with their network. 

ZangY_VZW

Hey ZangY.  Thank you for your response.  are you saying that my verizon iPhone 5c accepts other country's SIM cards?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Mborges

Can I ask the same question for an iphone 4 8g?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Verizon iPhone 4 was NOT Global ready as it was a 3G EDVO only smartphone. It doesn't have the radio hardware to work overseas.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
lc1102002

My other question is, is my iPhone 5c on 850 frequency?  I'm advised that's what is required in Ecuador

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Check your model against the Apple specifications.

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP684?locale=en_US

0 Likes
lc1102002

This forum is so helpful. I'm stuck here trying to determine if my iPhone 5c is on 850. My model number is MF154ll/a. I can't find the specs on this model.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

That isn't the model number of an iPhone 5c. They start with "A". Identify your iPhone model - Apple Support

0 Likes