Iphone 5 Data Usage
dwarczyns
Enthusiast - Level 2

For some reason, over the past 4 months or so, data usage has slowly inched up to where the phone is nearing, if not going over, the 5GB monthly allowance we're paying for.  In researching the usage (at least for this month), there seems to be times of large data usage when the phone is not even being used (people sleeping or at work (and not being used because of the type of work)).

I don't know if there's a firmware or software issue with the phone (all is up-to-date) or if Verizon is trying to pull something by inching people usage up a little at a time.  Not that I'd every suspect a large for-profit organization like this to do that.  😕

Has anybody else seen this happening?  Just curious.  I'm to the point where I may just take the hit to get out of this contract and go with an unlimited data provider....possibly a pre-paid.  We have them for 2 other phones and the service has actually rivaled that of Verizon.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Iphone 5 Data Usage
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you considered turning off the cellular data connection when the phone is going to not be used or connected to wifi for extended periods of time? The iPhone will turn off the wifi radio when the phone is idle. If the data connection is still on, it will become the active connection and allow the phone to sync of the cellular data instead of the wifi connection.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
dwarczyns
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks Ann....I'd read that elsewhere in the forums and it is something we're trying.  I'll be logging data usage over the next couple of days to see if there are any indications that this might be the culprit.  What is still strange is the usage I'm seeing when the phone is not actually in use.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to ensure you have the right data plan to meet your needs and the ability to monitor your usage dwarczyns! Usage can definitely fluctuate from time to time. I know I go through the same with my family. Your phones may use small amounts of data while updating apps; however, it should not contribute to you going over. No worries though, we make it easy to bump up to the next plan if needed! We would definitely not want to see you sacrifice the quality of the best network! http://bit.ly/xdDajD

Jonathan_VZW
Please follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
dwarczyns
Enthusiast - Level 2

Of course you'd like to see us bump up at additional cost.  A salesman doesn't belong in this conversation, thank you.  A tech does.

ln42664

It is not only an Iphone 5 problem. I have a 4S, and my data plan keeps going up also, even though I'm not doing anything different ! I just checked my "usage" and it shows times that I'm either sleeping or working.... no chance I'm logged on anywhere. There are other times that are showing where I should be using the home wi-fi, NOT my data plan ! Verizon, as soon as possible, I'm off your scam network....and I've been with this company since 1995 !!!

0 Likes
mszonie
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just got off a very frustrating call with Verizon Customer Service (800-922-0204) on this same issue.  I have continually raised our usage amounts every month or paid the overage fees, and I'm so done with this situation.  Verizon did acknowledge that this is a problem with the iPhone 5 and even if you are in a wifi area, it will pull data outside of the wifi.  I was told to avoid this to go into your settings - General - Cellular Data - turn off.  Supposedly you can still get texts and emails but will need to turn Data back on if you leave the house and want to access the internet (aka any of your apps). 

I was then transferred over to Apple since its a hardware problem with the phones.  After holding about 5 minutes, the call said it could not go through and ended.

I would suggest that if Verizon is not going to offer an unlimited data plan, that it start compensating its customers soon, before the class action lawsuits start hitting.  Obviously it is aware of this problem and it should be working with Apple to resolve it, not expecting customers to pay exhorbitant fees every month to cover their technical problems. I hope that customers will protest by leaving the company in droves for its complete lack of customer service on this issue.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi In42664,

We always want your usage charges to be accurate! Let's get this fixed. What software version are you currently on the iPhone 4S? To be certain that your network data is not being used. I would recommend turning off the cellular data completely when connected to Wi-fi on the device. This would keep any data charges from occuring when connected to Wi-fi.

Thanks,
Pamela_VZW
Please follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
ln42664

@ Pamela_VZW ,

My phone tells me its "up to date", but seriously... I should have to turn off my data every time I come home, and turn it on when I leave ??  And this is to avoid being jerked around by a glitch with Verizon .... or Apple ? Come on, I think there has got to be a better suggestion. How about the two conglomerates stop ripping us off, and fix the problem ?!!  A $400.00 phone, and $200.00 per month in phone bills, and now you want me to turn it on and off like its an old "Prime Co. Brick"... really???

T- Mobile, AT&T, do they sound familiar ??......

nothing personal here Pamela, just major frustration !!

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I don't have an iPhone, but I do purposely turn off the data connection when I get home and turn it on when I leave. It is a few seconds to complete.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes