International Verizon European plan- feel ripped off
MIASCA98

Before I left for Europe I signed up for the 1 month plan.  Immediately when i got to Italy I got texts that I was incurring roaming charges and add'l fees.   I just got there!   I consistently got those texts so I spent my 12 day trip looking for free hotspots or using friends' wifi systems!!  I paid $40+ for about 50 texts & a little data but not the 100MB!

I just signed onto my Verizon account and see that the only int'l data I used was Sept 8th, in Amsterdam, not sure how since my roaming was cut off.  Also I got charged on Sept 11th, when my domestic data should have kicked in.  I was in Airplane mode until my flight landed at the Newark NJ airport at  11:40 am.  How could I incur data charges in the air on Airplane mode?  As a 15- 20 year Verizon customer, I feel ripped off..... MY contract ended last November 2015 and have been ambivalent in renewing.  Time to look for another carrier...

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: International Verizon European plan- feel ripped off
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

You have to understand that when you leave the USA you are not on the VZW network. Hence, roaming.

When you are on a network outside of the USA you are paying per minute for calls, per message for texts and per MB for data. VZW does have plans that you can buy a certain amount at a discounted rate. Especially for data. Without the plan data usually runs $21 per MB. You also have to understand that you are not on the VZW network so the network you were connected to has to update and send your usage information to VZW which can take a while. It is then reflected on your bill as of the time VZW was notified of the usage. This is why you could have "usage" while you're on airplane mode.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@MIASCA98 I would be heartbroken if you left. Let's get this resolved so you can stay. I have sent you a message so we can look at your data charges and find a solution.

AdrienneP_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

You have to understand that when you leave the USA you are not on the VZW network. Hence, roaming.

When you are on a network outside of the USA you are paying per minute for calls, per message for texts and per MB for data. VZW does have plans that you can buy a certain amount at a discounted rate. Especially for data. Without the plan data usually runs $21 per MB. You also have to understand that you are not on the VZW network so the network you were connected to has to update and send your usage information to VZW which can take a while. It is then reflected on your bill as of the time VZW was notified of the usage. This is why you could have "usage" while you're on airplane mode.

0 Likes
Re: International Verizon European plan-  feel ripped off
MIASCA98

The point is that I signed up for a plan  & I could never have used 100mb in airplane mode flying from Newatk to Milan Italy.  This is the plan

Your Current Plan:

International Travel 100 Talk, Text & Data - Expires After 1 Month

International Travel 100 Minutes/100 Messages/100MB Data - Expires after 1 month

You've selected the one-month option. Your plan is available on the Start Date and will automatically expire on the End Date.

Start Date: 08/31/2016

End Date: 09/27/201

0 Likes
MIASCA98

0 Likes
MIASCA98

AS you can see I used 1.29 MB as I could never acces it.  I got texts & emails saying I was on roaming charges or no longer had access.....  I don't get it....  I used this before in the UK, same plan and had no issues....   I was cheated...

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Were any of those text messages a MMS message? Those types use data.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
MIASCA98

Most of my messages were thru WhatsApp.   Wouldn't the data useage show up here under data?   It shows 1.29 MB and I've been back since Sept 11th.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

I don't get the problem.  You didn't get any overage charges.  Anything used when traveling overseas whether with a plan or not is roaming since it is not on a Verizon network.  Since it is on a foreign network, reporting of data is often delayed, 24 hours or more is not unusual. 

sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Are you saying that 1.29MB was showed up as you were on the way back from Italy to the USA?

0 Likes