International Travel Question
jlsoaz
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am in a foreign country and wishing my Samsung S3 would simply work, both voice and data.  Can anyone say as to how to get this one.  The only thing I know for certain is I am not going to spend hours trying to get this done.

I will provide details to Verizon reps if they contact me privately and if I have time.

I can't recall for certain if and what conversations I had with Verizon before I left the states.  I believe they claimed that even though my S3 did not work properly last year, it would do so this year due to updates on the OS side.  However, I don't know for certain.

If I recall, this is a community board, I will post my question directly to Verizon, privately, if they will direct me where to do so.  I cannot dial in at present to Verizon support, and once I get to the office am not likely to spend time trying to do so.  If I recall the last time the question came up of corresponding directly with Verizon over email or web, someone suggested Twitter which I did try and where to my knowledge I never got a response.  For more than one reason, I will not be trying that again at this time.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: International Travel Question
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@jlsoaz,

I always use by phone when traveling outside the USA to stay connected with family and friends so I know how important it is to have a working phone. It's like having a safety blanket when traveling.

The SIII is a global phone and you should be able to use while outside the USA. Did you have your account set up for global use? What country are you in?

In order to better assist you I would need to access your account. Please follow me and send me a direct message with your name and mobile number. You can also contact us on Twitter @VZWSupport.

I'm sure we can get your service up and running to you can go back to enjoying your trip.

John_VZW
Please follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
jlsoaz
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi and thanks for the offer of support:

I went here:

http://twitter.com/

logged in to my account and did a search on:

John_VZW
and on

@John_VZW

https://twitter.com/search/realtime?q=John_VZW&src=typd

The only people result it appears to give me is:

john newbern     

@john3333vzw

So is that you? 

If it is not, could you possibly provide better instructions for getting in touch with you than to say I should "follow you"?  I know nothing about how to use Twitter and do not know the tricks for finding people and sending private messages.

I see that I am already "following" the general verizon tech support account.  Exactly how do I send a *private* message to Verizon tech support on Twitter?  (This is not a rhetorical question: I do not see how to do this.)

You might say: "Well evidently you don't know how to use twitter."  I"d say "Yes, that's absolutely true.  We agree.".  I'm not sure how that gets me any customer support, but we agree.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Twitter account is @VZWSupport.

If you want to send the rep a direct message on this forum, you have to send a follow request to and they have to accept it.  They have to send you a follow request and you have to accept that one.  One you are both following each other then you can end them a Direct Message (DM).

If you are going to request someone to send you a direct message PLEASE give the full instructions and your full username so people can FIND you.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
jlsoaz
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks.

So, I guess the idea is to "follow" them on Verizon and not on twitter.

I had to sign off IE and sign in to the forum on Chrome (I think there may be some issue with java turned off or something?) but then I managed to get the follow button to work on John's page.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you are using IE10, that also be a factor since that version doesn't play well with this community platform.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
jlsoaz
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks, this also was helpful.  I'll try to remember to access Verizon Wireless, in general, from Chrome.

Between their inability to hire a motivated and talented programmer and turn them loose (and get out of their way) to run the website, and, in general, their overall predilection for making it difficult to get good service (and rates) in certain circumstances, I sometimes wonder.  Probably, like many large US organization, they have 17,000,000 people (or so) running around who are really good with MS Office, have MBAs or the like and who can justify their jobs in meetings all day long, but they can't seem to orient themselves to serving the needs of some customers.

0 Likes
jlsoaz
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ok, I have got my phone working (returning to the States tomorrow, but good to know I could get it done).  The answer, for me, was:

- buy a headphone with a microphone to speak, since I left mine at home.

- using Skype and my laptop, call Verizon Global Services Team at:

800-711-8300

- at one point the tech support person thought there might be something wrong with my phone but basically I apparently needed to:

- go to settings->more settings->Mobile Networks->Network Mode

- change from Global to GSM/UMTS to reflect the types of signal available in the country I am in (which I would not have known if the customer service agent were not on the line to match up my country with her knowledge of the signals there)

- next (and this turned out to be important, though for a few minutes I didn't get this right) change something from automatic to manual - this is what allowed the phone to start searching for the local networks and identify one.

- next there were four networks identified and I just chose one and the phone worked.

In the final analysis, the costs to use the phone over here are nose-bleed high, but it would still have been helpful for quick receptions, to call folks back on the office phone, to receive a few important SMS txt messages, etc.

Glad to see Verizon provide me with a second phone that works overseas (I used to have another one but something happened to it) . 

Next, I look forward to Verizon making a better and more appropriate effort to:
- provide better answers to folks trying to use the web and email to communicate in the absence of overseas call capability.

- provide more reasonable overseas dialing and receiving rates.

- provide more reasonable overseas data rates.

0 Likes