Insane data overage, excessive unexplained usage
emanning99
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am a new customer as of 2/2014.  I ported over four lines from ATT.  When on ATT we had the same four phones (1 iPhone 5S and 3 iPhone 5C's).  We traded in our ATT phones and obtained Verizon versions of the same phones.  Our usage patterns have NOT changed in any way whatsoever.  We our mostly at home on WiFi.  I now find myself in the same boat with about a million other Verizon customers who are being charged excessive data overage charges.  I refuse to dumb down my state-of-the-art iPhone 5S to save data!  That being said, I do have cellular data turned off for most apps and am cautious to always be on Wifi when possible when I am away from home, which isn't very often because I work 40 hours per week from home.  I do not even have a commute to work during which I would use data!!!  Can someone PLEASE explain to me how new Apple iPhones (same models as I had on ATT), with NO change in usage patterns WHATSOEVER, would result in being over on data and going through TWO additional blocks already, when my ATT phones barely even touched my data allowance (which, by the way, I have had to almost double at Verizon to avoid going over)??  Each of these lines NEVER went above 2GB of data each when on AT&T.  Now we are lucky to get through a billing cycle only using the 14GB OF DATA I HAVE BEEN FORCED TO UPGRADE TO.   On AT&T we easily stayed under 8GB EVERY SINGLE MONTH.  We have not moved, we do not have new jobs or longer commutes (my kids live literally 1 minute away from school).  I still work at home, rarely am off of WiFi, neither are my kids. THIS IS RIDICULOUS. How can we go from using barely 8 GB to nearly 14GB, just because we switched carriers and nothing else is different?  Even the same phone models!

Has ANYONE had any success with VZW assisting in this issue?

I have read the countless posts on here and everywhere else.  I am headed to file a BBB report. 

Labels (1)
Re: Insane data overage, excessive unexplained usage
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I know that data usage and overages are alarming emanning99. I'm sorry your usage is higher with us than with your previous carrier. We do provide ways to prevent excessive data usage. I know you are using wifi which is great, we also recommend changing settings to update only on wifi instead of randomly. Closing all apps when not being used is a great way to help with data? Are you all downloading games, music, videos, or additional apps? You can private message us which line is using more data than usual so we can address that line individually.

KinquanaH_VZw
follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
emanning99
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have done all of those things, which by the way, I have changed no settings from my prior carrier.  The phone was literally setup from a backup of my AT&T phone.  Carbon copy settings.  Yes I close unused apps, I always have.  NOTHING is different.  Nothing.  And I am not accepting a suggestion to turn off everything that a smartphone is supposed to do in order to curb the false and fraudulently billed data by Verizon. I am literally sitting in the same spot in my house, on the same Wifi, working the same 40 hours per week from my home, where I am on Wifi. I am not downloading anything any differently than I did before.  None of my four lines is doing this.  I gave VZW a few months to get this leveled off (as I was given the "you are new and maybe your phone is downloading new apps" story when I was a new customer).  I have now been a customer for 5 months and NOTHING has changed; as a matter of fact, my bill has gone up EVERY single month with ZERO changes in usage patterns.  If anything, I am using LESS.

As you know, I am not the only person complaining about this.  It is not acceptable to tell me it is something on my end, when I had these exact phones on AT&T and was using nearly HALF the data I am being billed for by Verizon, with ZERO changes in circumstances or usage on my end.  ZERO.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Manning99,

Thanks for the additional insight! We always want your charges to be accurate. Our 4G LTE is up to 10x as fast as most competitors which allows you data to do more. Device activities may remain the same but the data bandwidth is much faster. So you may visit the same sites, the experience is slightly different. The device would experience minimum buffering, downloading in seconds, and uploads may take minutes. You can use our data calculator and input your device activities to see what maybe using the most data http://vz.to/1cRXvFh .

Thanks,
PamelaF_VZW
Tweet us @vzwsupport

0 Likes
emanning99
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you Pamela, and I appreciate your response, but I am not accepting that explanation from VZW (I realize it is not your fault personally).  Maybe some customers would accept that kind of reasoning, but I have been in the tech business long enough to know that this is very false.  My phone should be on fire if your speeds are SO much faster that it is nearly DOUBLING my data usage.  Alas, it is not, and if anything, my data load-time is even worse than when on AT&T. That is not what I am complaining about, however. 

I have used your generic data calculator.  I have turned off cellular updates for the most part.  I am not going to accept a nearly doubled data usage with ZERO change in circumstances or usage habits whatsoever.  VZW charges and inordinate amount of money for this data, then doubles its usage, at which point we are stuck in a contract with high termination fees.  I had no desire to terminate.  I just want reasonable usage reflected!!!!

My BBB report has been made.  I am tired of the runaround.

shellk159

Are you using the new Verizon cloud at all?  I found that when I installed the app to back up pictures and take advantage of the 25GB storage that it really ate through my data (and my battery).  I expected the increase for the initial back up but even without adding any new pictures or files, it ran through almost 25% of my 10 GB plan in one afternoon.  Add to that my phone battery would overheat and not charge properly.  Uninstalled that app and returned to normal.   That was with a Droid RAZR MAXX.  I have since upgraded phones and have not reinstalled the app.

0 Likes
katericks
Enthusiast - Level 3

We are having a similar problem with excessive Verizon data charges.  We are full-time RVers so a reliable internet service is invaluable to us.  We've used Verizon for years and have had no data overage problems in the past.  We signed up for 10 G when we upgraded to a new 89OL Wi-Fi in April, 2014, and signed a new contract.  We did not use it at all for 3 months since we had no Verizon signal where we were staying at that time.  We did, of course, pay for the service during that time although we had cut the data level back to 5G.  Beginning July 1 in a new location, we turned it on, upped the data level to 10G, and between July 1 and July 8th, we supposedly used 75% of our data allowance.   This was basically impossible.  We did no streaming video and no downloads that would account for that level of usage.  At first we thought we had been hacked but even if that is true, there doesn't seem to be any way to change the password on this device and from what I'm reading, the security may well be substandard in today's internet climate.  Now, after reading this forum and other info on the internet, we realize that the problem is most likely not a hacker but a flaw in the Verizon system itself.  Tech support has been absolutely no help and gave no indication they had ever heard of such an issue before.  Yet we are seeing that it is a fairly common problem.

So, we're now stuck with a 2 year contract for a device that we cannot afford to use.  I just paid $30 for a month of tengonet in order to have some internet connection.  Will file complaints with the FCC and the FTC and anyone else I can find.  I am interested in securing data on just how much Verizon is taking in each month in these overage charges that are basically generated by glitches in the Verizon system and devices.

Kate

>>Personal information removed to comply with the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service<<

Edited by:  Verizon Moderator

emanning99
Enthusiast - Level 2

I totally feel your pain... Over the past week I have been hit with FOUR DATA OVERAGES.  FOUR!!!!!!!  I went from normal approximate 6GB of data per month on my lines to nearly 14!!!!!

I am finished fighting with Verizon and receiving their canned responses to what is obviously a HUGE failure on their part to be honest and accept responsibility for whatever issue is going on in their network and their billing practices. 

There is now way that my usage has tripled from when I had the same exact phones on AT&T.  NO way.  And I had the amazing "LTE" on AT&T as well, so telling me that my usage is sky-high because "LTE uses more data" is preposterous.  AT&T didn't have that story!  I am not stupid, Verizon.

Sick of arguing.  Sick of being talked to like a 2-year-old.  I am also ready to go the the FCC, no matter how "little" I am in the sea of US citizens.

If I have to ditch this contract and be hit with cancellation fees then so be it.  But they will never see a dime of it. THAT is how disgusted I am with the continued non-attention paid to my inquiries and concerns.

katericks
Enthusiast - Level 3

There have been several successful class action lawsuits against Verizon in recent years regarding billing and similar issues. You’d think they would have learned something but I guess the settlements of $10 million or so were just a drop in the bucket for them. I think we all need to file complaints with the FCC. There is a form that can be filled out on line and also a phone number to call. http://www.fcc.gov/complaints If they get enough complaints, they will act.

We have gotten some possible help from the tech division. On their advice reset our 89OL W-Fi unit and they supposedly will monitor it for several days. Nothing is connected to it so probably there will be no data recorded. After that, on our own, we’ll try a quick email download to see if that produces an excessive spike. What we’re really looking for now is a way out of this 2 year contract.

Verizon needs some advice from Amazon as to how to handle customers!

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to make sure you get the most out of your device and plans katericks. I know it's important to keep a handle on your data usage. What type of functions are you using your Jetpack? How many devices do you have connected to it? What makes you think the usage is inaccurate? What were the results of your previous interactions with us by phone when you spoke with tech support?

JonathanK_VZW
VZWSupport
Follow Us on Twitter@VZWSupport

0 Likes