Inconsistent and Uninformed Customer Service
AMCARA
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have been arguing with Verizon Wireless since December. My father passed away in November and I closed out his account. I was told that I had to pay the remaining balance on a cell phone he bought for his girlfriend before they would close it out, which totaled $540. His girlfriend was supposed to pay me back but instead gave me the phone back. I spoke with customer service and was assured that if I brought the phone in, I would get my $540 back. Once in the store, I was told the most I could get was $190 in a gift card as a resale value. After going back and forth on the phone (4 times) and in the store (2 times) in one day (while also continuing to ask for his pin number, which strangely enough wasn't in his will); after showing them a death certificate and power of attorney, which is more than his bank asked for from me, I was told they would correct the amount to $540 as a credit on my account and was assured that they would send me a check. Fast forward to a month later, I have received nothing. I reached out to the same representative and found out that they will not send me a check but keep it as a credit on my account, which will pay my bill. My cell phone is a business expense which is a tax write-off, so if anything, the credit is actually UNhelpful. I was told if I closed my account, I would still only get the amount in a gift card for Verizon. I was misinformed at every step of the way and now this multi-billion dollar organization is refusing to allow me to put this money back in my bank account. They are essentially holding it hostage so that I can only ever use it at their store, which after over five years of service, I am strongly considering backing out of- of course, in doing that, I will lose the money entirely. This sort of business is extremely off-putting and I just thought everyone possible should know about this.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
Re: Inconsistent and Uninformed Customer Service
mama23dogs
Legend

I’m so sorry for your loss.  I know this is additional stress at a terrible time.  I’m shocked you got so much wrong information.  Verizon isn’t normally do bad at accurate information.

I was also unable to locate the information on this on the website.

But what I know is....

As a rule, they don’t want phones back after 14 days.  No exceptions.

If it wasn’t paid for in full, it can’t be traded in (owe $540, trade in for $190?  Ridiculous)

When someone passes away, there are options to have the balance on their line forgiven and line canceled. 

If they are the Account owner, the balance is paid for by the estate.  Phones can be used or sold, but they don’t want the used phones back.  A transfer of billing responsibility can be done for remaining lines on the account. 

As for the credit, it shouldnt have been given on your account.  But if your account has a credit balance for several months in a row, you can request a refund check.  It’s a slow process. 

Good luck.  I hope an employee will chime in and contact you.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I send my condolences to you and your family. Let's get to the bottom of this once and for all because I know your time is valuable. Which store location did you visit? Additionally, please reply to my Private Message further assistance. 

AyaniB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
AMCARA
Enthusiast - Level 1

It was very nice for them to reach out. Then, as expected, I never received a reply.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

No private message?  Or no reply ?

0 Likes
AyaniB_VZW
Verizon Employee

I apologize for the delay because I know your time is valuable. I look forward to ensuring your concern is addressed and resolved today.

AyaniB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
KARLOP24
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi! Have you sent me any other messages?

Karen

Post edited for content as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

0 Likes
KARLOP24
Enthusiast - Level 2

Please, PLEASE  be in touch with me my friend...youll be relieved when you do! <<removed>>. I'm putting my email here for you...as Verizon knows it well....considering the crazy back to back emails....my story is VERY SIMILAR to yours, but i have things to share with you! Hope to hear from you!

Karen

<< Content removed to comply with Verizon Wireless Terms of Service >>

0 Likes
AMCARA
Enthusiast - Level 1

As of today, thanks to AyaniB, the credit for my remaining balance was placed on my credit card. I am happy this is resolved but I am not sure that anything will make me forget that this took 3 months of arguing on the phone, online and in stores. This was a huge amount of frustration and stress that I did not need in the immediate aftermath of my father's passing. I hope that Verizon customer service never makes a mistake like this again because no one should have to have their burden made so much worse.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for letting us know that everything updated and the credit was placed on your card. We're very sorry it took so long to get this all sorted out, but we're glad it's settled. Please let us know if there is anything more we can assist with through the forum in the future.

EricW_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes