IRS Identity verification
turismo568
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hey Guys,

I have Verizon Post Paid and I am currently trying to verify my identity using my cell phone number on the IRS website. 

8psnoKj

The disclaimer clearly states that it uses information from my Verizon account to verify who I am so I went into the privacy settings and found this:

rKLRKAk

As you can see, I have it set to allow 3rd party verification yet for some reason it still fails. Also, I have already confirmed that my CNAM is my first and last name as stated on my tax return. 

Can someone please look into my account and see why the IRS 3rd party verification is failing even though I have it set to allow? I have tried to call but the phone reps don't seem to be aware of this privacy setting on the Verizon website so I am hoping to get a tech person who can help.

Thank you

0 Likes
Re: IRS Identity verification
turismo568
Enthusiast - Level 1

Additional screenshot from IRS regarding the verification. It clearly says that Verizon is a participating carrier so there must be someone at Verizon who knows how the verification system works and why it is not working with with my account. 

IRS.PNG

0 Likes
jav6
Champion - Level 3

I just went thru the process of creating an account on the IRS web site.  My account verified without issue using my 10-digit phone number first time.  My Privacy Settings mirror yours.  Maybe an agent troubleshooting can use my account for comparison when researching this issue, and can send me a PM if anything needed.

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for sharing all the information and steps you’ve taken regarding this verification that’s needed, turismo568. You set things correctly, so the issue is not on your end. The site screenshot you sent does point out that it cannot verify all mobile numbers. When you enter the phone number, do you use xxx-xxx-xxxx, 1-xxx-xxx-xxxx, or xxxxxxxxxx? The way you enter it may make all the difference. Also, are you the account owner of record, or an Account Manager on the account containing the cell number?

GeorgeS_VZW

0 Likes
jav6
Champion - Level 3

When I tested, I entered xxxxxxxxxx and verified successfully.  I didn't try with dashes or 1+.

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
0 Likes
preludehc
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hey guys,

This is turismo568 the OP but for some reason it had me create a new user id. I will try to fix that later.....

Now about the IRS issue, I have already tried all variations of entering the phone number and none work. I have also called Experian to add the phone number to the credit file to see if that works. I will wait 72 hours to update on that. Also, the CNAM is my name so no issues there.

As a last resort, I wrote to the IRS Webmaster to see if they could provide technical details or some sort of troubleshooting details which says how the verification works or explains it a bit. Maybe this will help Verizon but I am not sure. I will update with that response as well (Probably will take a while).

Does Verizon not have any internal documentation on this? For troubleshooting? Obviously Verizon does participate in this as it states this on the IRS website and it is a Privacy setting on the Verizon website. It seems a bit odd that when I call Customer Service, they do not even know what the privacy setting is other than selecting agree or don't agree.

Lastly, yes, I am the account owner and the only person listed on my account. 

rcschnoor
Legend

Like @jav6 , I also had no problem registering with my Verizon phone number.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for all those details, preludehc. Please keep us updated on how the site is working since the number was added to the credit report agency. In the meantime, we'll send you a Private Message to go over the situation with your account. ZakC_VZW

0 Likes
robertfolie

I have had the same issue. I (Robert Folie) was able to go through the process without a hitch. My wife (Lisa Folie) was not able to go through with either her mobile # or mine.

Any ideas?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

This is very strange to hear, robertfolie. Let's take a look at what could be causing this. What is the make and model of her phone? Does she have an eSIM activated on her line? How are you inputting the number?

MarshallP_VZW

0 Likes