Re: IPhone Trade In Scam
rcschnoor
Legend

If only the US Supreme Court hadn't ruled that you cannot have a class action suit against a cellular provider as long as they provide other methods to settle disputes, which Verizon does. I am not sure what you mean by "The Apple Cord" issue, but I would guess it was against Apple which is not a cellular provider.

Why you can't sue your wireless carrier in a class action - CNET

0 Likes
slmillerindia
Enthusiast - Level 2

I finally received a phone call yesterday from Verizon and was promised a $100 credit to my account, since I had been promised $200 at trade in and my phone received a value of $100 when I registered to return it. Apparently the Verizon store failed to tell me that you had to complete the online paperwork for the trade in by 10/15. They told me the instructions would come with my phone - which didn't arrive until 10/17.

Hearing the horror stories about phones apparently being damaged in transit (or Verizon declaring them damaged), I took a photo of my phone before I mailed it - to indicate that the screen was NOT cracked and the phone fully charged at time of mailing - and included a copy of the photo in the return envelope. We'll see!

0 Likes
BoCoDad

As was suggested in an earlier post, I contacted the regional manager for my state. I did receive a personal phone call a couple days later, promising that I would be compensated an additional $164 to bring my total rebate to $200.

Prior to that, I had filed complaints with both the BBB and the state Attorney General. I have rescinded both complaints. However - the Attorney General's office called me back and asked that they keep the complaint open (without forwarding to Verizon) as they have had numerous such complaints throughout my state.

0 Likes
anconnell

Thanks, BoCoDad. This is very helpful! Someone also suggested BBB, but I¹ll

do this with Regional Manager first, then BBB. Must be nice to be able to do

whatever you want to do and not have to worry about getting sued. Had no

idea they were singled out as exempt.

ac

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

anconnell wrote:

Must be nice to be able to do

whatever you want to do and not have to worry about getting sued. Had no

idea they were singled out as exempt.

ac

Getting sued and having a class action lawsuit against you are 2 completely different scenarios. Of course you can sue Verizon. For your extra $164 you can file suit in small claims court. The US Supreme Court ruling does not exempt Verizon from being sued. Many still file suit in small claims court and win. I am sure that many individuals also lose there, too. It is all about being prepared and bringing sufficient proof to win your case.

FTJoeFT

Well I guess add me to the list.  Also, the trade-in company and Verizon both claimed the trade-in was being handled by Verizon, sounds like they are really a third party.  The claim is LCD broken and won't power on, escalated.  Phone was perfect when I sent it in in THEIR packaging.  First rep also mentioned there were issues in the warehouse that might have resulted in incorrect power on messages.  I have another one in the works they haven't gotten yet.  So will wait to see if that gets knocked down also before I do the BBB and State Attorney General as well. Now locked in for two more years and basically paid "full" price.  Wonder if I can get out without termination fees based on this bait and switch? 

0 Likes
JornZ13
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just did exactly the same thing and called them today, HOPEFULLY I will have the same result you did. What exactly did you say to them to get it? The site said my iPhone 4S 32g didn't turn on... I know my phone looks and works perfectly. If they tell me I am not receiving the difference I am definitely telling them I am switching to T-Mobile! Wish me luck....

0 Likes
Jylphoenix
Enthusiast - Level 3

To all with you who are dealing with this.  Verizon had done the same thing to me. I was very close in escalating it to the BBB... I found out on October 4th, and it was over a month long ordeal.  They originally gave me $36 and claimed I never deactivated the phone.  total bs....  I tweeted to VZWSupport and complained.  The stores were unable to help because I did the trade in via online... eventually Verizon did give me a $164 credit which basically totals to $200

stay persistent

0 Likes
anconnell

Many thanks to all of you helping those of us who are still ³stranded². It

is much appreciated. Just sad that Verizon¹s not doing the right thing the

first time around.

0 Likes
pipllc

I've had the same problem, I never received the confirmation e-mail.  Here's where it gets really weird.  When I just went to sign in here, they had the first letter of my e-mail address wrong.  I checked and prior to September 20 when I filled out the online form, I was receiving e-mails from Verizon such as billing info and payment info, but I have not since then.  In addition, when we got our iPhone 6's a few weeks ago, we confirmed that e-mail address more than once.  Yet today it's different.  I'm not sure I'm going to even bother with trading them in through Verizon and may try selling them on ebay myself instead.

0 Likes