Re: IDEA - $30 Upgrade Fee Resolution
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

gerancherc, disclosures and keeping you fully informed about the upgrade fee is one of our most important tasks. This is why we provide information on your store receipt and follow up with a mailed confirmation letter 5-7 business days after your sale transaction. Click http://vz.to/Jfdwqo for more information about our upgrade fee.

Lasina_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
bmaleck24
Enthusiast - Level 1

The Iphone should be free its junk. I will never get one again. Had nothing but issues with the Iphone 4S. Would rather pay money for a phone that works to fit my needs. The thing I dont get is I upgraded my phone many times without this charge and you never said anything to me. BTW you are very rude for customer service which is another reason I should consider looking. I have never been treated as sadly as I have been on this board.

0 Likes
Not applicable

I am not Customer Service. I am a customer just like you who tries to assist other customers having phone issues.

I am not trying to be mean to you.

I have used the iphone 4 without any incident for many years, my wife uses the Motorola Droid Razr without any issues, I recently purchased the New android HTC One (LTE) and every phone I have used going back to the old 3 watt bag phones have never not functioned properly. But I am sure issues crop up due to manufacturer defects.

I feel for you.

Verizon changed the rules when you upgrade your device under a subsidy since you are getting a phone that costs almost $800 for $99-$199 at a huge savings. To avoid that $30 fee pay the $800 be contract free and you won't have to feel the way you do.

The choice is yours to always make.

0 Likes
solovyov2000
Enthusiast - Level 1

This is ridiculous, I'm now completely dissatisfied with Verizon. I been with this company for almost a decade now and it seems that this company never runs out of ideas on how to fill up their pockets while emptying mine. Why won't I leave then you ask? Oh, because of it's monopolistic ways that don't let me go anywhere else. This company takes greed to different level and tries to convince its customers that this fee (and among many) is for " being able to improve all fantastic features". The only positive change I seen is the rise of the bill but obviously it's not beneficial to me. So, it makes sense that the company puts themselves first instead of its commodity which is us the customers.

nlayla
Enthusiast - Level 3

I know. I am also dissatisfied with Verizon now.  I was also told that I will lose my unlimited data if I upgraded.  I really do not want to see my data capped out as I've seen it happen on  my brother's phone plan.  My eligible upgrade is 8/15 but my contract end date is 12/2013. Crap! 

nlayla
Enthusiast - Level 3

i agree. I also have been with verizon for nearly a decade and this is how they treat their loyal customers.  I think it might be time to find another carrier that'll treat us the way we want. I do not want to lose my unlimited data and get charged $30.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can also purchase a phone at full retail or with the payment plan and avoid the upgrade fee and keep your unlimited data plan.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
cpastrick
Enthusiast - Level 1

Sadly, Verizon and other wireless companies kinda have us customers in a choke hold. It's not like we can whip our own wireless communications network, so we are forced to endure any "upgrade fees" or whatever they like to call it.

No matter what they label it, it's just another "new" way of collecting revenue and making their stockholders more cash.

It's good ol' business as usual.

Verizon and the others are lucky that most of its customers are folks who really won't put too much thought into it and just pay it. There will be a few angry folks upset, but it's the price they pay for making more cash.

Yes, we can just buy wholesale, but that's like saying if I don't like the price of milk, I can always go and get a cow.

The wireless companies are in the biz to make money. And, yeah, it's frustrating for us consumers, but we are stuck.

I'll likely stay with Verizon until another company better comes along. And they will. Until then, I'll pay the fee. But, please, Verizon, don't insult my intelligence by saying you are charging the fee to pay for "workshops" and "update features" — those are things you do anyway. Treat me and others with some respect.

vtrav
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, the upgrade fee is only $30.00. However, there was never an upgrade fee in the past. Verizon gave you a free phone because then they locked you into a 2 year contract.... on which they made billions of dollars....that is the point. They didn't give you a free phone to be nice. They made money on contracts, not the phones.

I have not upgraded because I just wanted a plain old phone and did not want a smartphone where I would have the additional cost of internet, that I don't use.  After my inital contract ended, Verizon offered me a discount of $50 if I would renew my phone. That was great. I could either get a free phone or a more expensive one and use my $50.00. That had some value to me as a loyal customer.

Now if I upgrade, I'm supposed to pay an upgrade fee? or...pay $100 - $300 for a phone? So now I get nothing. Right now I pay about $65.00 for my phone (using my company discount) and I have no contract. My phone works great. I can go anywhere in the country and the service is fine.  If I upgrade, I am locked into a 2-year contract and pay an upgrade fee for a phone that isn't as good as the one I have, or at least not much better.  If I go to a smartphone, I have the same situation, but now am locked at least a $100 (with tax)..for 2 years.

Here's the breakdown.

If I stay as I am I pay $65.00 a month and have no contract.

If I upgrade to a smart phone, I pay over $100+ a month, plus the one time upgrade fee of $30, plus some part of a new phone which will probably be either the iphone at $99.00... or some other phone which is even more expensive.

That is the point. I have been a customer for my whole life. I am 50 years old..so say since I was in my 20's. I understand Verizon is a company and needs to make money, but how much money do they need to make.

By the way, for those people who wrote that you are getting a really expensive phone for half the price,...You don't think verizion pays $200 for a phone that they sell you for $400 do you????? How much do you think they pay for that Apple 4S that they sell you for $99.00????

There is no loyalty discount from Verizon. There is no loyalty with Verizon..period.

budone
Legend

They pay a heck of a lot more for the iPhones than you realize.

0 Likes