I have no service at all will I be charged an ETF?
Nothappy89
Enthusiast - Level 2

This evening I purchased two galaxy s4S from best buy. I was assured my area had coverage with Verizon. I  was able to get on the network in the city I purchased the phones in, but as soon as I got home I noticed that the phones were unable to connect to the network. I checked the coverage map and it states there is no service for where I live. I even went into the phone settings to check what networks were available in my area and it only listed T-Mobile and at&t. Both phones are unusable and I'm not happy about being lied to. I DO NOT want a large ETF fee for two paperweights basically. Will I be charged a fee for canceling service and returning the devices?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: I have no service at all will I be charged an ETF?
Tidbits
Legend

If you are within your 14 days then your can return your phones. Anything past that you are subject to ETF from Verizon.

View solution in original post

Tidbits
Legend

If you are within your 14 days then your can return your phones. Anything past that you are subject to ETF from Verizon.

B33
Legend

Just for asking what's your Zip Code? let me look over the area

0 Likes
Nothappy89
Enthusiast - Level 2

My zip is 65265. On the phone it says I am on an extended network. I have no clue what that means.

B33
Legend

I had a Look at the Maps and your just north and east of Columbia which is covered pretty good)  but your correct you just outside on the fringe or the Extended network which really only goes just a few miles outside of Columbia) My dad is a Truck Driver and when he went through that area he could not call us what so ever the coverage is very thin around that area.. I think either US Cellular or at&t has a strong hold on that area, with I -70 going through that area coverage should be better..

I would as Tidbits advised take the phones back.. Sorry they didn't work out and it's sad that the Reps led you to believe the coverage was there.. Good Luck b33

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Re-looking again using Sensorly maps it looks like Sprint has some 4G coverage just south of your Town) I would check and see if there is a Sprint Corporate Store or Maybe a US Cellular store in Columbia)  Now as an alternative option you still have Verizon 3G it's not the speeds as 4G but you could if you have a way to use Wi-Fi could use Wi-Fi at your home and if you work in Columbia have the 4G speeds on your phone while working there..

0 Likes
Nothappy89
Enthusiast - Level 2

Unfortunately the phones(one was a gift for a family member) are only pulling 2g speeds and when I tried to place a call it was dropped. I think I'm going to switch to T-Mobile postpaid, I've been a prepaid customer of theirs for over 7 years. Thanks for the suggestion though Smiley Happy

B33
Legend

Your Welcome) have a Good Morning.. b

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm sorry you were unable to get the coverage you needed with our service Nothappy89. I can understand the importance of wanting the best service for your area. We make improvements to our network all the time and would love to have you with our family in the future. We don't like to see customers leave our family but understand the need for the best service for where you live. Thanks to the community for providing the information about the 14day worry free guarantee. They are correct Nothappy89, if you return your devices in good condition within 14days there will be no etf. You only pay for the time you had service active. Please let us know if we can help you with any concerns.

KinquanaH_VZW
Follow us on twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes