I have a question that needs to be answered please !
Frankies24
Enthusiast - Level 1

I want an iPhone 4S. I can buy the iPhone for $200.00 because we can add one more line in the family plan. It would give me a new number and everything. This sounds great but there is one problem. I currently have a Blackberry Bold 9930 but the screen is to small and the apps are poor to be honest. The iPhone 4S retains a palm sized feel but has a bigger screen and as we all know the apps are smooth and fun. The problem is that I have one year left on the two year contract for the BB. The early termination fee is $350.00 and I do not want to spend that much. So is it possible to switch the number I have on my Blackberry to a basic phone? that way I do not need to pay the data fee of $30.00 a month, just the fee for the line being 'active'.

If not, I would still have to pay altogether a rounded up number of $80.00 a month for both the data plans on each smartphone and the line fee for the iPhone. (Most likely dad will cover the line fee for the BB). But his stubbornness has lead me to try and find out if I could somehow avoid the data charge for the BB without terminating the contract. Instead of the Blackberry being 'active' a basic phone could take its place. The manager at a Verizon store told me this could be done, but I'm not sure about that. Please can someone answer this?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: I have a question that needs to be answered please !
justhere2help
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes...you can add a line of serv and get the iphone 4s for the 2 yr contract price....and then put the iphone on your number you already have. Then put a basic phone on the new line of serv. I am not big on adding a line of serv just to get a new phone, BUT, if you consider the new line of serv @ 9.99 plus taxes and surcharges..which prob will be about 14.00/mo and times that by two years....still comes out to less than paying full price for an iphone...its kinda like making payments...just my opinion...and the answer to your question of if it can be done....

View solution in original post

SydneyK
Master - Level 3

Yes, this has been done before. As long as it's a basic phone on a family plan, it should only cost you $10/month for the extra line.

AZSALUKI
Legend

Check on this because I could be wrong, but I think you can add the new line with data fee on the iPhone and then switch lines between the blackberry and iPhone. Then activate a basic phone on the blackberry line and drop the data plan. This way you get to keep your old number (if you want to) on your new iPhone and it should only cost the extra $10/month on the new line (which will now have a basic phone). I'm fairly certain I've seen this done.

SydneyK
Master - Level 3

I think you're right, AZ, about keeping the number. But yes, check to be sure.

Not applicable

With taxes and fees, it will be closer to $14 for the extra line.  Dad is paying for your phone and you're complaining about his stubbornness because he doesn't want to pay for 2 phones and 2 data plans.  Maybe you should pay for your own phones or keep the Blackberry.

0 Likes
justhere2help
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes...you can add a line of serv and get the iphone 4s for the 2 yr contract price....and then put the iphone on your number you already have. Then put a basic phone on the new line of serv. I am not big on adding a line of serv just to get a new phone, BUT, if you consider the new line of serv @ 9.99 plus taxes and surcharges..which prob will be about 14.00/mo and times that by two years....still comes out to less than paying full price for an iphone...its kinda like making payments...just my opinion...and the answer to your question of if it can be done....

Frankies24
Enthusiast - Level 1

Jim, I will actually be paying for the iPhone ($200) itself, as I did the Blackberry. I pay for the data plan fee ($30) a month myself as well as the insurance ($10) a month. Just because I am 19 you assume that? I have a job while going to college. Thanks for your negative comment. As for the others, thank you for your time I really appreciate it ! Now I know what to do 😃

0 Likes