I had excessive usage during an online session on Aug 3rd. How can I find out the website name where the activity occurred?
svevermore

On Aug 3rd, I had a session with nearly 4gb usage. I don't do any streaming video except for the occasional you-tube. I didn't download any software or updates that day.  How can I find out what was going on?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: I had excessive usage during an online session on Aug 3rd. How can I find out the website name where the activity occurred?
AZconfused
Enthusiast - Level 2

Several threads on this. Microsoft nefariously installed 3.5 GB Windows upgrade packages on Aug 3rd. Even if you didn't ask for it, even if you have automatic updates turned OFF on your Windows 7 and 8 machines. For those of us with metered internet connections the GB's are gone. The worst part of it is how many more middle of the night downloads is Microsoft planning?

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: I had excessive usage during an online session on Aug 3rd. How can I find out the website name where the activity occurred?
marve989
Enthusiast - Level 2

It is difficult to find out what used the data exactly but you can at least pull the usage detail time and date of data sent and recieved per line, I am sure if you know an expert they might be able to help you

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

What device is this for? It sounds like you have a MiFi or other internet device for your computer.

Do you currently run Windows 7 or 8.1? If you opted for the free windows 10 upgrade it sounds like it might have downloaded in the background.

If it's for your phone you can look under your settings>data usage and see which app(s) used that much data.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Sounds like the Windows 10 pre upgrade package that many have gotten, right around 4 GB.  it downloaded in the background.

0 Likes
AZconfused
Enthusiast - Level 2

Several threads on this. Microsoft nefariously installed 3.5 GB Windows upgrade packages on Aug 3rd. Even if you didn't ask for it, even if you have automatic updates turned OFF on your Windows 7 and 8 machines. For those of us with metered internet connections the GB's are gone. The worst part of it is how many more middle of the night downloads is Microsoft planning?

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

It's always suggested to turn off any and all downloads when your primary internet access comes from a MiFi, or hotpsot type device. Computers do A LOT of behind the scenes.

0 Likes
svevermore

I try to carefully monitor my intentional downloads. How can I turn off downloads which I don't specifically request? I do plan to move to W10 (currently 8.1 on two machines,) but not for a few months. I am using a secure WiFi on my Samsung Galaxy 4.

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

It would be under your settings. You can use the search for windows update settings. You'd have to set them to your preference.

0 Likes
svevermore

My windows update settings are set to "check" only. What other settings are you referring to and where would I find them?

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Those are the only ones to look at. Other than turning off pops up and other things in your web browser.

0 Likes