I feel like I was victim of bait and switch
Rxwolf
Enthusiast - Level 1

Back in Jan I bought my wife the iphone 5.  We have the  old school 700 share mins and unlimied data plan (verizon cust. for many years).  I was prepared to pay full price for phone to keep the unlimited data.  While at the store (not some mall kiosk) the verizon sales rep. said I could keep the unlimited if I would also bring on a standard phone for $10/month and have the very nice reduced price for iphone 5.  This would be about net 150-200 savings (over 2 years) for me.  I was happy that I could save some money and I had use for extra line.

I asked to make sure this was cool, and I would use the standard phone as gift for my mother.  Again, I was prepared to pay full price for phone to keep unlimited data plan.  This was most important for me.  After spending over two hours at the store, the sales rep and I started to sign the forms on the little computer screen.  He pointed to where "you still have your old plan here" on the receipt.  The old plan is listed on receipt.  I signed and took the phone home.  I verified the monthly charges would be about $10 more per month which is what I expected with extra line of $10/month and no changes to my old plan.

Since I am posting here there clearly is an issue.  The issue is that my plan was changed, without my knowing/understanding.  I have called the phone customer reps to complain about this issue for over two months now.  The second guy was very understanding and even pointed out that it appears the sales rep did not complete the desired and pushed/encouraged to me process correctly (adding extra line, porting number, etc (I did not fully understand process but I was told multiple times by more than one sales rep. this was result in keeping unlimited plan: my ultimate goal.) and seems this was honest mistake.

I can understand mistakes, I make mistakes.  What I don't understand is a how this is not fixed.  I am willing to repay the difference between discounted and full price phone, if verizonwireless will just give me my old plan back.  I offered this each time I called, but no is answer.  How is verizon harmed by me repaying the phone price difference.  The fact that verizon is not willing to do this makes me think this was a sort of bait and switch.

I was directed to look at specific area on receipt and noted by sales rep the no change to "old plan", how am I to "know" that someone can keep the family share 700 mins but then go from unlimited to 2gb of data.  The data section was not even close to where my old plan was listed.  It is kind of like someone buying a car, asking for color blue, signing paperwork where "color: blue" is listed, and car is blue when handed over.  However, after washing the 1st time it turns bright orange.  When returning to complain, the wonderful usedcar salesperson says "oh didn't you see this Code 47 at bottom of receipt, that means we use water based paint, your fault"  Yes, the receipt reflects the product but when sales rep tells you about wonderful option to keep old plan, spends two hours on computer completing task, then points to the receipt and tells you everything worked (I still have old plan with unlimited data), it is what you wanted:your plan has not changed, your bill is what was expected, but then verizon does not want to take the money which it would have gotten without change in plan, well this is starting to smell like bait and switch.

Please help, I just want the old plan back, I am willing to pay.  Why would I ever, knowingly, go from unlimited to 2gb.  Change my plan back.  I don't want to change phone companies.  I feel verizon has best service for me, but being victim of bait and switch does not make me want to stay.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: I feel like I was victim of bait and switch
Not applicable

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/815360

There are many forum posts on your issue. You were not baited and switched.

Each time you say you did not pay full price for the devices you are telling folks why you were losing unlimited data.

At one time signing a contract for 1-2 years with a subsidized phone did not remove unlimited data. However for a few years now ANY TIME YOU GET A SUBSIDIZED DEVICE you lose unlimited data

The exceptions being paying full price or using Verizon's Device Payment Plan.

Again Good Luck

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You did this in January and you waited until October (9-10 months) to ask how to fix it?

Unfortunately plan changes such as these have to be restored within the same 14 days return policy period. After that you are stuck with the change.

Yes, you probably should have stuck to your guns and paid full retail price. That is how you would have been able to keep your unlimited data plan.

It sounds like the rep was attempting to add a line and you could purchase the iPhone 5 on the new line at the subsidized price. The receipt should have reflected this with mention of a new phone number, activation fee, the $10 device line fee and the 2 GB plan for the new line. Then when you got home, you should have been able to activate an old basic phone on that new line and be able to drop the individual 2 GB tiered data plan from the new line. The new iPhone 5 would have been then deactivated and available for you to activate on your own phone number on your Verizon Wireless account and you get to keep the unlimited data plan on your line.

However this doesn't sound like what actually happened. Without knowing more detail, it appears the rep might have used your line's upgrade when you purchased the phone thus forcing the unlimited data plan from your line changing it to the 2 GB individual tiered data plan.

Does your original second line still have the unlimited data plan on it?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Rxwolf, the bait and switch scam is not how we do business. Our goal is to provide you with the best options and recommendations to fit your needs. I'm sorry to hear that you feel like this didn't happen for you. When upgrading to a new device with promotional pricing, you are moved to a current data plan. I apologize that at this time, we will be unable to re-add the Unlimited data plan back to your line as it is no longer offered.

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
DisgustedByVerizon
Enthusiast - Level 2

RXWolf,

I just had the almost EXACT scenario happen to me!  I have been a Verizon customer for over 10 years and had the same plan..the Smartpack 500 with unlimited data.  Last Friday I ordered myself a new phone, and my wife a new iPhone 5.  I proceeded to checkout and nowhere did it mention a new plan.  It still showed the old plan when I logged back into the site on Tuesday.  She activated her phone on Wednesday and by Friday we were getting messages that we were approaching our data limit.  I called to complain, but got the standard line of "there's nothing we can do".  Well, they did do something after I told them I was going to another carrier, but I still didn't get my old plan back. 

NOWHERE on their site was I asked to pick a new plan, so they CLEARLY sneaked it in the details of the Terms and Conditions.  That's shady.

This is classic bait and switch to me.  I'll ride out this contract for now, but will definitely be taking my business elsewhere in the future.

Not applicable

You bought the phone at full price? Did you use the Verizon Device Payment Plan?

If you did not use any of the above options there was no bait and switch. You lose unlimited when you take a subsidized phone. The iPhones can cost up to $850 did you pay $850?

If not you were consumer unaware and you have 14 days inclusive of the day of purchase to return everything and pay a $35 restocking fee per device.

However that unlimited data may not be so easy to get back.

You may have to go to a small claims or superior court with a single right of action to compel Verizon wireless to give it back.

Good Luck

0 Likes
DisgustedByVerizon
Enthusiast - Level 2

Obviously you don't know what you're talking about considering the fact that I bought TWO phones...and only the iPhone affected the plan, which once again they didn't let me know that upon checkout.  This was confirmed by the Verizon Rep who told me that I could keep my old plan if my wife would send back the iPhone 5.  The website didn't prompt me to pick a new plan, or even inform me that I was going to be given a plan where I pay more money for less service.

This should not be happening to customers, which is why I googled "Verizon Bait and Switch" and this topic came up.  I feel that Verizon should be out in the open with any and all changes to your plan before you complete a transaction; just as they are when you are picking out a plan as a new customer.

Not applicable

It is also obvious replying in this thread is difficult since the person you replied to never replied to you. I did.

As I said when you bought the iPhone it was not paid for as full price. A subsidized device purchase cancels the unlimited data. You also stated you bought a new device, was it paid for at full price? Again if it was not you would lose unlimited. Google both of those situations.

I will bet you read the loss of unlimited data.

So it would seem you don't know what you are talking about. Additionally if you purchase on line you will not have an option to save your unlimited.

I have read on the forum at one time you could. In order to insure the unlimited data remains is through a Verizon wireless corporate store. Not a reseller like Best Buy, or Walmart or Wireless Solutions which say they are a reseller.

You should have taken the time to research the purchases BEFORE you made the commitment

Good Luck

0 Likes
DisgustedByVerizon
Enthusiast - Level 2

Then how come I got the HTC One Max for $199, and it retails for around $700, but that phone, with its discounted pricing, did not affect the plan?  I also purchased a new phone for my other line last summer and it did not affect the plan.  Therefore, naturally I would not expect the purchase of the iPhone to alter the plan either, especially when there was no warning that it would.

And I have always purchased online, so that has nothing to do with it either.  I have had the same plan since 2004 and have went through a number of phones since then, all purchased online.

Why am I arguing with someone that doesn't even work for Verizon!?!? 

I know Verizon is not going to give me the unlimited data plan back, since that is how they make their money now, but I just wanted to warn others before they make the same mistake.

0 Likes
Not applicable

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/815360

There are many forum posts on your issue. You were not baited and switched.

Each time you say you did not pay full price for the devices you are telling folks why you were losing unlimited data.

At one time signing a contract for 1-2 years with a subsidized phone did not remove unlimited data. However for a few years now ANY TIME YOU GET A SUBSIDIZED DEVICE you lose unlimited data

The exceptions being paying full price or using Verizon's Device Payment Plan.

Again Good Luck

0 Likes
DisgustedByVerizon
Enthusiast - Level 2

Okay, it's obvious that you're some kind of Verizon Fanboy/gilr, so this is the last post I'm going to make on the subject.

How many times do I have to state the same thing??  I purchased many phones during the past 10 years and none of them changed my plan...including the HTC One Max that I ordered a half hour before the iPhone 5!

If Verizon was an honest company, then a box would pop up saying "By purchasing this phone your plan will change", but it doesn't.  Nothing notifies you.  The only notification we got was 2 days later with a text message saying that 75% of our data for the month ending on April 10th had been used.  Then the kicker was that we both turned off our data connections and used Wifi, but got another message saying that 94% had been used!  When I called they said that it must have been a computer error to send out that text.  Well, that doesn't give me too much confidence in their notification process either.

Also, none of the reps are on the same page.  I heard different things from each one I talked to, and then I get the standard "there's nothing we can do".  But that suddenly changed when I told them I was taking my business elsewhere.  They need to value their long term customers more, since there are other options out there.

Have a good day.

0 Likes