Re: I can't make or take phone calls, but i can message and use data. Has this happened to anyone else? I've gone through three Samsung Galaxy S5's in the past three days, two of which have this problem and one just stopped working all together.
abel8189
Enthusiast - Level 2

@JohnathanK_VZW

Thanks for your interest! As you suggested, I did a reset to factory settings WITHOUT  a system restore. Unfortunately it didn't help any. Again, I put my SIM card into my old phone and it works fine. I'm not an expert on cellular devices, but I think it's safe to say that the Galaxy S5 phone (since this is the third I've gone through) may have a problem with their reception.

So whats the next step?

Thanks for your help,

Abel (Removed)

Private info removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes
Re: I can't make or take phone calls, but i can message and use data. Has this happened to anyone else? I've gone through three Samsung Galaxy S5's in the past three days, two of which have this problem and one just stopped working all together.
wolfpack_matt
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hey all, mine miraculously started working the other day! The only difference I found was that my new phone had FINALLY finished downloading all my apps and updating them. There does still seem to be a rather long lag when making or receiving a call, and I think when you add in how the phone was tied up installing app updates (especially if there was no WiFi connection) that it caused the dialer/receiver to time out.

Thus, if you're still having issues, try connecting your phone to WiFi and let it sit until the 'My Apps' section of Google Play shows that all apps are installed and fully updated, then try to make/receive a call. Note that it may take a while for your phone to start ringing (or for the other person's phone to start ringing), but the call will at least go through (or it does for me). Still an issue I believe Samsung needs to fix, but at least it works! I have made several calls since with no issue (other than the lag).

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Wolfpack_matt!

Woo Hoo! I am so excited to hear that your new device is working properly and that your issue is resolved.

Thanks,
PamelaF_VZW
Tweet us @vzwsupport

0 Likes
peterporpoise
Enthusiast - Level 2

I replaced my phone over the weekend under the 14 day policy, it is working

fine right now.

On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 10:32 AM, Verizon Wireless Customer Support <

0 Likes
Bhudds
Enthusiast - Level 3

@wolfpack_matt  - hi Matt, were there any system updates too or just app updates? it is good that your issue is resolved, but doesn't look like a fix to be honest. Making and receiving calls is a very different function than what apps provide. Hope your issue does not re-occur. I would still recommend that you swap with a new device within 14-day limit, while you have the chance. Just my $0.02. In the meantime, I will continue to seek a fair treatment for myself from Samsung and Verizon peterporpoise

0 Likes
wolfpack_matt
Enthusiast - Level 3

There may have been a system update, but I couldn't tell you for certain at this point. I do believe there was a security policy update that installed, but that happened after I had been successful with calls. Unfortunately I don't have the ability to swap out before the end of the 14-day window at this point due to work/time constraints.

0 Likes
chiarew

Add me to the list of people with the same exact issue.  S5 only a couple of months old, was on Verizon already, upgraded from LG Octane (that never gave me even a split second of trouble).  Worked just fine until yesterday.  Spent over an hour on the phone with Verizon Tier 1 and then Tier 2 support.  Did all the resets, etc, that they could think of. Finally said it must be the phone and are sending a "certified" out today.  I too am not happy about this at all.  My biggest concern is that this may be intrinsic to the S5 and it's not going to matter how many times you replace the phone is replaced.  They need to make this right. 

0 Likes
peterporpoise
Enthusiast - Level 2

I replaced the phone and it is working fine now.

0 Likes
nullveer

Okay, so I did a Google search and that led me to this topic. I am also having the exact same problem.

This started last week. I have had a Galaxy S5 for 2 months now, and like others have said previously it simply stopped making or receiving calls. I like others have said can text and use data, the phone works with the exception of making calls or receiving calls.

I saw Matt's post about updating all his apps and that worked for him, so I tried that but nothing different. I don't want to do a reboot or factory reset, since others have tried and no change. I did the battery pull and restart, I went to a Verizon store and they gave me a new sim card.

I am going to wait it out and hope that it either miraculously fixes itself or a solution is found. As popular as the phone is I fully expect more and more cases of this to come about in the next few months. Please find a solution, this is a growing problem now and it is not the exception.

0 Likes
Moosed_

I have the same issue in Raleigh NC

0 Likes