I can't make or take phone calls, but i can message and use data. Has this happened to anyone else? I've gone through three Samsung Galaxy S5's in the past three days, two of which have this problem and one just stopped working all together.
abel8189
Enthusiast - Level 2

My phone doesn't have any cellular phone functions...but it CAN send text messages and access data. Has this happened to anyone else? I've gone through three Samsung Galaxy S5's in the past three days, the last two have this problem and the first stopped working all together. I've had new sim cards put in, ive done hard resets on the phone, i've rebooted the phone, done battery pulls, and tech support has reset the signal to my phone. Nothing has worked. (I just "upgraded" <- lol.... and my old phone IS turned off.)

Labels (1)
Re: I can't make or take phone calls, but i can message and use data. Has this happened to anyone else? I've gone through three Samsung Galaxy S5's in the past three days, two of which have this problem and one just stopped working all together.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi abel8189! Gosh, what an awful experience you've had with the Galaxy S5. I can't say that I've seen this happen with any other wireless device owner. I'm determined to ensure you get the device you paid for. If your device issue has not yet been resolved, please use these instructions http://vz.to/1gBiqkv to follow my handle. I've already requested you. Thanks!

DionM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

0 Likes
Re: I can't make or take phone calls, but i can message and use data. Has this happened to anyone else? I've gone through three Samsung Galaxy S5's in the past three days, two of which have this problem and one just stopped working all together.
abel8189
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi DionM_VZW

My phone is still having issues taking and making calls... but one thing new that's happened since I spoke to customer support is that every now and then my phone will give off a roaming notification. Right now it says Verizon Wireless, but when I woke up with morning and attempted to place it call it said Roaming. Then it asked if I would like to allow data while roaming. I selected yes, then the roaming notification went away. I was looking through the forum and this guy: DSalkovic might be having the same issues.

I was going to ask as well... I spoke to customer support yesterday and the lady was unable to solve the issue and she opened a ticket (i think is what she called it). Would I be able to track the status of this ticket? Also....I have my old Droid Razr Maxx HD. If I put my SIM card into that to attempt to make phone calls, would that mess with VZW support's investigation?

Thanks for all the help,

Abel

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for all these details abel8189!

That notification is odd. However, since the investigation is open, it would be best to keep that phone active and not activate your Razr until the Ticket is completed. Please power phone off all the way for 30 seconds and then restart to see if the Roaming notifications stop. And keep us posted.

Thank you,
VanessaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
HHonEEy
Enthusiast - Level 1

This is happening to me right now! It just stared today and tech support couldn't figure it out. It's incredibly frustrating since I don't keep a landline. Please let me know if you find anything that works!

0 Likes
abel8189
Enthusiast - Level 2

It just displays the roaming notification periodically. Not too often.

0 Likes
abel8189
Enthusiast - Level 2

Will do HHonEEy. And if yours gets going first, please let me know as well. Just to help you get by: Gmail offers a free phone service. And you can download skype and pay 10 dollars to dial out to any phone from your phone (even though cellular isn't working, it uses data)

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate the insight, Abel. What zip code are you located in? What occurs when you go to make a phone call? What does the person hear when someone calls you?

YosefT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
HHonEEy
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm at the Verizon store now and it seems they are just as confused. I'm in zip code 33545. When I tried to make a call it just says "Dialing" then stops trying b/c it won't connect.  So far I've tried taking out the battery,  Sim card, etc; reset factory settings; changed settings to accept all roaming; changed to LTE network; followed the trouble shooting instructons on Verizon website for this phone - nothing has worked! I just bought this phone a little over 2 weeks ago! Please advise! I work from home and need this phone to work! Thank you!

0 Likes
abel8189
Enthusiast - Level 2

Im in 79707. So to recap my whole case: I upgraded my device using the verizon wireless website. I received my phone and switched my old SIM card from my Droid Razr Maxx HD into the new Galaxy S5. Everything worked fine until the next morning (May 31st) when I woke up and the phone wouldn't turn on. I took the phone to the local Verizon store and they were also unable to turn it on. They issued me a new Galaxy S5 (referred to as phone 2) and switched my SIM card into that one.

With PHONE 2 i was able to make calls and receive calls, along with text and data for approximately four hours. After that, i was unable to use the phone function of the device, but text and data were still functioning. I took PHONE 2 back to the Verizon store where they attempted to hard reset the phone twice, they also installed two new SIM cards at the store. After this they would get the same error, which is the phone just reading "Dialing..." after attempting to make a call. The Verizon associate declared the phone "DOA" and issued me another Galaxy S5 (referred to as PHONE 3).

PHONE 3 worked well, with phone text and data featured intact from when I received it on the after noon of the 31st until approximately 2:30PM on June 1st. I contacted Verizon Tech Support via Gmail phone to attempt the correct the problem. They reset the connection, had me do a battery pull, had me close the "phone" application, and erase the data and catche, then restart the phone. All of which had no effect. My phone is still able to receive texts and use data (even with wifi off) it simply cannot make or take phone calls. all it says is "dialing..." when I attempt to make a call. When other phones call my device it rings once on their end and directs them to voicemail, PHONE 3 does not ring on my end.

I have made sure my old phone is completely powered down.