How to Stop False Data Usage Alerts?
Echidna1

Hello.  I have had a 5G plan for a 4G Verizon MiFi device for several trouble-free years, yet have received incorrect data usage alerts beginning August 27, 2014 (50%), Sept. 2 (75%), Sept 3 (90%) and -- the final one this morning telling me I had exceeded my prorated usage (100%) -- and am unable to get to the bottom of it through Verizon.  What appears to have happened is that a database somewhere ( and no one at Verizon Customer Care seems to know where, nor how to find out),  generates these incorrect e-mail and text alerts.  I also realized that the percentages correspond to usage for a 2 GB plan, not the 5GB I have.  Data usage on MY Verizon reads correctly. Therefore, a database somewhere must believe that I have only a 2 GB plan.  I also discovered an alert e-mail I had missed from August 9, stating I was at 75% usage, four days before my account re-set -- the earliest such alert I received, so these troubles date to August.

A very helpful fellow named Chris (who was really marvelous), in Customer Care, helped me today and tried two things:  1) he suspended my line, then re-connected it and 2) switched me to a 10 GB plan and immediately back to a 5 GB plan, hoping this will end the problem, but of course  I will have no way of knowing if it worked until my bill re-sets on Sept. 14.

We shall see. 

My concern, which I expressed to Kristina in billing, to whom Chris eventually transferred me, is that the same "department" issuing these alerts will also bill me for having exceeded my data and I will have a little battle on my hands.  When I asked Kristina, who was also very nice, if anyone can simply tell me who to contact to find out where the alerts are generated from, she asked one of her supervisors, then came back on the line and told me that the supervisor said for Kristin to transfer me to.......yes......Customer Care -- right back where I started.  Of course, I declined. I also asked Kristina, since she is in billing, what I should do if I receive an incorrect bill for the overages --- the poor girl had no idea.

Verizon certainly puts up "walls" where one is unable to get to the right department to solve what should be a simple problem. "Customer Care" is rather mis-named...

One final note:  On August 20 I needed help from Verizon technical support as I was shut out of the My Verizon account which refused to accept my answer to my security question,  A top-notch woman named Erica got my account unlocked but was never able to determine why it had refused my security question.

Coincidence that both these problems -- the sole ones I have ever had with this account -- began in the same month?  Perhaps not. 

Thank you all in advance for any comments -- and it it would be nice to receive a response here from someone at Verizon....I have spent hours on the phone with them over these two issues.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: How to Stop False Data Usage Alerts?
MLaw

If you can get it to stop, let me know how! I am having the same issue, and started to suspect it was just Verizon trying to extort more money from their customers. After reading about so many people having the same problem, I am convinced that is the case 😕 It is super annoying, and there is no way I am buying more data or anything else from these people:/

0 Likes
AyaniB_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hi MLaw!

I apologize for the confusion! Let's look into this. When did the inaccurate alerts begin? Do you have any Family Base data restrictions setup?

Thanks,

AyaniB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
MLaw

Are you serious!!! Look at all of the calls on this matter in your records and fix it. I am sure at this point that it is another Verizon scam to solicite millions of dollars from it's customers only to have yet another class action lawsuit filed so the lawyers can get rich and the customers screwed.

-

AyaniB_VZW <forums@verizonwireless.com> wrote:

AyaniB_VZW created the discussion

"How to Stop False Data Usage Alerts?"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/1219549#1219549

>

0 Likes
MLaw

I have spent 3 hours in the last 2 weeks trying to get the issue fixed. There have been 3 different tickets sent. Clearly this is just a scam you guys do.

-

AyaniB_VZW <forums@verizonwireless.com> wrote:

AyaniB_VZW created the discussion

"How to Stop False Data Usage Alerts?"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/1219549#1219549

>

0 Likes