How much data will a Roku device use?
OLDTINNER

We are considering purchasing a Roku device.  Will we be charged data usage while using Roku to watch TV?

Thanks in advance

Richard

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Data usage
Weth
Legend

How are you connecting the Roku to the Internet?  If you are connecting through a Verizon Wireless device, you will use cellular data and you will use a lot of it.  I would not recommend using a Roku through a metered cell plan.  It will become expensive fast.  You can use 4 to 9 GB per hour easily.  Roku's are great and I use them, but only through a home internet connection such as a cable modem and your local cable internet service provider that has no caps or caps in excess of 250 GB. 

View solution in original post

Weth
Legend

How are you connecting the Roku to the Internet?  If you are connecting through a Verizon Wireless device, you will use cellular data and you will use a lot of it.  I would not recommend using a Roku through a metered cell plan.  It will become expensive fast.  You can use 4 to 9 GB per hour easily.  Roku's are great and I use them, but only through a home internet connection such as a cable modem and your local cable internet service provider that has no caps or caps in excess of 250 GB. 

OLDTINNER

Thanks for the quick response. Your answer is what I suspected.  Yes we are full wireless here including including Verizon wireless TV.  I guess I'll have to figure out another way to do this.

Thanks again, your answer was helpful.

Richard

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Best to find another ISP if you plan to do any streaming what so ever. Despite what the marketing on the wireless network says otherwise Smiley Happy.

rcschnoor
Legend

OLDTINNER wrote:

Thanks for the quick response. Your answer is what I suspected. Yes we are full wireless here including including Verizon wireless TV. I guess I'll have to figure out another way to do this.

Thanks again, your answer was helpful.

Richard

Verizon Wireless TV? I wasn't aware that Verizon Wireless offered a TV service. I know that Verizon Fios has TV service. Is it possible THAT is what you mean? If you have Verizon Fios TV, do you also have Fios Internet? That internet connection would not count against your wireless data allowance.

0 Likes