How does a large company like Verizon think they can treat their customers this way?
Theyliedagain
Enthusiast - Level 2

One of the basic phones on my account was lost.  I called to see if there was an upgrade available.  They said that the only one available was on a different phone which was a smart phone. I was told I could transfer the upgrade to the basic phone.  Twice, I asked for verification that this would have no impact on the smart phone nor on the data package.  I was VERY adamant that if it would affect the smart phone or data plan in any way, I would just pay for the basic phone replacement outright without upgrade pricing.  Since I was assured that my plan would not change, I went on a mission to find the appropriate basic phone replacement.  I started out at a Verizon store where they again assured me that I would not affect my plan in any way - the upgrade would just transfer.  They did not have the phone I wanted in stock but suggested that I check at the other vendors to see if it was readily available.  The phone was for someone who was leaving town in 24 hours and I needed it right away.  I located one at Walmart and it happened to be a $.97 phone with upgrade or $39.99 without upgrade.  Since I had multiple assurances from different Verizon direct sources, I purchased the phone st $.97.  Now, my nightmare begins.  Walmart is no longer able to call  for upgrades, they have to register with a chat line and wait for someone to respond.  After 45 minutes of waiting for the chat to respond, I called from my own phone directly to Verizon for the upgrade assistance.  AGAIN, I was assured that the transfer from smart phone to basic phone would not alter the smart phone plan in any way and they proceeded to assist the basic phone upgrade.  Of course, they had to shut down the smart phone, transfer the upgrade, and then restore the smart phone in order to activate the basic phone.  It took an additional 45 minutes to complete the activation - WAY longer than I had anticipated but it was done.  Both phones were up and running and I had accomplished what I needed to get done.  Ten days later, I went on My Verizon and I noticed that the data plan for the smart phone was only 1 GB.  I immediately called and received assistance from a very nice customer service rep who recognized the problem right away and gave me the steps they would need to take in order to correct the problem.  Once again, I was assured that the data plan would remain at unlimited.  She was concerned that the data usage would overrun the 1GB and upped the plan to 6GB so that I would not unwittingly incur overage expense while I was waiting for the correction to be done on my account.  So very thoughtful!   However, they had to send it to the correct department to have the unlimited data returned.  I would receive a call in 48 hours to verify that all was fine.  Meanwhile, I got extremely ill and did not get back to them until 2 weeks later.  Of course, NO ONE FROM VERIZON EVER returned the 48 hour call.  After waiting a half hour for assistance, a message came on that the service center was closed for the evening and gave me the hours of operation so that I could return the call.  Annoying, but it was late at night.  Got up early the next morning to call at 6:30 AM and all hell broke loose.  I calmly explained my dilemma.  They said they understood and they would check my plan for verification.  She came back and said that I was wrong that I still had the unlimited plan but it was on a different phone line now.  UMMM, no, that phone always also had unlimited data, and reiterated the correct phone number to check.  She verified that the correct phone indeed was at 6 GB (as previously mentioned in this post) and since unlimited was no longer available, I could not add it arbitrarily to another line.  Again, I explained that I already had the unlimited data and that Verizon arbitrarily withdrew it.  I was assured it would not change and was told that someone from some unseen higher department was supposedly correcting the problem.  "Oh, now I get it!", she says.  She would be glad to lower my phone bill by reviewing my entire plan and changing it to a lower monthly fee!  WHAT, how do we go from incorrectly recorded data plan to revamping my entire plan so that I could lower my monthly fees?  Then she tells me that they had appealed the data plan change and it was denied?  What did I expect?  I had upgraded my smart phone.  HUH? What appeal, are there copies, was it correctly identified for approval, how did we get to this point?  I requested a manager.  This devil in disguise tells me they can do what they want because I signed a contract that upgraded my smart phone!  NO, I did not!  It clearly stated the basic phone number!  A few more unprofessional barbs from her and again I ask for management as well as the procedure and phone number for the Utilities commission or whomever I would register a complaint with.  She tells me that she has no idea what I am talking about.  She would google it for me.  However, if I would just let her adjust my plan, I could lower my monthly bill.  Not once did I ever complain about my monthly bill!  (Although I should at $300 a month).  I asked if she was refusing to help me register my complaint.  She told me I was refusing her help to lower my bill!  NOW it becomes a shouting match.  She finally agrees to escalate this to an additional appeal but don't expect anything because they won't approve it.  Someone will get back in touch with me in 24 hours.  I'm at 48 hours plus and no return call.  However, thank you for being a satisfied customer since 1995!  BBB and FCC are next on my list.  You can also be sure that I am researching alternative companies for my next loyal 20 years.  I don't understand how they can say or do what they want and get away with it.  This is at least the third time they have given me assurances of service and it never came through or they basically told me to pound salt, they can do what they want.  It is a shame that I have to change companies because I can no longer tolerate their lies and deceit.  Verizon coverage is undeniably the largest by far, but I am sure I will be able to find service with other companies that will do just fine.  PS!  After all of this, that darned lost basic phone was found!

Subject was edited by: Verizon Moderator<<>>

Labels (1)
Re: How does a large company like Verizon think they can treat their customers this way?
Angryphone
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am to the point that my next call will be to the BBB as well.   Like you I was given information, in my case regarding porting my number, that now no one wants to backup.  I am starting to believe that all they care about is this quarters new sign ups / contracts and will say whatever it takes to get them.   I had not thought of the FCC as another avenue to look at I was going to see if the states attorney's office could offer me some information or point me in the right direction if they could not.   Please post any information the BBB shares with you.

0 Likes
Re: How does a large company like Verizon think they can treat their customers this way?
Theyliedagain
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have received notices from BBB and FCC that they are contacting Verizon concerning my complaint. I received a phone call from Verizon Customer Care last night to see if this could be resolved. They had received the complaint from BBB and that was what had prompted his call. The gentleman was very nice but I am not optimistic. He will see what he can do and contact me again in 2 days. Funny, now that the Federal and State is involved, they are trying to jump through hoops to appease me. Moral of the story! COMPLAIN OUTSIDE OF VERIZON!

Not applicable

I might actually read about your issue if

A) it was shorter

B) you used this new invention called PARAGRAPHS.

pherson
Champion - Level 1

AMen

0 Likes
Theyliedagain
Enthusiast - Level 2

Today, my FCC complaint hit the same person working on the BBB complaint.  Jimmie has been very nice and seems willing to work with this problem.  We have been able to come to an agreement.  I paid the purchase price for the phone and he returned my upgrade and unlimited data plan.  This is what would have occurred if Verizon had given me correct information to begin with.  I am happy with this result.  He also brought quite a few instances concerning the handling of my transfer and upgrade that did not follow proper procedure.  I am also confident that I would not have resolved this without complaining to BBB and or FCC.  Verizon had no interest in solving the problem nor did they show any propensity to keeping a 20 year client.  Even though this last CSR was very polite and helpful, his sole job is to respond to formal Federal and State complaints.  He is required by law to address every complaint and report the reporting agency the agreed upon results - good or bad.  Again, I suggest - If you are not getting the proper customer service, complain to someone outside of Verizon.  Jimmie had not received any complaints registered with Verizon directly and I still have not had any contact with any other management representative that I was told would call.

0 Likes
Theyliedagain
Enthusiast - Level 2

If you were not going to read the complaint, then why address it at all?  It's laziness like this that creates most of the problems in our society.  Your apathy is readily apparent.  Your response is designed to incite rather than help, mrhelper.  This is a "Community Forum", sir.  Community suggests cohesiveness and helpfulness.  You have shown neither.

I do, however, wish you a Merry Christmas!

0 Likes
Theyliedagain
Enthusiast - Level 2

Angryphone:

I have responded to my original post.  Please see below.  I hope you can also resolve your problem with Verizon.  Perseverance does help!

Merry Christmas!

0 Likes
Not applicable

Theyliedagain wrote:

If you were not going to read the complaint, then why address it at all?  It's laziness like this that creates most of the problems in our society.  Your apathy is readily apparent.  Your response is designed to incite rather than help, mrhelper.  This is a "Community Forum", sir.  Community suggests cohesiveness and helpfulness.  You have shown neither.

I do, however, wish you a Merry Christmas!

Laziness? Not using paragraphs and keeping a topic succinct is being lazy. Not all of us have prefect eyesight. Your post is very hard to read. why make it hard for people that want to help you to do so? You;re lucky I did say something because next time you might get more help if you take my advise. I'm not the only one that saw what you wrote and thought "Forget this I'm not bothering reading this". Seriously you can't express your problem without writing 'War and Peace'?