How do I upgrade and keep unlimited data?
BigPanda

I am planning to upgrade to a iPhone 5s from a 4s and got some questions regarding the unlimited data plan loophole. I have two lines on a family shared plan. Line 1 has unlimited data and Line 2 is on a tiered data plan. Both lines are eligible for an upgrade. Is it possible for Line 2 to use Line 1's upgrade instead of its own to get the upgrade and extend Line 1's contract? Would this still remove the unlimited data plan on Line 1? I don't want to use Line 2's upgrade because I am planning to cancel the line when the contract is due at the end of the year. Also, will my unlimited data become 4G if I manage to keep the plan? Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Upgrading and Keeping Unlimited Data
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you use the Line 1's upgrade for any reason even if you transfer the upgrade to Line 2, the contract is extended on Line 1 and the unlimited data plan of Line 1 is forfeit. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you use the Line 1's upgrade for any reason even if you transfer the upgrade to Line 2, the contract is extended on Line 1 and the unlimited data plan of Line 1 is forfeit. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

BigPanda, I like to hear about master plans! When upgrading to a new device with promotional pricing on line 2, the contract will be extended for that line 2. You may activate that device on line 1 and keep the Unlimited Data plan. If you cancel line 2 before the contract expires, you will be billed an Early Termination Fee.

LasinaH_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
BigPanda

I am now thinking of just upgrading on Line 2 and then switching the phone over to Line 1 so I can keep the Unlimited Data plan on it. However, after signing the new contract on Line 2, can I change it to a Home Phone Connect line and drop the tiered data plan on it? Will I have to return the phone first or anything? Do I have to have a Shared Everything plan, or will it work with my shared minutes? Thanks!

0 Likes
Lmaddox07

I was informed a long time ago. If you want ot keep your unlimited data and upgrade. Go purchase a phone off craigslist from someone. Have them meet you at the store hook it up and you can still keep your service. No $30 upgrade or loss of data and paying for only 2gb.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello BigPanda
I would be happy to answer any questions! Yes that plan would work. If you already had the home phone connect equipment. You would have to drop the tiered data. You wouldn't be required to use Share Everything or return the smart phone.

JoeL_VZW

Please follow us on twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
Heartofsecrets

hey I was wondering if I would lose my unlimited data? I am eligible for an upgrade but I don't want to lose my unlimited data if I upgrade. I currently have a iphone 4 and im wanting to switch to a Nokia Icon

0 Likes