Re: Receiving a Harassment / unsolicited calls With Number Identified
deloused
Master - Level 3

The FTC maintains the DNC list, and has even been successful in prosecuting telemarketing companies that violate it, mostly when it's clear where the call is coming from, like if I'm on the list and still get calls that are clearly from a specific company trying to sell me something, or committ fraud and when it's originating from a particular business, compared to unwanted calls from an individual. 

Since you like the FTC website so much did you read on there some of the options they list on their website for situations like yours?-

1) If you get repeated illegal calls from one particular number, contact your phone company and ask to block that number.

2) If you get unwanted calls from many different numbers, look into a call blocking solution.

3) The National Do Not Call Registry gives you a choice about whether to receive telemarketing calls. Most telemarketers should not call your number. If they do, you can file a complaint at this Website*

Those are the offenses that the FTC directly investigates and attempts o prosecute so if the phantom/silent/Hangup was a sales pitch they'd be all over that, but not the phone company as explained on their site.

If a random individual is calling someone repeatedly to harass, bother, or commit fraud that could be criminal, but would not be a DNC violation since they are not an organization and cannot access the list.

rcschnoor
Legend

JayExcell435819 wrote:

For several months now I have received telephone calls with the caller ID identified as a local number The number with the same area code and first three digits as mine). As always, I wait for the caller to hang up and then I immediately call them back.

Maybe I am missing something here. If you, AS ALWAYS, never answer the calls, how do you know they are telemarketers trying to sell you something or as you allege, commit fraud? First of all, having your number show as something OTHER than what it actually should be IS NOT considered fraud by either the FTC OR FCC. Fraud is trying to sell you something other than what they claim to be selling you. Since you don't answer the calls, AS ALWAYS, you would never know if they were committing fraud.

2nd, are you aware that SOME calls are exempt from the DNC list???? Political calls are exempt. Charitable calls are exempt. Debt collection calls are exempt. Informational calls are exempt. Telephone survey calls are exempt.

So EVEN if you were to stop ALL calls regarding SALES, which is what the DNC registry is supposed to do, you could STILL be getting MANY calls for other reasons. IF you fail to answer these calls, as you say in your original post, you will never know if this is the case. Something to keep in mind...

From the DNC website:

If I register my number, will ALL unwanted calls stop?

No, the Do Not Call Registry prohibits sales calls. You still may receive political calls, charitable calls, debt collection calls, informational calls, and telephone survey calls.

In addition, companies may still call if you’ve recently done business with the company, or if you’ve given the company written permission to call you. However, if you ask a company not to call you again, it must honor your request. Record the date of your request.

Vznsks

Actually there is a lot Verizon Tech can do to help there may be a financial reason they refuse that option. That they would charge customers to prevent illegal activity is disgraceful. The calls can and need to be stopped at the origination. The volumn of calls made from particular numbers would certainly alert Verizon of a llikely offender. The use of invalid numbers can be halted. Offering to block 5 numbers free is nice and would work for specific scenerios (i.e.- a harrassing ex) but because of robo calling, number spoofing and other methods used by offenders this does NOTHING to help those of us that are getting between 10-20 calls A DAY. 

The question of the day is what is Verizon doing to help it's customers with this serious problem.

0 Likes
Vznsks

Well said Jay

0 Likes
Vznsks

Jay,

It begs one to ponder what the financial gain is for Verizon to not take action on this illegal activity. That is the only explaination for why they refuse to help their customers. I suspect the first cell provider to put customers first and help with this terrible problem will pull many current customers to their carrier.  I have been with Verizon for over 30 years. I feel that makes me a pretty loyal customer. My bill is approx. $300.00  a month. I would hope that would be enough for Verizon to care enough to do something. The idea of charging me MORE to fix illegal activity seems crazy.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Vznsks, we never want any of our valuable customers to be harassed by unwanted calls. We are here to help. 

We do offer an app called Call Filtering that has helped many customers avoid unwanted callers https://www.verizonwireless.com/solutions-and-services/call-filter/ 

However, the issue with calls from Spoofed numbers is a completely different issue that the FCC is trying to address for all consumers. At this time there is not a way to prevent those calls, since the calls basically trick phone systems into delivering the calls before the number is provided as to where the calls come from.

This is how VoIP technology services work, and since Spoofed calls are coming from an internet based source like a computer system or an app, there currently is no way to stop them from connecting.

It is suggested to make a complaint with the FCC regarding this issue. The more complaints they get the sooner they can present something to help all providers deal with this rising industry that affects all phone service providers https://www.fcc.gov/about-fcc/fcc-initiatives/fccs-push-combat-robocalls-spoofing 

StevenG_VZW

0 Likes
pmichealh

This doesn't happen in other countries where callers are charged per call and their subscriptions costs are much less.

I would have no problem with Verizon charging $0.05 per call to me. They can pocket the nickel for the billing costs. I can't think of anyone who legitimately calls me having a problem paying, but the robo-caller that calls every day might not want to pay for those hundreds of calls per day.

Make it optional for people. I'm in. Problem solved...

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm sorry you're not happy with our call filter feature option pmichealh. We appreciate the feedback and this is our only option at this time to help with robo calls, spam, and solicitors. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns. We are always here to help. 

KinquanaH_VZW

0 Likes