How do I get Verizon to investigate a phone call I got?
V3user
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've gotten the same phone call twice now. Someone is trying to contact an individual to serve her with legal papers, and they have my phone number by mistake. The only phone number given in the call is for the plaintiff in the court case, and I don't feel comfortable calling whoever that is. The call comes up as Unavailable and there is no info about it in my MyVerizon call log other than the date and time of the call. I'd like to know where the call came from so I can let them know they have the wrong number, and make sure I don't get charged with obstructing justice or something worse.  I spoke with a CR Representative, but he had no idea how to put in an inquiry about the call.  Is there a different department at Verizon that I need to contact to get this call looked into?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: How do I get Verizon to investigate a phone call I got?
Not applicable

Alert...! More than likely it is a scam call or bill collector. Real attorney calls don't leave messages on phones saying they are trying to serve you. Go to the myverizon site, enter the number as a blocked number and it will be blocked for 90 days.

Verizon Wireless is fully aware of these telemarketing and other scammers that call and annoy you. They get money for the call coming on their network and they get money from you to answer the call and they also make more money by selling you blocking services at $5 per month per line. Don't fall for it.

Check the number at google http://www.google.com put the area code and full phone number in the search line. Read the results. You may be surprised.

And the Verizon customer service person lied to you. They can put in blocks just by calling them.

Good Luck

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

I agree with Elector. Do not follow up on this, except to block the number through My Verizon. You have no responsibility in this situation, so do not worry.

A few months ago, I had an official-sounding voice mail similar to this. The caller even left a "case number" for me to refer to. I immediately did a search on the number and found it was a common scam; they weren't even smart enough to not use the same number each time.

V3user
Enthusiast - Level 3

I don't have the number the call came from, so I can't block it. I was hoping Verizon could investigate the call and provide me with the number.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Verizon will not release the number, it is blocked for a reason. Talk about opening themselves up to a lawsuit

0 Likes
Not applicable

Yep like I said Verizon would be happy to sell you usage controls to block unknown numbers. You could go to a legal supply store and pick up a blank subpoena form, fill out Verizons address to their legal affairs office go to a local judges chamber and have him/her sign it. You then send certified return receipt requested to Verizon Legal Affairs Office the laws in some states allow you to fax this document or you can overnight it at your expense via FedEx or UPS.

Verizon will send the name and address of the numbers owner. To your address from the subpoena.

You can also file a police report and have them contact Verizon to get the number as a police complaint. The police will not give the number to you but will go after them as a criminal telephone harassment charge.

Good Luck

0 Likes