How can I stop connecting to my neighbor's network extender?
betsyBee

I live in an apartment building and recently someone has moved in with a network extender. My phone has started auto connecting to it when I'm at home and my service has become extremely poor. When my calls are picked up using the network extender they will drop within a few seconds and I can basically no longer make or receive phone calls in my own apartment. This is extremely frustrating. I just want to keep my phone from connecting to this stupid network extender so it will work again! Help!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: How can I stop connecting to my neighbor's network extender?
Snn5
Legend

You shouldn't connect without dialing #48.  Advanced Calling will stop your phone from connecting if your phone has that ability.  However, you cannot stop the connection otherwise.  You will have to find that person and ask them to call Verizon to turn down the transmission power.

0 Likes
betsyBee

Thanks for the tips! Dialing #48 only tells me that I'm connected to the network extender. It doesn't give me the option to connect or disconnect.

I'll look into Advanced Calling. Right now I'm not seeing anything in the promotional material that indicates an ability to block this type of connection.

I've already tried the knock-on-everyone's-door approach. No one seems to want to admit to having one of these things or maybe they don't realize they have one. I think the range for these network extenders is much greater than Verizon indicates. I can walk around a good portion of my complex without ever disconnecting from this thing.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

True.  My brief experience owning one was not great.  Verizon can turn the power up or down, but only at the owner's behest.  These things should be relegated to rural homeowners with no neighbors.  But, I'm sure some would disagree.  When 4G extenders come out and are more prevalent, I'm sure this won't be an issue for most, but the current extenders are 3G only and cause strife.

0 Likes
betsyBee

Verizon attempted to decrease the range of my neighbor's device, but I'm still connecting to when I'm inside or in the immediate vicinity of my apartment. The range for these things is definitely greater than 15 feet. When I spoke with them again they informed me that my only options were to a) locate the neighbor and ask them to block access or b) buy my own network extender for the low, low price of $249.99 in an attempt to counteract the neighbor's extender. Seriously.

0 Likes
dc93gt

I'm having this same problem.  I live in a big apartment building so there's little chance of identifying the neighbor. Without some fix from Verizon on the network or on my phone, it's impossible to use my phone at home at all.

0 Likes
betsyBee

I know, this is so incredibly frustrating!

I spoke with the Solutions Manager at my local Verizon store and he suggested activating Advanced Calling (Settings > Advanced Calling > Activate Advanced Calling) and switching the Network Mode to LTE/CDM (Settings > More networks > Mobile networks > Network mode). These fixes didn't end up working for me, but if Advanced Calling is free under your plan you might try them and see if they work for you.

My other suggestion is to speak with your apartment management and ask for their assistance in identifying the neighbor. Mine has been surprisingly helpful and even emailed everyone in my immediate vicinity to ask if anyone was using one of these (so far no one has admitted to this).

0 Likes