Re: How can I opt out of the broadcast UID Verizon has been putting in all of my web traffic, austensibly to track me despite opting out of targetted advertising?
asimons04
Enthusiast - Level 3

If they were a less scummy company, they'd disable the whole UID program until they start to actually honor the opt-outs.

0 Likes
Re: How can I opt out of the broadcast UID Verizon has been putting in all of my web traffic, austensibly to track me despite opting out of targetted advertising?
nomoretrackingplease
Enthusiast - Level 2

Around a week ago, the X-UID super cookie tracker was gone, but it is back today.

I've always opted out of everything except Verizon's Wireless service.

I've got both wireless and AT&T iPhones which are not being tracked this way.

Anyone successful in getting this removed without having to use a proxy or VPN?

Screenshot_2015-02-07-14-37-20.png

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Google Privacy Badger and Protect My Choices.  Great for Chrome.

0 Likes
nomoretrackingplease
Enthusiast - Level 2

You say:

"when a customer opts out of Relevant Mobile Advertising via their privacy choices, while they may still see the UIDH, there is NO information associated with the ID and therefore, no ability to use it for advertising purposes."

This is completely false.

Whenever you build in any unique ID, someone will figure out a way to use it whether Verizon uses it or not.

Zombie cookies: How Verizon Wireless’s ‘supercookies’ make it even harder to avoid being tracked onl...

From the Washington Post article linked above: "According to research by Jonathan Mayer, a Stanford graduate student and privacy expert, Turn uses Verizon's identifier as a signal to "re-spawn" or bring back traditional cookies that customers have taken steps to remove. That conclusion was confirmed by ProPublica.

Turn's general counsel and chief privacy officer, Max Ochoa, confirmed Mayer's analysis of how its program worked in an interview with The Post.  In a blog post, Ochoa defended the company's practices, arguing that clearing cookies does not necessarily indicate that users did not want to be tracked."

Way to wreck any positive Verizon Brand opinions I and many others might have had.  All that money you've spent on advertising is burned by your real world decisions and positions against consumers.

nomoretrackingplease
Enthusiast - Level 2

I didn't find either Google Privacy Badger or Protect My Choices in the Android / Google Play store.

Turns out they are plug-ins for either Firefox or Chrome.

Have Google Privacy Badger in Firefox.   Looks like Protect My Choices is only available for Chrome.

Thanks!

dnbdave
Enthusiast - Level 2

I keep calling customer service every few days to ask when they'll cease and desist the UIDH insertion. Every time the rep has no idea what I'm talking about which is kind of sad. Turning this off shouldn't take this long. I've sent off complaints to the FCC/FTC as well. We'll see if they get their butts in gear and fix this before I switch to another carrier.

nomoretrackingplease
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sweet!

And shocking, given Verizon's typical treatment of customers--

As of last night, at least on the Central Coast of California, no more x-uidh tracking!

Both these sites say the super cookie is gone.  I've checked with others here who have Verizon and their super cookie tracker is gone also.

Simple test page for Cellular ISP tracking beacons - by Kenn White

Am I being tracked? - AccessNow.org

To everyone who called, complained, sent letters, notes, emails, etc. to the FTC, BBB and others:

THANKS SO MUCH!!

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Mine is.

0 Likes
asimons04
Enthusiast - Level 3

Still have the tracking header in WV.

I'm caring less and less each day.  Not because I'm letting Verizon off the hook in any way, I'm just sick of their "We can do what we want" attitude.  The $70 I pay them each month apparently isn't good enough, so they have to sell me out to advertisers without my consent so they can squeeze a few more dollars out of me.  My Droid Maxx works with an AT&T-compatible NET10 SIM, and I''ve been test-driving that for the last few days to great success.  When my next cycle starts in about a week, my ETF will be down to $300.  Verizon is losing out on $1125 even after I pay the $300 left on my ETF.  It's very much their loss because all they had to do was respect my privacy options and they'd be receiving my money for years to come.  But that's too much of a non-scumbag thing for them to do, and now it's going to cost them money.  So, I will gladly pay their ETF if that grants me freedom from this.  As a bonus, I get 3 GB of data vs the 2 GB I get with Verizon and I'll pay $16 less each month.  It's HSPA+ data vs LTE, but that's good enough for me, and I won't have to deal with Verizon's BS anymore.

Profanity removed as required by the

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes
dnbdave
Enthusiast - Level 2

"Reply to nomoretrackingplease"

"Sorry, but you are not authorized to reply to this discussion."

Nice try.

Well I'll be baconed... a quick check on both tablet and phone over 4G shows no tracking now.

Verizon did something that wasn't evil? Stop me right there I must be dreaming. I look forward to your response to my FCC/FTC complaints still, but moreso you made a choice to discount your customers privacy and it was the wrong one. I've already ordered a OnePlus One handset which will be here Monday (wow what a great phone which YOU still don't support). I've already put the deposit down on my T-M**** SIM with UNLIMITED 4G for $80 a month (their service is excellent here). You have lost my business after 8 years of loyal, reliable on-time monthly payments.

Don't treat your customers like they're there to be monetized. In the current wireless price war climate they're just likely to go elsewhere. Oh, and congrats on the net neutrality lawsuits you foolishly pursued blowing up in your face and fueling the support for Title II. I look forward to watching you squirm to adapt.

-A former customer