How and why would insurance coverage be dropped from my plan?
Stabone817
Enthusiast - Level 1

Wife had issue with phone that the insurance plan we signed up and paid for but upon going to a store they said we do not have coverage.  What have I been paying for I am ready to get lawyers and take Verizon to court for this horrible business, we have always expressed a great desire to be on insurance for both our phones in our plan.  Now Verizon is trying to pull this BS, very frustrating and poor way to conduct business especially when it is a very competitive market.

Labels (1)
Re: How and why would insurance coverage be dropped from my plan?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello Stabone817,

I would be happy to discuss your insurance. I know it can be extremely frustrating and upsetting to find that you do not have insurance when you thought that you did.

Perhaps there is some confusion regarding your insurance. While Verizon offers insurance through our partner Asurion, some of our indirect stores offer their own phone insurance separately. If you upgraded at an indirect location, you may have purchased insurance directly through a program at that store, rather than with Verizon. If this is the case, we would not have a record of it.

If you upgraded at a store, you can locate the store and the contact info here http://vz.to/1l7u4mz , and contact them directly to find out if that is where your insurance subscription is.

Thank you,
MichelleH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Jiminraleigh
Contributor - Level 2

After you get through this, please consider check ing  with your homeowner insurance company. Some cover loss or damage to your electronic equipment...including cellphones and related. Chances are they will be much better.

0 Likes
Patience_Gone
Contributor - Level 3

Verizon's insurance is Asurion.  You can call them and they will tell you when the insurance started and stopped or if you ever had it on that line. Asurion's number is  888-881-2622. 

If you HAD Verizon's insurance and you now don't it sometimes falls off when you make a change to your account. Hopefully you notice it and get it corrected before you have a claim. 

You can also lose Verizon/Asurion insurance If you have multiple claims in 12 months.  With 2 claims your insurance can be cancelled on the line with the multiple claims.  Asurion only allows you to have 2 claims for replacement in 12 months. 

Verizon only allows you to add insurance during open enrollment or up to a certain time after you first activate a phone. 

To get insurance on the line outside of the open enrollment period you have to remove the phone and then activate a new phone on the line, and then add the insurance then. 

If like the Verizon rep suggested and you purchased your phone from one of their partners like Radio Shack, Best Buy, or Wirefly they offer their own insurance and bill you separately-- like an autodraft from your bank account. 

You may still have insurance even though it is not with Verizon/Asurion.  You just need to find out with which company. Check your bank statements, or the company you purchased the phone from.  I know that the Wirefly insurance has no deductible, but the moment you file one claim it is cancelled and you can't add it back on.  

0 Likes
Patience_Gone
Contributor - Level 3

You probably do not want to use your homeowners insurance for a claim like this, unless its your last option. 

Any claim you file goes against your homeowners insurance will increase your rates or may even get you denied for renewal.  Not to mention that you may have a high 1%-3% of home value deductible and it may not be worth it. 

If you have Renters insurance with a low deductible or a personal articles policy, then it would make sense to file a claim then.

Jiminraleigh
Contributor - Level 2

Patience_Gone,

Thanks for the clarification...

Renters insurance or just call your insurance company and ask what they have available and what it costs and what the deductible is.  I have been "TOLD" that Asurion is a bit expensive and has high deductibles...  My daughter got a better rate and coverage through her renter's insurance as a rider...on her Iphone - for $100 per year, or about 8 bucks a year - versus the $15 she was paying through Verizon. And she says she has almost no deductible.

0 Likes
Jiminraleigh
Contributor - Level 2

That should be about $8 per MONTH, not year....

0 Likes
Patience_Gone
Contributor - Level 3

For any smart phone I would recommend Asurion. I pay $8 a month and use my insurance plan at least 6 times a year including 2 replacements for cracked screens a $99 deductible. If you call Verizon without the insurance on a 13 month old $600 phone you level of customer service is totally different. Sorry we can't help you. After a year your phone is out of warranty.  With the $8 a month insurance if your phone starts acting crazy Verizon will troubleshoot and/or send you a new phone same model the very next day even if phone is 3 years old---no charge.  You may even get upgraded to the newer model in that line complimentary . I had an S3 for two years. It started having problems.  I called Verizon and they got permission to send me the S4 instead of another S3.  I love my S4 and I didn't have to use my upgrade.

It's well worth spending the $8 a month for the tech support, extended warranty, and insurance.

0 Likes