Help with contract terms , ETF when changing to new (full retail price) device?
sforsythe
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am beyond frustrated, I have spoken with 3 different agents and gotten 3 different answers regarding terms of contract and ETF.

My contract is until 11/22/2015, $70 for 4Gig, with $40 for 'subsidized/on-contract' phone (Note3).

I'm not sure what the phone cost would be off-contract , as it appears its different then the simple "Verizon Plan".

One rep said would drop $15  (vs $20 on Verizon plan).

My simple question, if I buy outright/full retail cost a new Iphone6s from Apple , and change my device .... what does that do to my contract?

a) Do I get an ETF for 'removing' Note3 from my account/contract?

b) Does the Iphone6s simply 'replace' the Note3 on my contract and stays at $40 until contract ends, then drops to whatever amount plan specifiies?

c) Does iphone6s get added to plan/contract and just $20 ? (and I have to "keep" the note3 on plan for $40 until 11/22 or have ETF???)

Literally 2 different answers:

1) First rep said option b ... no etf, but charge for device (iphone6s) would stay at the rate of the 'contacted' Note3 untill 11/22, then drop.

2) 2nd rep said Iphone would just go on plan as new device and be charge $20 , no EFT for Note3

Both seemed to claim verizon would just 'ignore' the contract as a new full retail device paid in full , insisting no etf on the NEW phone. 

My question is about an etf on the OLD phone

Can anyone give me any guidance and point to specific verbiage in Terms and Conditions that would help me????

Do I have any option other then 'pulling trigger' and just making switch and seeing what Verizon interprets contract after the fact? Is there anyway to get someone from Verizon to give official interpretation of contract PRIOR to making switch?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Help with contract terms , ETF when changing to new (full retail price) device?
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Swapping phones, removing the old phone and replacing it with a new one....no matter how you word it, it does NOT change your contract nor will it garner an ETF. As mentioned, an ETF is solely when you choose to close your account before you complete the contract. You are not required to keep the same phone on your account until the end of your contract. You may not be able to get another phone using the same method that you got the original (such as payment plan or if you got it at a subsidized price) but you can get a new phone if you choose to pay full retail. Hope that makes sense.

View solution in original post

Re: Help with contract terms , ETF when changing to new (full retail price) device?
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Your contract won't change. You will continue to pay the $40 line fee until your contract ends. Then it should drop down to $20 (if you're on the new plan). Someone can chime in to what it would be if you don't change your plan after the contract ends.

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

And no...you wouldn't pay an ETF. That only happens if you choose to close your account before the contract ends.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

Just so you have a consensus, kaebfly is correct.

buying a new device at full price and activating on your account has no effect on your account or contract.

0 Likes
sforsythe
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks, I know I'm being pendantic, but I see a difference between

>buying a new device at full price and activating on your account has no effect on your account or contract.

is not the same as,

>removing old device from account has _____  effect on account/contract.

IE switching the phone number to new device means you are effectively removing the old device.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

"b) Does the Iphone6s simply 'replace' the Note3 on my contract and stays at $40 until contract ends, then drops to whatever amount plan specifiies?"

Yes.  As others have noted, your contract won't change, you continue paying the same you are now until the contract is complete, you aren't terminating service so there is no ETF.  Buying a phone at full retail and swapping it for another phone on your line doesn't affect your contract.

kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Swapping phones, removing the old phone and replacing it with a new one....no matter how you word it, it does NOT change your contract nor will it garner an ETF. As mentioned, an ETF is solely when you choose to close your account before you complete the contract. You are not required to keep the same phone on your account until the end of your contract. You may not be able to get another phone using the same method that you got the original (such as payment plan or if you got it at a subsidized price) but you can get a new phone if you choose to pay full retail. Hope that makes sense.

mama23dogs
Legend

DItto....

You can also sell or keep your current phone, it is entirely up to you.

0 Likes
tjmack99
Contributor - Level 1

Sorry to hijack this thread, but just wanted to ask a follow-up question. Would any of the above be different if, instead of paying full price for the new device, you were financing it through Verizon and paying for it monthly?

Thanks!

Tim

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

What part of the above specifically? Being able to sell the phone? Changing phones on your account from the financed one to a different one?

0 Likes