Re: Help! Verizon credited my pymt to someone else's account!
Not applicable

Small claims costs $5-$25 depending on the amount. So its very cheap. Once you get the judgment you need only serve the local sheriffs department. Since she must know his social security being married to him he either pays up or the sheriff garnish his wages they add on a fee to collect it so he ends up paying the ex and the sheriff. It is quite easy and I have been to this court and won over four times.

Don't bother with the online dispute forms.it is just a waste of time.

Credit card companies give 90 days from the first time you became aware of the charge. So yes that may Bea problem.

Good Luck

0 Likes
Not applicable

lizdance40 wrote:

I am assuming you are not legally responsible for the soon-to-be-Ex's account, not on the account, didn't open the account, if you get what I mean?  

I'm sure different states have different laws but having been divorced and bills accrued by the other souse while marriage a company CAN get that money form the other spouse. I know because I got hit with bad credit report for refusing to pay my ex's bill that she ran up on her own while we were married and even though we both agreed in our divorce agreement that we would only be responsible for our own bills. The bill collector didn't care that I had nothing to do with her bill or any divorce agreement. We were married when she ran up the bill, she wouldn't pay so they said I had to. I refused and BAM 7 years of her garbage on my credit report.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Online dispute is not a waste of time.   My credit card company isn't local, so I have no other option.  I have used it rarely, but the matter was resolved and I got my money back right away.

The time limit may vary on filling out the dispute, the sooner done the sooner she gets money back.

Verizon holds one person responsible, and has that person's SSN on the account.  They don't even have names for the other phones.

0 Likes
Not applicable

If your ex ran up a bill during the marriage, most states consider it joint debt, even if your name isn't on the bills.

And, yes it's your problem to see it gets paid.

You are also responsible to make sure your name is not on credit lines with your ex-spouse after the divorce.

BUT

If she disclosed the debt and agreed in the divorce to assume responsibility, the divorce documents are your recourse to get the money from her.

If she did not disclose the debt in the divorce, she is guilty of fraud and you can still get the money back from her.  (blood from a stone?)

In both cases, It means reopening the divorce case.   uhg!

My first husband's entire family believed in running up a ton of debt, living large, and let life insurance pay for it later.

He left me with many debts, all in my name (not so stupid, but a real jerk)

0 Likes
Not applicable

It makes no difference if the card issurer is local or in another state or country of issue.

You simply dispute the charge, state and federal laws govern what the card issurer has to do. They can and will put a temporary credit of the disputed amount back on your card or in your bank account.

They will fight with verizon after they do a charge back. If their investigation shows you the card or bank customer was correct the credit is placed permentatly on your card or bank account

Use the verizon dispute form is a risk, doing it through the credit card company is much faster. Verizon is not noted for returning money back. Google it and be amazed.

Good Luck

0 Likes