Guidance needed for non user ... so to speak...
doonboggle

First off, I know nothing of value regarding wireless through VZ.  

So if this is not a proper place to post, perhaps you can advise, and will move over there.

While we have a cell phone, it is only for usage when on a trip out of town ... and we do not use it even at home ..... except to 'burn' off the minutes now and then, rather than losing them.

We use a satelitte service for our internet.  Have used it for last 4-5 years; but recently read something that leads me to believe that perhaps a cell phone may be a better option.

Why a better option ... because the satelitte service, while being faster than dialup, is not that much better ... now that the places where the feed goes up and down has become over crowded with users; versus years ago when it was not crowded ... and to try to get the satelitte company (WildBlue) to move our account is ignored.

Our fee with WB is 50.00 per month.

So am open for education ... not only in the poor service addressing, but also fees.

Our cell phone fee is 10.00 per month ... "Prepay".  As to how many minutes that gives us, don't really know because we have never used them all up ... and the total minutes keep building up each time we send in our 30.00 dollars.

I did once, a few years ago, acquire the necessary program and hook-up stuff to use the cell phone for modum when on the road.

At home, my desktop and laptop are  wireless, and wireless router and modem that WB provides.

Wife's desktop, older Dell, is hooked up to the system via wire into the router.

Sorry to be so wordy, but trying to post stuff you may need toknow.

So, can someone educate me please regarding if there is any advantage to switch over to VZ ... our carrier in our town ... speedwise and or possibly total fees based on what I reveal above.

OH .... being that our cell phone is 3-4+ years old, presume it to not be ... bluetooth ??? --- equipped.

Thank you

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Guidance needed for non user ... so to speak...
wardjc58

The best advice I can offer is to visit your local verizon store or authorized dealer. Folks there would be in a much better position to answer your questions and assess how your needs match to their services.

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

Are you thinking of using Verizon for mobile broadband service and getting rid of WildBlue? Here's a page that explains some of the options:http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/mobilebroadband/?page=plans

You can also get a smartphone, such as an Android or Palm, that can be used as a mobile hotspot for up to five devices. There is an extra charge to use an Android phone as a hotspot, but mobile hotspot is still free on a Palm Pixi Plus. Since you don't use many minutes, you could get the basic calling package for $39.99, then a required data package for smartphones. Keep in mind that all these mobile broadband options have caps on data usage. However, you can get unlimited data on a smartphone and won't have to worry about it on that device (mobile hotspot is not unlimited).

Hope this helps. As the previous poster said, call customer service or visit a corporate store and someone will suggest solutions for you.

0 Likes
doonboggle

Are you thinking of using Verizon for mobile broadband service and getting rid of WildBlue? Here's a page that explains some of the options:http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/mobilebroadband/?page=plans

You can also get a smartphone, such as an Android or Palm, that can be used as a mobile hotspot for up to five devices. There is an extra charge to use an Android phone as a hotspot, but mobile hotspot is still free on a Palm Pixi Plus. Since you don't use many minutes, you could get the basic calling package for $39.99, then a required data package for smartphones. Keep in mind that all these mobile broadband options have caps on data usage. However, you can get unlimited data on a smartphone and won't have to worry about it on that device (mobile hotspot is not unlimited).

Hope this helps. As the previous poster said, call customer service or visit a corporate store and someone will suggest solutions for you.

As soon as we go to the city again, I plan on just that ... going to the VZ 'store'.  The community we live in, all 3k of folks ... no stoplights, etc. ... is remote and isolated, as is much of America.  Seems that only the folks in the big metropolis units get all the bells and whistles of these **bleep** companies.......even though our community has ALL the Fed. Govt. offices in it.

As a result of that fact, the only access I have, as a former DSL user, is wireless ... which is 'probably' about 1/3 to 1/2 faster than dialup.  I got spoiled with DSL, and curse every day when on the internet.  Thought satelitte would solve the problem ... but does not ... only more $$ out the door for lousy results ..... due to latency of course.

So when I read about EVDO, it appealed.

But now, after all this time, I am hearing that I may not gain that much to justify all the extra charges.  Our 'little' cell phone runs us 10.00 per month ... and we NEVER use the minutes provided. 

I just do not see any speed advantage by changing.

So I am at a standstill...........and am thinking of forgetting it all as not worth changing ... and letting the cell phone minutes die a death by not renewing the quarterly charges...... especially since we discovered on our last RV trip that all we need to do to connect for messages, is park behind the motel complex, and use the wireless laptop to signin on a unsecured wireless connection.  Piece of cake.............

0 Likes